Netflix & Streaming Services

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I pressed play on the Goop documentary. I read it was an inadvertently awful attempt by Gweneth Paltrow to promote her company. I had to check it out for myself. Awful, it was. I had to turn it off after 10 minutes. I didn’t even get through the intro segment. I couldn’t decide whether I felt more like laughing or vomiting. I have less of a problem with adults choosing these things for themselves than I do with the way it was presented and who was presenting it and how. I live in a place where that lifestyle and attitude isn’t exactly unfamiliar to me. It’s very common around here. But this was just one big embarrassing infomercial for them.

Last edited:
Self presentation can be purely flattering to the centered Ego ... thus hubris arises ... the essence goes on socially ... with civil crowds drawing shots from tyrants ... all connected to Pokemkin ... and Poke Heh Mon in the Crimea ... tyr*aids?

Well I just finished watching the Dirty John seasons on Netflix.....quite the roller coaster ride. Based on true stories of women (so far), each season dedicates itself to a real life crime and attempts to delve into the complexities of the cases. Each season is eight episodes.
The first season was about a woman who met a very manipulating man on a dating site and how he slowly turned into someone who became her worst nightmare for her and her family.
The second season, I found very interesting. It was based on the Betty Broderick story which begins on how she met her husband, married and became a stay at home Mom raising their four children while he became a doctor and then switched to being a lawyer that sues doctors for malpractice. All the while as she helps to support the family financially and also through student loans. He becomes very successful and they appear to have earned a very good life...financially anyway. But of course, when you reach your goals sometimes it's not enough and the husband decides to have an affair and eventually leave his wife. What happens down the road portrays a husband that pushes his wife to the limit, in a gas lighting sort of way......but at the same time, does that justify what Betty finally decided to do about it? It raises alot of questions and left me wanting more answers but it was intriguing.
What happened to Betty afterward seemed overly harsh, but then again was it? She remains in jail 32 years later and has been denied parole twice because of lack of remorse. She is now in her 70's and won't be up for parole again until she's in her eighties.......
I found it wracked my mind with extreme sympathy, anger, but understanding justice had to be served. I then had to ask myself if the judge was too harsh with the sentence or if I was being too sympathetic and maybe it was justified.

I started watching 2 series. I wanted them to be entertaining, not too based in reality. I needed a break from reality.

One is Umbrella Academy - about a family of siblings "adopted" by an eccentric rich man. All but one has some kind of superpower. It's fun.

The other is Lucifer. About, Lucifer deciding to leave Hell and go to LA where he poses as a good looking nightclub owner with a British accent, is a player with women, and compels people to tell him their desires and grants "wishes" to people. He ends up working with a homicide detective, helping her solve cases. She doesn't believe he is who he is. And he can't break her resolve. He's sleeping with his shrink, as payment. She thinks his talk about being the devil is metaphor. It's kind of trashy - some stupid "fight" scenes and erroneous biblical references (the writers didn't do their research as well as they could've - though they probably didn't think their target audience would notice or care) but overall fun. It's been on for 5 seasons. I decided to check it out.

Last edited:
I went back to watching Outlander. We haven't had Bravo or whatever channel it was on for some time so I hadn't watched it for a while. It was fun visiting the characters again. I've read all but the last book in the series so was skeptical about the series. They did a pretty decent job.

Took a shot at the anime Neon Genesis Evangelion. It is highly regarded by anime fans and the s-f/fantasy bits are very well done. However, the human interaction bits ... yeah. Let's just say there's a scene between the male protagonist and one of the female main characters that's right out of Three's Company or similar. Jiggle show all the way. Not sure if I will pursue it or not, but this is one of the things that has kept me away from anime in spite of it hitting a lot of my usual buttons. Character relationships are handled in rather immature, juvenile ways a lot of the time, a contrast to the often fairly sophisticated s-f main plot lines.

Ratchet - supposedly written as a prequel to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - is good so far; in an edge of your seat sort of way. Young Nurse Ratchet is a manipulative psychopath with a backstory. It's dark satire - the surreal and eerily beautiful hospital is weird. It looks like a luxury hotel from back in those days. It's supposed to throw us for a loop, I think. The acting, 40s/50s sets, costumes, are all really well done. Violence in the pilot episode was bad - you might want to cover your eyes when you suspect it's coming - but the next episode was not so violent. It's part dark satire, and psychological thriller - there's a shadowy film noir quality about it - with some weirdly funny (and peculiar) bits.

This one is good movie quality.

Last edited:
Ok- some more blood and gore in Ratchet. Don't like that. Avert your eyes - you'll know when. The show is still holding my attention though. Lots of plot twists and turns.

Immagine a young nurse well-cranked ... with mind that's bolted from the virtual reality of life demanding walking softly, etc.

Ratchet - supposedly written as a prequel to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - is good so far; in an edge of your seat sort of way. Young Nurse Ratchet is a manipulative psychopath with a backstory. It's dark satire - the surreal and eerily beautiful hospital is weird. It looks like a luxury hotel from back in those days. It's supposed to throw us for a loop, I think. The acting, 40s/50s sets, costumes, are all really well done. Violence in the pilot episode was bad - you might want to cover your eyes when you suspect it's coming - but the next episode was not so violent. It's part dark satire, and psychological thriller - there's a shadowy film noir quality about it - with some weirdly funny (and peculiar) bits.

This one is good movie quality.
I have to disagree with you on this one.....this whole show is a mess IMO and I got as far as the second episode before I shut it down forever. This series seems to be very loosely based on Nurse Ratchet from One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest.....and indirectly trashes a more brilliant movie.
But that's just my opinion, carry on....... :)

I have to disagree with you on this one.....this whole show is a mess IMO and I got as far as the second episode before I shut it down forever. This series seems to be very loosely based on Nurse Ratchet from One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest.....and indirectly trashes a more brilliant movie.
I too turned it off. Wasn't my cup of tea

What we have watched so far (includes Netflix, Amazon Prime and IPTV). I am sure I have missed some. Way to much TV. LOL

Better Call Saul
Big Little Lies
Breaking Bad
Dexter
Hanna
Little Fires Everywhere
Lost In Space
Ozark
Sense8
Stranger Things (not all)
The Assassination of Gianni Versace
The Good Fight
The Mentalist
The Umbrella Academy
The Widow
True Detective
Watchmen

I enjoyed Ratched, I don't think it was brilliantly done, some of the stuff was lazy, and it's far from politically correct with mental illnesses. I did find it a fun watch though, and I do view it more at poking fun at how people/media portrayed mental illnesses in the time period, rather than poking fun at the mental illnesses themselves.

Just finished Broardchurch. Great Brit mystery. Three seasons. Revolves around two detectives and the murder of a young boy though each season has a new crime. Very good

also really liked Doc Martin. Another Brit show. 6 seasons I think. Oth shows have increased tourism to their respective areas which is quite cute

Broadchurch was a most excellent series; enjoyed it thoroughly. Brit "cop" shows are, imho, "smarter" than North American ones, and I can't help but think that taking guns largely out of the equation is part of that "smartness".

Oh, it doesn't do justice to the movie, agreed - it's somebody's imaginary take on that character's past - I think I just love the sets and costumes. And it's weird. But I'm hooked.

I enjoyed Ratched, I don't think it was brilliantly done, some of the stuff was lazy, and it's far from politically correct with mental illnesses. I did find it a fun watch though, and I do view it more at poking fun at how people/media portrayed mental illnesses in the time period, rather than poking fun at the mental illnesses themselves.
It's far from politically correct. That's the point of shocking us. But things were bad then. And people were ignorant then.

Back