Our beloved Matthew passed away

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

DaisyJane

I probably should be working.
I have always been fairly open about our life with Matthew here on WC2, and previously on WC. Matthew had a rough winter and died of complications of a respiratory infection early Sunday morning (not COVID).

Here is a copy of his obituary. I have removed some confidential information - but you get the gist.

It is with broken hearts that our family announces the passing of their beloved Matthew, son of DaisyJane and Hubby, after a brief illness on March 29, 2020 at the age of 21.

Matthew loved bubbles, Disney cartoons, music, outings, and XYZ sports team. He loved watching hockey with his older brother, and musicals with his younger brother. He spent many hours with his devoted caregiver, and “other mother”.

Our deepest gratitude is extended to a dedicated group of caregivers, too numerous to list, who ensured Matthew’s best life over the years. Matthew loved going to the movies, bowling, swimming, and was a frequent sight rolling through the neighbourhood.

Heartfelt thanks is extended to the Day program, where Matthew spent his daytime hours over the last several years, and The Lodge, which offered wonderful respite care during Matthew’s later years. Deep appreciation must be extended to the ICU which provided skilled and compassionate care during the last few months of his life.

A celebration of Matthew’s life will be planned at a later date.

I'm sorry for your loss. As you know, I've seen your pictures of him on FB. I have been struck by his amazing big smile. He had an infectious smile and I suspect that translated into a great laugh. Sending you prayers and hugs at this difficult time.

Oh, no, I am so sorry to hear that. I can’t even imagine what it would be like to loose a child. I hope that even in the times of social distancing there will be enough people close to you to provide a shoulder to cry on. I am thinking of you and your family and “ holding you in the Light” ( as Quaker say).

Oh dear. I am so sorry and shocked to read this. in This alternative universe I really cared for Matthew, which seems so strange. Yet through you , I felt I knew him

what a long slog this winter has been for you, Matthew and your entire family

i Hope you all spend time this week, sharing memories, laughing about funny times and reflecting on his life

you are in my thoughts and prayers. Peace be with you

Oh DaisyJane, I am so sorry to hear this. You never made a secret of how bad things were getting but I still wasn't expecting to see this when I came on. Hugs and prayers to you and all your family.

I'm so sorry. I'm aware things aren't even 'normal' right now for dealing with services, connecting with family, etc. I hope you feel love and support now even with the unusual times.
Thoughts and prayers with you and your family.

Oh, Daisy Jane, I am so sorry to hear this news. Condolences to you and your family.

Have just been thinking of Matthew dying at the age of 21. When I joined the original WC, you were there sharing your story. Wow, he was just a little guy then!

Wishing you peace.

So very sorry,DaisyJane, to hear about his passing. Our condolences to his family and friends.

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your son DaisyJane.....he was such an inspiration through the stories you shared with us.
May you find comfort in God as you and your family mourn the loss of your child.

It's been a long journey. I love the tribute you wrote - thank you for sharing that. I'm glad you will be able to gather with close family soon, and later for a wider celebration of life - for indeed Matthew seemed to know how to celebrate all the bits of life many of us sometimes overlook. I love the photos of his wonder-filled smile and the laughter shared - touching so many people in unexpected ways. Trusting you will all continue to hold each other close and lean into the love around you. Sharing your sadness at this tender time.

I am so very sorry for your loss. Matthew was blessed to be a part of such a loving family. Please accept my deepest sympathies.

So sorry, Daisyjane. Words really fail. You know that the virtual hugs and shoulders here are without limit, as soars Matthew's spirit now.

Daisy Jane, I really don't know what to say. Such a shock. Matthew has been part of wonder Café since the beginning. Although I only met him, and you, for a few hours at Five Oaks picnic, I felt both of you were a very important part of this virtual community. May you find comfort in knowing that you gave Matthew the best life possible, and that you both were an inspiration to those whose lives you touched.
My deepest sympathy. :cry: :cry:

Daisy Jane, condolences to you and your family. Although I knew Matthew was very ill, it was a shock to read this. He was fortunate to have had such a great Mum........

I have always been fairly open about our life with Matthew here on WC2,
I am grateful for the insights. Yours was the gentle aggression in service to unconditional love that is so longed for by us all. Matthew was most certainly blessed whole heartly by your family and extended care givers. By your telling ... I am convinced of Matthew's 'ability' to 'give as good as he got' - praise be for that. Sorrow for yours and all your relations loss.

I only just noticed this post and I am so saddened for you all. Matthew seemed to have a great ability to see joy in the little things (a good example to us all). He will be missed by many, even those of us who weren't able to meet him. Cyber hugs to you as you walk this part of your road through life.

So sorry Daisyjane….can't imagine the sorrow....Cherish the memory of every single smile.

Back