Masks - Benefits and Risks

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I make it a point to not grocery shop on weekends. If I absolutely have to I go to a close by villages grocery store (less shoppers)

I wiped my groceries down for a bit - but read it wasn't really necessary, so eased off. Still, always washed my hands before eating - which you'd do whether wiping groceries first or not. So you're not putting contaminated fingers in or near mouth anyway. The main thing for me has been clean hands, I'm vigilant about it. And it's easy. Carrying hand sanitizer was already a habit - began in Vancouver over 10 yrs ago, recommended by a doctor to prevent colds that spread like wildfire at work - and now it's just a little more often to be safe. (And moisturizing at night now!)

Last edited:
Just calm down the lot of you - or I'll send you to bed without any dinner.......;)

Masks - some wear 'em, some don't.......
Physical spacing - some do, some don't....
Frequent hand washing and use of sanitizer - some do, some don't.

Who is the only person you can have some control over? Yourself - and even then not all of the time.

When this pandemic got underway I use to come back from my daily walk in an angry mood -why was it always me who had to be the one to move to keep physical distancing? Now I just automatically move over when someone approaches and I arrive home in a much better mood.
I'll admit, I'm annoyed by the bikers. They aren't even allowed to be on the sidewalks normally, yet they always seems to expect those of us on the sidewalk legally to move.

Last edited:
Oops, started to respond earlier and then got onto something else - forgot it was there. I think masks with healthcare providers is a good thing, even normally. Basically any time someone is up close beyond just normal talking distance, face to face - bloodwork would be one example. Early fall/winter lots of those in healthcare do have colds, sometimes a nurse or doctor will avoid doing something they would otherwise just to avoid spreading it to me (similar to how this year I didn't get checked out for blood clots with my hematologist appointment) this could cut down on some of that.

I don't want to start a new thread for this comment.

Marc Maron was complaining of allergies in LA today - put out a question to others in that city about whether they have them too.

Tweeters were saying something about the crematorium and "dead people smoke". So I looked it up. They had to suspend operations and now allowed to resume operations. Uh...because of volume. Sad, gross to breathe. The funny thing is, check out the name of the place (@Luce NDs) my morbid sense of humour kicked in.

Yeah. Masks are a good idea.

Last edited:
I don't want to start a new thread for this comment.

Marc Maron was complaining of allergies in LA today - put out a question to others in that city about whether they have them too.

Tweeters were saying something about the crematorium and "dead people smoke". So I looked it up. LA suspended clean air regs or something, for now, and is allowing a large crematorium to operate against the normal air quality rules. Uh...because of volume. Sad, gross to breathe. The funny thing is, check out the name of the place (@Luce NDs) my morbid sense of humour kicked in.

Drives me too ... after experiences with dealing with Lazarus and the dead ... I've never seen a crematorium making such discharges ...

Then there are the republicans that don't know: Am I Gone ... yet?

It's a latin name. I'm guessing. Think "abalone". But the word abalone...looked it up... came from the native Costanoan family in early California. The Spanish pronounced it abalun then it was changed to abalone in the 1850s. I don't know ??? But the e is pronounced "ay" for both Amigone and abalone.

Last edited:
There's something in the old script that mentions ignoring the vo wells ... as a drift towards consonantal languages ... like Hebrew and Cyrillic!

The guttural stop is also in there ... Imagine the unsinkable hard shells!

Back