PARC : Unseen hand of the information age

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Xerox's Palo Alto Research Centre (PARC for short) may not be a household name. Many of their innovations were licensed or sold and brought to market by other companies. However, their fingerprints are all over the tech we use to work, play, and communicate in the 21st century.

Some examples (see the linked article for more):

Laser printers
Ethernet (if you plug your computer in to a network instead of using wi-fi, you are using Ethernet)
Graphical interfaces (Apple and Microsoft popularized it with Mac and Windows, but they were starting from PARC developments.)
Mice (goes hand-in-hand with above)
Graphic/video editing software (for which the researchers won both an Oscar and an Emmy)

And that's just in their first 50 years. PARC is still in operation and still innovating.

Ritafee

IAMWHATIAM
Reaction score
When Steve Jobs confronted Gates and accused him of theft, Gates made a rather famous statement:

"I think it’s more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it."

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Sums it up rather accurately. Apple going after MS over a technology that Xerox PARC developed was the height of both irony and arrogance.

Inannawhimsey

M&M, Cascadian Lovers
Reaction score
Neet Mendalla

What inspires you to write aboot PARC?

#MutualAid
#BeNotAfraid
#SystemicWhimsey
#JoyPrivilege

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Neet Mendalla

What inspires you to write aboot PARC?

#MutualAid
#BeNotAfraid
#SystemicWhimsey
#JoyPrivilege
30 years working in IT or at least adjacent to it. I've probably used more of their innovations than most, in other words. And, frankly, I admire people who can innovate like that. It takes talent, knowledge and imagination to come up with stuff like this. I've got the imagination and knowledge, but don't have a natural talent for programming logic. So I can go "hey, it would be cool if we could do this" and have a good idea of how to implement it, but I need someone else to put it all together code-wise.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
Some people just have some natural algorithmic talent. I probably would have been more into it, earlier, if it had had a greater tolerance for typos. I used to get so god-damned angry when testing code to have it just spit something back angry when I'd used a semi-colon instead of a colon.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Some people just have some natural algorithmic talent.
Tell me about it. I spawned one of them. He is now working in the chip design field, a place where I wouldn't have a hope in hell.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
My sister's a bit that way inclined. Graduated from a CP/A program, worked in the field for a few years, then discovered she couldn't do "business" or "indoors". Now, she "fixes/customizes" knitting patterns, and if that isn't the original algorithm (actually, weaving silk may have been), I don't know what is.

Luce NDs

Reaction score
This world is built on irony and hubris ... and thus the winds blow ... something to lean into? Like watching Gone With the Wind or Mobius'd ICH!

Where it blew there was a breaching ... much like canon! Say one thing ... while meaning something alternate ... for the truth hurts ...