Living in Canada as a foreigner

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I wish we could just use metric.
With work pressures really get annoying as kPa, Pa (ok, understandable using both of those), bar (why not just use kPa or MPa?) and psi are all common. The 2 models don't even use the same units. Luckily no mmHg.

I know houses by square feet simply because that was standard. Before checking out some showhomes I wouldn't have been able to estimate. I could have just as easily learned square meters, but that's not the information that was given.
If I had kids I think I would be teaching them their weight (technically it's mass) and height in kg and cm. I have a pretty good idea for the range right around me, but if someone is about 300 lbs I would have to think what that is in kg - I wouldn't be able to look at someone and be like oh yeah, they are around 125 kg.

Then there is the old celtic stone as a measure .. so much blarney ... the stone of scone is a heavy bread meant settle the soldier in at home ... one hard broadvision? X Pan Sieve ...

Nope on that last one - F is not something I know. If I'm stuck with a thermostat that's in F I'm googling the conversion. 100 F is hot and -40 F = -40 C but 21 C vs 25 C I constantly forget. I think that's true for a majority of my generation and younger.

I’m not sure that’s true. I don’t know F well, but I know generally that 80F is around 25C etc. I have absolutely no idea what my weight and height is in kg and cm but I do know feet and lb. I always look at oven temperature in F. I do find I tend to use feet and inches when measuring things.

I’m not sure that’s true. I don’t know F well, but I know generally that 80F is around 25C etc. I have absolutely no idea what my weight and height is in kg and cm but I do know feet and lb. I always look at oven temperature in F. I do find I tend to use feet and inches when measuring things.

Thus the Imperial Measure hangs on out there ... and me tis standing alone using both scales (measures) fluidly. Well most of the time ... in my generation sometimes I can't identify the one in the mire ... face down in the grits of life as attempting to be preservative ... conservatively stated?

Imperialists would hang me*tis for even mentioning old ways of respect for the little things ... quantum nature that baffled Einstein ... nerdish jughead for those apposed to larger perspectives on great observations! Out of here and now in space-time ... imagine tribal cross breds? Even the juden was against Hebrew script intrusions ... as Aramaic henscratch! Philology!

One should follow the evolution along with the understanding behind it on the matters of change ... energetic conversions?

Mass diet as Dei out ...

Last edited:
Temperature is celsius-except for the oven which is F. Cooking is generally imperial volume but can switch to metric if recipe needs it-though I don't do the european weighing everything.
My weight and height is imperial but driving distances are in Kms.

At work assessment kits are feet and inches I have learned for mu OT students to remind them that 1 foot= 30 cm.
I quilt in inches (1/4 inch seam, 6.5 inch block etc.) but buy my fabric in metres. Interesting fact for non-sewists- If buying a clothing pattern the english side is in yards and the french side is in metres.

OK everybody check out your toothpaste. It has been metric for years!

I use reminders -
Two and a quarter pounds of jam weigh about a kilogram
A litre of water's a pint and three quarters
A metre measures three foot three - it's longer than a yard you see

Talking about confusing measure systems, now I'm going through the land systems of Manitoba. Oh, boy.
Three different systems without any connection between them coexisting till today.

Are you meeting measurements like rods furlongs and acres? Maybe you should throw in a few nautical miles for good measure.

June 11 I'll do the Real Estate board exam;
Got my landing letter some days ago. From June 16 on, I'll be a Permanent Resident :cool: ; and
Scheduled a CanTEST for June 25, so with the results I'll be able to apply for the University of Manitoba to finish my BA, starting in the Winter term. I'll have just 12 courses to do, as I'll have my credits transfered, so it won't last more than one year.

Also had a meeting some days ago with my Synod (ELCIC) candidacy committee about Deacon candidacy. The meeting was very good, and everyone was helpful and nice. I just have to ponder about the educational component. They kinda pushed me to go through the Lutheran Seminary MTS, which is long and expensive. I might do a Wycliffe College's at-a-distance MTS and think about ordination after that.

I had my appointment in Halifax to show the original documents for my citizenship application. Didn’t bring that landing document and was told I need to keep that “ forever”, because it is the proof of when I came to Canada, even when I have my citizenship. It will be necessary proof for my pension application.
She didn’t give me hope that I will take the oath on Canada day. They are still processing applications from last fall. However, she said it will be this year!
For the Germans, the most important paper I needed to keep was the one confirming cancelation of my civic address. Never knew it will be that important, but thankfully, I am good at keeping paperwork, so I could provide it the couple of times I needed it.

I had my appointment in Halifax to show the original documents for my citizenship application. Didn’t bring that landing document and was told I need to keep that “ forever”, because it is the proof of when I came to Canada, even when I have my citizenship. It will be necessary proof for my pension application.
I didn't know that, I thought that one new document/status replaced the former. Good to know, thanks!

She didn’t give me hope that I will take the oath on Canada day. They are still processing applications from last fall. However, she said it will be this year!
That's crazy. When did you apply?
My application went way faster than they first told me; it was supposed to take 12 months and it took 6.

For the Germans, the most important paper I needed to keep was the one confirming cancelation of my civic address. Never knew it will be that important, but thankfully, I am good at keeping paperwork, so I could provide it the couple of times I needed it.
Is this important for tax reasons? Or are you waiving your German citizenship?
In Brazil, the only thing we need to do, for tax reasons, is declaring to the Federal Revenue we're leaving the country.

It will be necessary proof for my pension application.

More specifically, OAS (Old Age Security, the portion of your pension that comes from tax dollars rather than CPP) is based partly on how long you have been resident in Canada. Mrs. M has been researching this stuff and since she's an immigrant, it affects her. Even a Canadian who has resided outside the country for an extended period and then returns (e.g. someone who worked in the US for a long period but kept their Canadian citizenship) can be affected, IIRC.

@GiancarloZ , I applied in February and the website said one year, so if it happens this year, I am happy. Actually hope to get to participate in elections for the first time.
Indon’t remember when and what for I needed a copy of that German paper last. We have been through so much paperwork over the years.

@GiancarloZ , I applied in February and the website said one year, so if it happens this year, I am happy. Actually hope to get to participate in elections for the first time.
Indon’t remember when and what for I needed a copy of that German paper last. We have been through so much paperwork over the years.
I hope it moves quick enough that you can vote!

More specifically, OAS (Old Age Security, the portion of your pension that comes from tax dollars rather than CPP) is based partly on how long you have been resident in Canada. Mrs. M has been researching this stuff and since she's an immigrant, it affects her. Even a Canadian who has resided outside the country for an extended period and then returns (e.g. someone who worked in the US for a long period but kept their Canadian citizenship) can be affected, IIRC.
Mendella, a few more years and I am hoping to look into all this different pension stuff. I am lucky that a friends mom, who is also of German origin will reach retirement age four years before me- so I can ask her how that worked out with the pension agreement between Germany and Canada. In Germany I would have to work until 67, so I am not sure how that works with Canadian retirement age. Unless I win the lottery any time soon, I will have to keep on working for a while.

If I voted I'd go NDP. Really like their people, here in Manitoba at least.

If I voted I'd go NDP. Really like their people, here in Manitoba at least.
It depends on the candidate, too. This os the first time the Greens here have a candidate that can be taken serious. Haven’t heard anything from the NDP. The Conservative candidate was at my door the other day and I told her I can’t vote for her, yet,but once I can, I am sorry, she really would not be my choice.

This os the first time the Greens here have a candidate that can be taken serious.

Green is becoming more and more viable, I think. The leader of the Ontario Greens won his seat in the last provincial election which was a first for this province. I can't see my riding going that way yet, but it did go from a Liberal stronghold to the NDP provincially so who knows?

Back