Ministers and Politics

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Beloved

Reaction score
In Your Opinion . . .

to what extent should ministers be involved in politics?

As in (only some examples, add more of your own):

- supporting/acknowledging a particular candidate/party from the pulpit?
- being involved in the party/taking a position/doing work for?
- speaking out in local media about the party/candidate?
- etc.?

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
I would rather they not overtly support one party/candidate in their ministry role. A specific issue is ok with me.
Outside their ministry role, if they want to be a party member, volunteer, etc. no issues. I don't see a *should* there other than what they want to do.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
One of the American ministers we had at the fellowship was active in Democrats Abroad but I don't recall any of the ministers in my time getting involved in Canadian politics (being that they were all Americans, that isn't surprising) and I'm not sure that I would be happy about it if they did, even if it was a party that I supported myself. Certainly, our congregation has tended to lean a particular way politically with a number of members working on, or having worked on, campaigns for that party, but that does not mean that all of us support that party. Having the minister openly involved with a party tends to suggest that that is the "right" party for us, even if it is not being preached from the pulpit. Not saying that clergy can't have a political preference, but I'm thinking that they should show some discretion in how they express that preference and what activities they get involved in politically.

Jae

Reaction score
A religious leader should not support a particular political party from the pulpit - I agree. Issues are ok - and what position congregants should take on those issues - but not parties.

Beloved

Reaction score
Seems like most agree that being involved is okay . . . just not politicing from the pulpit.

mgagnonlv

Reaction score
Ditto.

I think there are issues, but beyond that, good ministers should help their parishioners become more astute thinkers. In that line, raising issues, asking questions, etc. is more than welcome, but saying that "Heaven is blue, hell is red" from the pulpit is not (and the opposite is not acceptable either). To the few people who say that I should take a more "partisan" view, I tend to reply that God cares for the well-being of Canadians – I hope –, but not necessarily in the way I would see it.

P.S. The quote "Heaven is blue, hell is red" comes from Mgr. Laflèche, Roman-Catholic Bishop of Trois-Rivières (1867–1898) who commented that way before the 1896 Federal election. Québecers listened to him... and voted Liberal for their first time ever.