Myers-Briggs Validity

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

also, different points of view can bring different aspects of reality into 'existence' for the viewer

the more lenses, the more fun :3

It's best to have a variety of different perspectives. As part of year one in seminary - they had us do a number of different tests and assessments including a stress test - a genogram - FIRO-B - and the MBTI-II.

http://www.vox.com/2014/7/15/5881947/myers-briggs-personality-test-meaningless

I tend to agree with the article. It can be fun to do, but isn't really meaningful.
I missed this...Disagree. I think it's quite meaningful. It's not just for fun. It's a widely used and respected career exploration tool, for example, by professionals. If you go into a job based only on IQ or physical competency to do the job, you're likely to be miserable and stressed without considering other factors. Putting it down will propogate an idea that it's not necessary, and encourage the practice of trying to push square pegs into round holes.

Have yours done professionally and see for yourself how close it is to describing you before you knock it. It's not meant to be an exact science (so don't think of it that way) - but to give some insight - and it's not a horoscoope, either. There is some science behind it. But not everything has to be an exact science to be helpful and meaningful. That dominant perspective frustrates me so - because I'm in INFP. :p

Last edited:
If you go into a job based only on IQ or physical competency to do the job, you're likely to be miserable and stressed without considering other factors.
I agree with that, but I don't think the MBTI is a good basis for determining the best job.
I've come across numerous articles similar to what's been posted in the OP. Some were much better in explaining the issues, this one just happened to come up recently, so it's the one I shared.

Usually career professionals will use a combination of tools. That one gives a good starting point/ overview. Then, when combined with others, when they all come out showing similar recommendations it's a pretty good indication that there's some validity to the MBTI. It's when they cut corners and don't use it, I think people should be more concerned.

Reactions: Jae
If you find yourself unemployed and have to go to an employment office - for starters, the worker is not likely to be a psychologist trained in administering the really comprehensive tools. You would have to pay out of pocket, which few unemployed people can afford. Secondly, they will use whatever tools their program endorses as a basis for determining, with you, the next steps. Usually, it's just looking at finding another job based on existing skills and experience, and establishing some routine and support to do so. However, sometimes a person cannot do what they were doing before because of outdated skillsets and/ or disability and need training for a new career. The worker will use the outcome of various tests to determine what training a person might need to pursue, and help them build a case for applying for EI funding, etc. you will not get EI funding without going through that. The problem is though, because of cutting corners, often people won't even get an MBTI test, but some in house, less credible, tests administered and then shoved into things that are more likely to backfire for the client and end up being a waste of time and resources. Ultimately, you have to be your own advocate, and ultimately, you know yourself best. It's your life, and your future. Remember that. It's not the same as medicine and disease.

One way in which people misuse the MBTI is in deciding that only certain careers are appropriate for themselves and/or others.

Ultimately, you have to be your own advocate, and ultimately, you know yourself best. It's your life, and your future. Remember that. It's not the same as medicine and disease.
That sounds exactly like medicine and disease actually. You still haven't shown where there's evidence for MBTI's validity.

MBTI is interesting but - really - it is all a piece of crap - says this ardent ISFP.

Back