Movies you have watched

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Pronouns
She/Her/Her
I watched The Father"

Dang, too much that is still too recent to enjoy as a movie.

I did like the analogy of a tree losing its leaves.

If you have never experienced dementia, you may enjoy it
I've avoided it ... as you say JayneWonders - a little close to home & work for me.

JayneWonders

Pronouns
She/Her/Her
Watched Rhythym Section"
Quite enjoyed but it got seriously panned by critics.

Think might, Cia, terrorist plot

Waterfall

I just watched "The Great Seduction" on Netflix.....
Starts out a tad slow for the first 10 minutes but believe me it's worth the wait.....lot's of laughs and a good story. There's no Academy awards attached to the picture, and I'd never heard of the movie before but it pleasantly surprised me....found myself laughing out loud many times.
Takes place in the fictional harbour of Tickle Head, Newfoundland starring Gordon Pinsent and Don McKellar.
I recommend the movie and the scenery is a bonus.

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Pronouns
She/Her/Her
I just watched "The Great Seduction" on Netflix.....
Starts out a tad slow for the first 10 minutes but believe me it's worth the wait.....lot's of laughs and a good story. There's no Academy awards attached to the picture, and I'd never heard of the movie before but it pleasantly surprised me....found myself laughing out loud many times.
Takes place in the fictional harbour of Tickle Head, Newfoundland starring Gordon Pinsent and Don McKellar.
I recommend the movie and the scenery is a bonus.
Grand Seduction is a great movie @Waterfall! We loved it - so many interesting characters! When we visited Trinity NL, we went a little further on to the site where the TV series Random Passage was filmed (fabulous tour - recommend it if you ever get out that way, and the series was great too). Adjacent to it, is the building that was constructed as "Joe's Place" bar for The Grand Seduction. It was fascinating to see. They had plans to improve it a bit (add proper electricity & running water!) to use it for events etc. The film crews, after creating these incredible locations to film the movies, left them intact & handed them back to the community - who now maintain them & have generated quite a lot of tourism. If you visit this part of Newfoundland, you can be a star | Saltwire

JayneWonders

Pronouns
She/Her/Her
I watched "Beautiful Boy" (library rental)

It's a story of addiction and the family impact, and transformation as they learn about addiction.

This one was sad for me, in part as our family is currently coping with another episode in a series of episodes as someone falls into the later stages of alcoholism. Others may not experience the movie in the same way as I did.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Pronouns
She/Her/Her
A LIVE MOVIE! In real life, in a cinema, first in at least 18 months. Went with a doubly vaccinated friend, across the street, who I often walk dogs with, and she's single as well. You have to book a seat, they add in physical distancing to their seat matrix, you need masks until you get to your seat, and all employees are masked. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy a large screeen.

Went to see fluff, but fun fluff, "Free Guy". Computer/gaming nerds (@JayneWonders?) might quite enjoy it, because the concept is that a MGC (minor game character) actually evolves into an AI with EQ essentially. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 82% or something. It was sorta fun, and a nice little romantic story, as well. And air conditioned. Not a bad way to spend a late Saturday afternoon.

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Pronouns
She/Her/Her
Watched THREE movies recently LOL - staying because of the heat!
The Duke with Helen Mirren & Jim Broadbent, we love both of them - characters are interesting; based in England; plot twisted a bit unexpectedly so that was great & left us guessing.
Jungle Cruise - mindless bit of Disney adventure fun for a Friday night when you don't want to think too much - or at all!
The Green Knight - whoa - beautifully shot images & complex plot; in the time of King Arthur with Dev Patel as a young man on a quest; based on an old English poem; witchcraft & spirits & lots of interesting stuff to ponder! Quite the opposite of Jungle Cruise! LOL

JayneWonders

Pronouns
She/Her/Her
I started to watch "Judas and the Black Messiah" and realized that it was not something that i could watch whilst I was doing other work.
I rented a few movies recently, and have been watching them whilst I sew.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Pronouns
She/Her/Her
I watched a documentary about Dolly Parton on Netflix last night. Very enjoyable. Cool lady. And I love her connections with another two fabulous women - Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlins.

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Pronouns
She/Her/Her
Watched to excellent films recently. "The Dig" - based on true events in England prior to the war. Ralph Fiennes plays a humble 'excavator' hired by a British woman to excavate 'mounds' on her property. The story evolves ... as stories do, with some love interests, a wonderful kid, illness, discovery, the approach of WW2. Highly recommended. Was made I think by Netflix so you can probably catch it there. 2021 release.

"LFG" - a recent documentary (made I think by CNN) on the US Women's Soccer Team - who've won multiple gold Olympic medals, world championships, countless other tournaments. They launch a lawsuit for equal pay & equal working conditions to the US Men's Team. Stunning really to see the machinations to avoid recognizing women professional athletes as in any way equal in 2021. Definitely watch it.

Have also been enjoying a series that was on TVO. Monty Don hosts (amazing garden guy - you may recognize his name from a myriad of other garden related shows. This one is "The Secret History of the British Garden". Each episode is one hour - and covers a specific centrury. It weaves together the social & current events history of the time with developments in gardening. I found it fascinating - and of course the views of the gardens are always fabulous.

Mendalla

Agnostic pan(en)theist gorilla
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Interesting series on Dust, a Youtube channel dedicated to s-f. The channel mostly runs short films but this is basically a 75 minute feature broken into seven parts. Good story and the acting and writing are surprisingly good given that this was likely done on a shoestring budget. Basic story involves a spaceship stuck in a time loop and two of those trapped on board dealing with their past as a couple. Really embraces the 70s-80s s-f aesthetic of movies like the first couple Alien movies and Bladerunner.

Here is the playlist for the full series:

Pavlos Maros

Watched to excellent films recently. "The Dig" - based on true events in England prior to the war. Ralph Fiennes plays a humble 'excavator' hired by a British woman to excavate 'mounds' on her property. The story evolves ... as stories do, with some love interests, a wonderful kid, illness, discovery, the approach of WW2. Highly recommended. Was made I think by Netflix so you can probably catch it there. 2021 release.
Carey Mulligan and Lily James also star. It is an excellent well acted piece of history, even if it has a little artistic license thrown in. And yes you can watch it on Netflix.

Mendalla

Agnostic pan(en)theist gorilla
Pronouns
He/Him/His
I have had my eye on it since it came out. Does the archaeology play much of a role or is it just a period romance with archaeology as a way to bring the characters together?

Waterfall

I needed something funny, so I started watching a sitcom called, "Mom", on Netflix.....turns out the "Moms" are mother and daughter. The elder Mom got pregnant when she was 16 and is now in her 50's and her daughter got pregnant when she was 16 and is now in her late 30"s with two children who are 16 and 9.
The Moms are recovering alcoholics, drug abusers, former stripper etc, who attend AA together and are trying to repair their relationship with each other and the grandchildren.
It took me three episodes to start to get into it, but the humour is smart, sassy and irreverent. It reminds me of watching s**tz Creek, where you actually start to get attached to the characters over time as they take you through quite the emotional journey.
Humour, sadness, disgust, struggles....its all there....but the bottom line is they're trying desperately over time to heal their dysfunctional extended family. (Grandma, Daughter and grandchildren)
Funny and sometimes sad as hell as time goes on.

Last edited:

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Pronouns
She/Her/Her
This afternoon, went to see Belfast. Absolutely wonderful movie, which my friend is keen to see again, and we'd both love the soundtrack. Mainly Van Morrison. The whole thing was lovely. Accents bothered friend a bit for the first few minutes, but very similar to a Scouse (Liverpool) accent, so I had no difficulty. Black and white. Just a really nice production that really took me to the time (Belfast in the heat of the troubles, in 1969).

Pavlos Maros

Just watched Finch and new film with Tom Hanks, it is a scifi all about a dog. You will understand once you watch it. Excellent film. Worth a watch.