Mayors and scandals

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mendalla

Happy headbanging ape!!
Pronouns
He/Him/His
So I imagine most have heard by now that John Tory, onetime Ontario PC leader and recently mayor of Toronto, has resigned over an affair with a member of his staff. Tory became mayor in 2014 after beating Doug Ford, now premier of Ontario, in that year's municipal election and has been re-elected twice (2018 and 2022).

Of course, we had our own mayor's office scandal here in London. Matt Brown, who also was elected in 2014, took a leave of absence after admitting to a fling with Deputy Mayor Maureen Cassidy. He did not resign, but also did not seek re-election in 2018. Cassidy did run and get re-elected but chose not to seek a third term last year.

So two mayors in sex scandals, but with somewhat different outcomes. Did Tory need to resign or could he have gone Matt Brown's route? The key difference that I see is that his affair was with a member of staff, which could open the door to harassment issues since Tory was her boss at some level. Whereas Brown and Cassidy were equals, colleagues on council rather than an employee-employer relationship (the deputy mayor is chosen by council, not by the mayor). So I suppose the fact that there could be employment standards ramifications in the Tory case could make his resignation more necessary?

Thoughts? Should an extramarital relationship, serious or fling, be cause for a politician to step aside? Or should they wait for an election and let the voters make the call (assuming the partner they cheated on approves that approach)? Does the person they are involved with (e.g. colleague vs. employee here) make a difference in that decision?

Last edited:
Even though I'm not under any impression that Tory is a perfect mayor, it seems unfortunate that he feels he needs to step down.
Sure, he could have conducted himself a lot better, but it's truly is his private life (unlike Premier Ford's "party guests" -- developers -- who he claims are personal friends).
He's likely in damage control mode. The press would never leave him alone.
His wife has my sympathies...maybe even the 31 year old young woman in question caught up in it all.
It's all so sad.
I do however think less of Tory, as I'm sure a few do.

I do however think less of Tory, as I'm sure a few do.
His gaff-prone run as (ironically) Tory leader kind of soured me on him anyhow. But I don't live in Toronto so not my choice.

In the case here, I might have voted for Matt had he run again and was glad Cassidy's ward did not seem to hold the affair against her. Fortunately, his replacement was a former federal MP and cabinet minister (Ed Holder) who proved to be a solid leader in the pandemic and I am not sure Matt would have been up for that.

Because it was a staff person, he does need to resign.
Thanks. I think I remember reading that now. That makes sense. I do hope it doesn't affect anyone's job prospects. It's a shame all round.

The news took me by surprise this morning. Sad to hear. I do understand his stated desire to approach the issue with integrity at this point & to hopefully free up his time to make reparations with his family. The city will be left in a fair bit of chaos I imagine - there are many new councillors - maybe half the council & some of the key senior staff have announced retirement in preceding months. Will be very interesting to see who runs in the by-election. Gil Penaloso was a strong candidate in the recent election & had a fair bit of support.

Politics is chaos and folk hate things of such complexity ... thus sophisticated know-how departs! Isn't that divination ...

Alice don't look ... be stunned ... then ide hots Yah ... as Yah-Yahs ... Aye? And we ponder ... "what do we know?" and there we are as if eure there ...

Because it was a staff person, he does need to resign.
This.

In addition it was a staff person who went on trips with him

So position of power plus the appearance of financial impropriety.

He could have stayed and been raked through the mud

He did the right thing

Apparently he's done at 5:00 p.m. on Friday. Seems to be the time he's stepping down.

There will always be ends to innocence given what little we know ... initialization to complex reproduction?

Humans make it really inhumane ...

Isn't that the modus operundi of most rich people, really?

I'm glad he's stepping down. I have an innate distaste for relationships with serious age/power imbalances; it actually soured my lifelong infatuation with Patrick Stewart. But the big guy pipes in, "why must women gossip?", which puts another slant on it. Who knew? Who cared? Why?

I am curious. Is there any evidence / news story that he was found out due to a woman or gossip?

I am quite sure that there was none, that it was a unenlightened male reaction, although we might wish to check The Sun.

I am quite sure that there was none, that it was a unenlightened male reaction, although we might wish to check The Sun.

The Sun will always burn through human lasting power ... thus we become desiccated ... and heated folk should be confined to darker spot ... just for fu elle ... all part of the exceptionally anonymous story of screw UPS ... in delivery few receive well ... spill Age ...

Back