Movies you have watched

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Steinbeck is possibly my favorite author ever, although there are a lot of contenders for that position...

What he does, as an author, that might be conveyed visually, is break your heart.

I've always loved 'Casablanca', just a well-done bit of escapism during a world war.

I've always loved 'Casablanca', just a well-done bit of escapism during a world war.
I have long regarded Casablanca as a "perfect movie". It's not a deep story or anything (in fact, the story is a bit slim and contrived) but otherwise it all just comes together; acting, writing, direction, cinematography, music. You can simply sit back and enjoy it. I am not sure if a movie like it could even get made at a studio today. Would probably end up as an indie at Sundance and get picked up by Netflix or something.

(Oh, and Ronald Reagan could have played Rick, by the way. What a change that would have been, though it kind of intrigues me. Ronnie was no Bogie but I can hear some of Rick's lines in his voice and it sort of works. Forget who was supposed to play Ilsa in that casting, but I don't think it was Bergman.)

great idea. added it to my list.

I am also watching BBC series through DVD from the library.
Borrowed Vera, season1, but made the newbie error of getting one dvd - series 1, episode 1, and didn't get the other 3.
Now have booked the other 3. They will last about two weeks, which is nice, and about how frequently i go back for books too.

For the last few months we have set a pattern of watching a movie as a family (or however many of us actually set and watch it) Saturday nights. Last night we watched Rent.

Last night we watched a fabulous documentary - "The Year Earth Changed" - nature's response to decreased human activity over the pandemic year - SO interesting. WAs on Apple TV+ and who know where else online.

If you enjoy old movies you might like:

The Philadelphia Story

The Best Years of Our Lives

How Green Was My Valley

The Awful Truth (Comedy)

I remember The Philadelphia Story. It was great.

Sadly, the only one available through our library was "The Awful Truth". I have added it to my list. Thanks!

I borrowed "Late Night" from the library.
I do like a number of the actors in the show, and it was a good movie to get lost in for a bit, some laughs, some commentary on our culture and well, just overall, good movie.

Emma Thompson is, as always in my opinion, stellar.

Have you ever watched the "I, Claudius" series, Jayne? It's usually available in libraries.

I have never seen all of Claudius, but it has a dream cast, though many weren't big names yet. Patrick Stewart was in it long before Star Trek and X-Men made him a huge star in Hollywood.

Back