Life After Death....

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

According to a Jewish reading of the text, this particular passage simply comments that as far anyone can know, death is simply an end. So, choose life. L'chaim!

Waterfall ---you said -----Not sure where you get that I believe what Solomon wrote???

I didn't say you did believe that Solomon wrote Ecclesiastes ------you said this ---your quote here ----Solomon in Ecclesiastes seemed to think along your lines too, -----

I personally don't care who God chose to write the Book ----I do believe the words written were definitely directed by God ----- and therefore are truth ---so why wouldn't I believe what God has written ----Does God lie ?

Waterfall ---you said -----Not sure where you get that I believe what Solomon wrote???

I didn't say you did believe that Solomon wrote Ecclesiastes ------you said this ---your quote here ----Solomon in Ecclesiastes seemed to think along your lines too, -----

I personally don't care who God chose to write the Book ----I do believe the words written were definitely directed by God ----- and therefore are truth ---so why wouldn't I believe what God has written ----Does God lie ?
I was speaking to ninjaferry......not about myself....but no worries. Lets move on.

If God wrote these words, though, doesn't that mean you should believe them? That is, that there is no certainty beyond death, so we should always choose life?

Only written by parts of God ... in one part of the narratives it was suggested they were 40 characters fatten on a different Diet!

BetteTheRed ---you said -----If God wrote these words, though, doesn't that mean you should believe them? That is, that there is no certainty beyond death, so we should always choose life?

I say -----there is nothing beyond for our physical body which stays in the grave-----we can't take anything with us ---we will be forgotten in time --all we accomplished will be ended -----and that is what this verse in Ecclesiastes 9 is saying ------and it is truth -----the body stays here ----this is a common destiny for all of us

-So if you read the context of the chapter ---you will see he speaks of the righteous in God and says ---so the righteous need not fret about dying just enjoy God's favour here while you can in the physical body --and be joyful and glorify Him while you can with your works ------cause all works stop when the body dies

In Ecclesiastes 12 ---Solomon talks about the body returning to dust and the Spirit leaves and returns to God -----

Death
6 Remember your Creator while you are young,
before the silver rope snaps and the golden bowl is crushed
like a jar broken at the well,
like a stone cover on a well that breaks and falls in.
7 Your body came from the earth.
And when you die, it will return to the earth.
But your spirit came from God,
and when you die, it will return to him.

My grandfather has been dead since 1968 ... I still have thoughts of him alive ...

And it's funny to me how there's often a real physicality to these thoughts. A spark of sulfur from a match reminds me of my mother (as does a whiff of Chanel no. 5);, some songs remind me of specific events in my life; a rose, a sturdy tree, a snake, remind me of dad; I cannot see a clip of the movie "The Land Before Time" without thinking of my kids watching it hundreds of times...

And it's funny to me how there's often a real physicality to these thoughts. A spark of sulfur from a match reminds me of my mother (as does a whiff of Chanel no. 5);, some songs remind me of specific events in my life; a rose, a sturdy tree, a snake, remind me of dad; I cannot see a clip of the movie "The Land Before Time" without thinking of my kids watching it hundreds of times...

Psycho-neurologists say there is no more stirring sense than smell ... one should get one to stimulate mental response!

Ain't that a stinker of a prompt?

It is, until one more or less loses one's sense of smell. I more or less have (steroids for a bad sinus infection a few years ago), and it has a terrible effect on your sense of taste.

Yes I noted that as of late considering present experiences ... te Red Beer substitute is OK but not great ... and coffee deprives me of rest!

Well, I'm glad the red beer sub was okay; I didn't say it was perfect.

Go drink some green tea. I have a friend who is a vegetarian type tea drinker, English. Everyone seems to think she will love green tea, and she HATES it. She gets free 420 salve in exchange for all of the green tea she gifts me with. I love green and oolong and happily accept all gifts/trades.

I've been going through a 4 pack of cider every week for the past four weeks. Shared some of it with housemates on sunny evenings in the backyard. I don't think it's problematic, yet. And a small bar of 50:50 chocolate - or a joint a week. Only one or two puffs at a time. Self medicating. Doctor knows. Muscle spasms otherwise keep me awake. The 420 cheers me up briefly, like rose coloured glasses (which I also own) - or at very least highlights the satire we're living in - then I get a good sleep. The medical stuff is probably too strong - but I could ask for a prescription.

Last edited:
Especially if one flat out expects some pain killing results from alcohol.

With the drugs I'm on ... who needs extra impediments! Then we have the dark web in the federal system ... and the leader can't see what it is ... too close to the source? Confounded powers ...

I've been going through a 4 pack of cider every week for the past four weeks. Shared some of it with housemates on sunny evenings in the backyard. I don't think it's problematic, yet. And a small bar of 50:50 chocolate - or a joint a week. Only one or two puffs at a time. Self medicating. Doctor knows. Muscle spasms otherwise keep me awake. The 420 cheers me up briefly, like rose coloured glasses (which I also own) - or at very least highlights the satire we're living in - then I get a good sleep. The medical stuff is probably too strong - but I could ask for a prescription.

I make some fairly consistent dosage cookies. My friends/family find that 1/2 a cookie is enough to ensure a good night's sleep.

When my sister and I were driving from her home to Cambridge to care for our critically ill mother, there was something that I thought was odd at one point in the drive. I can't remember the specifics now, but, i remember the incident happening. We had been on the road for a long time.

When we made it to the hospital about 2 hrs later,we were advised that she had died a few hours before. We didn't make it to be with her, but, I remember, when i heard what time that she died, that it was probably around the time of the sensation.

So, my logical brain wonders, was it a coincidence. How many other times have I thought of people at specific times, or had odd sensations and nothing happened.

Last edited:
Here's a spooky one, not mine.

My father-in-law had been in a nursing home for 3 years or so (Lewy Body dementia), and things were drawing to a close. He was completely confined to a large wheelchair, largely un-responsive, although he would still eat a little if his wife fed him, which she did, twice every day. She was his last important memory, and he'd pretty well even lost her. He used to say her name periodically, but even that had stopped in previous months. He got pneumonia, again, and this was looking like it might be his final battle, despite active treatment.

Mom-in-law called the kids, and my sister-in-law set out by train from Montreal, planning to stop in Pickering at her brother's, and the two would drive here together. When she got there, she was all set to spend the night (it was almost midnight at this point) and head up here in the morning. A feeling made her change her mind, and she and her brother set out immediately for Barrie.

In the meantime, Mom-in-law is at his bedside, and just before 1, she hears the death rattle, and he stops breathing. She doesn't panic and rush for the nurses. She's a farm kid, she's buried both her parents, several sibs and a first husband. Death is not the enemy to her, and she just wants to sit by his side for a bit. A full 15 minutes later, he suddenly draws another breath. Not 5 minutes later, his daughter and son walk in the room. He passes (again?) 1/2 hr later.

So, my logical brain wonders, was it a coincidence. How many other times have I thought of people at specific times, or had odd sensations and nothing happened.

I think this is quite key. When we have an experience of a sudden memory and something dramatic happens e feel it was a sign of some sort. But otherwise you just forget those little memory jogs

Back