Netflix & Streaming Services

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

We're watching 13th right now. It's very enlightening. Good information if you want to learn more about systemic racism. Have you seen this @Kimmio Laughterlove
No. Not yet. I'm just almost through - a few minutes left - watching LA92, a National Geographic produced documentary about the Rodney King beating, trial and riots. The footage is at times incredible, shocking, horrific - but it's riveting. I had to take breaks though - too intense. It’s hard to look at at times. I highly recommend breaks, too. To think about it in chunks. It follows exactly what happened - and the public reaction all the way through...and some of the creepy politicians and lawyers are astounding. The court decision and the f@#%ing horrible bureaucrats of the time...snakes. One can understand the anger in the black community. But then the response by some of the rioters was barbaric. I was In my late teens/ early 20s back then. I remember some of the news but this is a powerful retrospective on what happened.

It's fascinating. And sad. More damage and devastation was wrought in a short time in LA than in the George Floyd protests around the whole world this time. I realize harm has been done in some of these protests (and a lot of it was by the police response) but it's, as far as the protests go, an improvement over the riots in LA. So, maybe it’s slow, but humanity is learning?

It's a (strongly recommended) must watch. I was actually thinking, as a debrief and a good topic to discuss, that I might start a thread if others want to watch it and discuss.

Last edited:
Aaaaaand I am finally back on Netflix.

Started a rewatch of season 2 of Castlevania to refresh myself before watching season 3 (which came out during my Netflix break). Dracula, the main antagonist in seasons 1 & 2 was defeated at the end of 2 so I'll be interested to see what they do with the series going forward.

Have also been watching Love, Death + Robots. It's an anthology series of animated shorts (5-20 min), mostly based on s-f and fantasy short stories. Authors adapted include some fairly big names in sff literature like Joe Lansdale, John Scalzi, Alastair Reynolds, and Michael Swanwick. It's the brainchild of film directors Tim Miller (Deadpool) and David Fincher (Seven, The Social Network), who originally wanted to remake/reboot the eighties fantasy anthology film Heavy Metal (which itself was derived from a fantasy comic of the same name) but couldn't find backers. A different director and animation house do each one so there's some variety in the styles. Quite good overall but, as you might expect, some are better than others. The subjects are all over the map from some light, humourous pieces (Three Robots, about robot tourists visiting a post-human, post-apocalyptic Earth) to some fairly dark stuff (Beyond the Aquila Rift, about a starship captain whose ship has mysteriously gone off course, leading to a surprise encounter with an old lover). Recommended with the proviso that violence, gore and softcore sex do happen, sometimes quite explicitly.

We've been watching Murdoch Mysteries on Netflix. We're still on season 1 and noticed a boo boo. Murdoch referred to London, Paris and Cambridge. Cambridge did not exist in Murdoch's time, it was Galt, Preston and Hespeller. :)

We have Crave now and have been watching Reign which is about Mary Queen of Scots with some creative licence. I've been watching Doctor Who. I'm enjoying both series.

But are they talking about Ontario Canada? It could be the original Paris, London and Cambridge.

I haven't seen the episode but @Northwind has so if she thinks they were referencing the Ontario communities, I think that's likely. And Cambridge, UK is hardly on par with London, UK and Paris, France, mostly just a university town, so kind of odd to reference it with them.

Given that the UK Cambridge is not itself a major city on par with the European London and Paris, seems unlikely. And Murdoch Mysteries is about a detective in nineteenth (or very early twentieth?) century Canada, so it seems probably the reference is to the Ontario communities.
Oh I didn't know that....I don't watch the series and didn't realize it was in Canada.

I watched One of Us last night. It’s a documentary about three people who tried, with various success and setbacks, to leave their very insular Hasidic communities in New York. It’s similar to the drama Unorthodox, which is excellent. As for the documentary, I wish they’d followed up a bit more with the people they featured, or spent more time focusing on one or two people, instead of three - but it was otherwise well done.

It is regularly filmed in the Galt portion of Cambridge.

Some filling has been done at the church that i used to attend.

It is fun to watch them transform the buildings.

Note: the handmaid's tale is also filmed there

And I just learned that V-Wars, a vampire-sf series that is on NF was shot in Sudbury and Cambridge. They cancelled it after a single season, though. I was eyeballing it but it sounds rather like Guillermo Del Toro's The Strain (vampires take over the world stuff).

I have kinda ignored this thread but with COVID we are watching Amazon Prime and Netflix now more than ever. Probably won't go back to network TV again. I I can see why so many have cut ties with cable and satellite TV.

I think it is available on CBC's Gem streaming service, too, but not sure what seasons. Not really on my radar.

We have a Roku and so far can't get CBC on it. The only Canadian channel we can get is Global.

filling has been done at the church that i used to attend

Was that the church we attended together? One scene in the church had a room that looked very familiar to me. Not all the church scenes, just some

Was that the church we attended together? One scene in the church had a room that looked very familiar to me. Not all the church scenes, just some
Yes, they used a different church for most, I think., but Wesley definitely had filming done.
The market also did

Back