Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

crazyheart

Rest In Peace: tomorrow,tomorrow
Reaction score
I have often wondered , in Canada, as well as other places ,only people that

have money or backers who have money, can run in elections. Saskatchewan is

in the process of having two leadership races and every few days the paper announces

who has raised the most money through fundraisers and donations. Why?

Joe Blow may make a good leader but is poor. Why should he not be allowed to state

his platform Explain this democracy to me. Again the rich or have the skills to

raise money or have friends who have money have the advantage in this society.

Your explanation??

Luce NDs

Reaction score
I have often wondered , in Canada, as well as other places ,only people that

have money or backers who have money, can run in elections. Saskatchewan is

in the process of having two leadership races and every few days the paper announces

who has raised the most money through fundraisers and donations. Why?

Joe Blow may make a good leader but is poor. Why should he not be allowed to state

his platform Explain this democracy to me. Again the rich or have the skills to

raise money or have friends who have money have the advantage in this society.

Your explanation??

This is not a poor game ....

KayTheCurler

Reaction score
I have often thought that each candidate/party should be limited to the same amount for their campaign. Bills and receipts to be submitted. The money should be accessed from taxes and NO private or corporate donations allowed. It is the only way I can think of that candidates are protected from rich people bribing them.

Luce NDs

Reaction score
I have often thought that each candidate/party should be limited to the same amount for their campaign. Bills and receipts to be submitted. The money should be accessed from taxes and NO private or corporate donations allowed. It is the only way I can think of that candidates are protected from rich people bribing them.

The rich and powerful won't have it ... interferes with avarice ... thus these thoughts are buried and kohl ... for the present wile ... it could slither around ... like Caduceus ! Pay attention to de myths ...

Reaction score
Just me, but I think that being good with money is a good skill for a leader. In Alberta, we rely on coal for 80% of our electricity. Liberals federally and NDP provincially have chosen to shut down our coal fired generators and flatten our energy industry. The last time we were hit this bad, we had a smarter Trudeau. Imaginary wind and solar farms are not in place or even feasible because wind and solar are not even close to a reliable substitute. So it is fun to have stupid people run your government for a little while, just to show that electing stupid people has consequences. We are going to get a hurt real bad in the short term, but eventually we will elect realists in big numbers again, but it will take a long time to pay off the stupidity.

But we will build new coal fired plants with low/no emissions next time. The technology is there and we have no shortage of unemployed engineers.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score

Chretien started down this road with the ban on corporate donations and tax funding for parties based on their share of seats. I think there's a cap on the size of individual donations in there, too, but I'm not sure of the amount. Harper partly rolled it back (kept the ban but rolled back the tax funding for parties).

I'm not against private donations from individuals, but I'd cap them ($1000 per year or something like that) to be sure. I would also set limits for political fundraising and spending as a whole, not just during elections as it is now. Right now, you can spend like hell in the lead up to the election call but that won't count against your campaign spending limit that kicks in when the writ drops, which makes the limits during the campaign a bit of a joke, esp. if it's a short campaign.

Naman

Reaction score
He who pays the piper calls the tune. Using solar panels to extract energy where ever the sun shines is becoming more and more competitive all the time and is encroaching on the profitability of using fossilized fuels.

Naman

Reaction score
And media are involved in informing the public. I am not sure what guides the media.

Luce NDs

Reaction score
And media are involved in informing the public. I am not sure what guides the media.

Advertising $$$$$$$$$ ... in piles ... pain in the but to us with po' thoughts ... lesser power than great emotions !

Thus the odd subtleties ...