Nine dead in Toronto

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Tabitha

journeying
I read elsewhere that the shooter has a diagnosis of autism. The article was pointing out that not every young man with autism does this, It was from a classmate of the shooter.

Reactions: Jae

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
I read elsewhere that the shooter has a diagnosis of autism. The article was pointing out that not every young man with autism does this, It was from a classmate of the shooter.
We shouldn’t be feeding into those prejudices towards people with Autism being all unable to have empathy and build relationships. If he was left handed, would we look suspiciously to everyone left handed?
I know people with high functioning autism who are very empathetic and social.
It was his overall mental health that pushed him over the edge.

revjohn

Yeah. No actual diagnosis of ASD presently.

Possibility of a potential diagnosis has been suggested and the allegations that the shooters responsible for Sandy Hook and Parkland were also on the Autism Spectrum of Disabilities.

Score one for the anti-vaxxers.

It seems his connection to incel is not terrifying enough on its own.

Luce NDs

Yeah. No actual diagnosis of ASD presently.

Possibility of a potential diagnosis has been suggested and the allegations that the shooters responsible for Sandy Hook and Parkland were also on the Autism Spectrum of Disabilities.

Score one for the anti-vaxxers.

It seems his connection to incel is not terrifying enough on its own.

Entanglement, and uncertainty causes some to unravel and become seamy! While the light in the story goes on as buried talents ...

Did you know that light was sometimes a metaphor for wisdom or sentiens ... an upstanding attribute when affiliated with an empty shell ... a' D'm thingy? Deuce or Deus of a thing that should be studied from at least both ends due to unseen synchronicity ... the Dan's goes on ... storied myth? Tis a mystery ... like homo ... common man in two parts immiscible ... except on occasions when complexes!

revsdd

What I understand is that the young man claims to be autistic, not that there is an actual diagnosis of autism.

Carolla said:
I watched the vigil held outdoors in Mel Lastman Square tonight - anybody else catch it?

I watched it last night and thought it was very well done. I thought most of the "religious" speakers (for lack of a better word) were very respectful of the diverse nature of the audience and the whole thing was quite well done. I also appreciated that none of the politicians present spoke, but simply attended.

I was also impressed that Quebec Premier Philippe Couillard attended the vigil. Couillard is probably the most "federalist" premier Quebec has had in a very, very long time. Most other Quebec premiers probably wouldn't have bothered attending a vigil for something that happened outside Quebec, and it probably wouldn't score him any political points back home, so it seems to have been a very sincere gesture and I think it says something about Canadians - that in spite of our diversity and differences and disagreements we can pull together in times of crisis.

Ritafee

Is Being Human
Agreed. It's like no-one has noticed that 97% of the humans slaughtering others in sickening acts of mass violence are almost to a one, disaffected young (and usually white) males.

That pretty much describes the basic training of soldiers recruited by the military and coincidentally ...
  • Mr. Minassian’s Facebook message contained codes and a message echoing formats used by the Canadian Armed Forces. The Canadian military confirmed Tuesday that Mr. Minassian enlisted on Aug. 23, 2017, and attended basic training in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Que., as all new CAF recruits do. He requested to be voluntarily released after 16 days of basic training, the CAF said.

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Re the vigil - I also heard from a well-place source that all the media present had to sign an agreement ahead of time to NOT photograph family members attending the vigil. They were all seated together in a specific location & this was honoured - privacy in grief - a new concept for media!! I was very glad to hear that standard set - now if only they would carry it forward into other coverage.

Carolla

wondering & wandering
I was surprised when I watching the vigil that there were no Sikh presenters - then on Monday I read in the paper that the Sikhs were celebrating Khalsa Day elsewhere, so I suppose/assume they were all otherwise occupied. I was relieved actually, as we have a very large Sikh population in Toronto, I saw some folks in the crowd, and a couple of government people, and I wondered how this could have been an oversight.

Lastpointe

So the trial is now underway in Toronto for the van attack The accused has admitted killing the people and attempting to kill the others. Not in dispute

what is in dispute is his state of mind. While calm and lucid during his interviews he is pleading not criminally responsible

today is appears that a defense psychiatrist is saying that his Aspergers Syndrome, which I am not sure has been diagnosed or not as it wasn’t clear in the article, but that his Asperger’s syndrome makes his mental state akin to Psychosis

yikes. I don’t think we can have a court of law accept that AsBerger’s is the same as psychosis. What about all the thousands of people who manage ell while being on the Autism spectrum.

that is like saying a person with a mental disease of some sort is dangerous

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Isn't that the stereotype of psychosis anyway? I mean, not all psychotics are dangerous killers either but people assume they are. But Asperger's seems rather far removed from psychosis in any case. And it is not like the guy had a psychotic break or something while driving. He planned it all fairly carefully and his lawyers agreed with that in the statement of facts. Frankly, if he gets anything less than life, whether that's in a prison or a mental hospital, something is awry. It was a pre-meditated brutal attack regardless of why he did it and that suggests risk to society.

Luce NDs

So the trial is now underway in Toronto for the van attack The accused has admitted killing the people and attempting to kill the others. Not in dispute

what is in dispute is his state of mind. While calm and lucid during his interviews he is pleading not criminally responsible

today is appears that a defense psychiatrist is saying that his Aspergers Syndrome, which I am not sure has been diagnosed or not as it wasn’t clear in the article, but that his Asperger’s syndrome makes his mental state akin to Psychosis

yikes. I don’t think we can have a court of law accept that AsBerger’s is the same as psychosis. What about all the thousands of people who manage ell while being on the Autism spectrum.

Next is the favoured resolution of shooting all that are not elite and insane! That is a very encompassing limitation ...

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Agreed re psychosis not being necessarily dangerous, but a psychotic break is a clear, definite redefinition of reality for that person. The wyrdest thing is that they rarely remember them, or at least not in a "normal" way.

ChemGal

One with keen eye

Weird, Asperger syndrome isn't even a diagnosis given anymore.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Weird, Asperger syndrome isn't even a diagnosis given anymore.

Agreed. It's either "autism spectrum" or neuro-atypical. And it certainly seems a wyrd defense.

I have some experience with a few people on the spectrum. And what strikes me, generally, besides their often fascinating talents ("Phil" can locate himself spatially anywhere in our City, like a living Googlemaps), but their apparent determination to "do no harm" on a lot of levels. They may blurt out inappropriately honest things (from the perspective of a neurotypical), but they will almost always be "kindly" meant; another of my friends is incredibly gentle with "critters" of every sort.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Agreed. It's either "autism spectrum" or neuro-atypical. And it certainly seems a wyrd defense.
Given that the guy basically confessed to first degree murder, this is probably the only line of defense the lawyer has. Could have chosen his mental health terms more carefully, though.

Waterfall

They will be able to cite some examples such as the Sandy Hook murders....the shooter was said to have aspergers. And there are others.
He may be better off in a psychiatric facility than a prison.

Luce NDs

The divide between neurosis and psychosis can really confuse anything normal into a state of anarchy ... furthering chaos!

This realm appears to be created for turbulence under the bridge! Assis the support of what appears to be the chosen state ... heaven being quiet, dark, mysterious and boring as a good read to the mostly illiterate skillset!

Does Trump read? He claims not! Does he lie about in a dark state? Moor to be investigated in the stiff winds ... dogs me!