Life After Death....

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I attended Atlantic School of Theology Extension (ASTE) seminars for some years. When I spoke of some philosophical-theo log matters, some of the minister there stated that I had suffered a spiritual experience and then proceeded to avoid me.

Seems to me much of the church wants nothing to do with essence that isn't physical. Imagine the effect of hormones, epinephrines and endorphins on stoic ministry!

I tend to be very sensitive to pharmaceuticals ... in chemistry context ... everything is an effect on steroidal reactions ... cis or trans! Don;t understand? It is a curiosity (agnost) worth testing and study!

I've been told to avoid it ... as the director was afraid of what I'd learn! Parsed it comes put as don;t go there ... when we are immersed in a stew of hormones ...

Perhaps there was no previous frame reference anyway. Perhaps it was something so extraordinary that had never happened before.

This is interesting. Often stories get embellished as time goes on. I wonder why this might have become more sterile.
Well that's sort of what I think, in their mind they may have thought they nailed it. and we'd just get it easily....but it does still hold mystery for me.

I had a neuropsychiatrist decide that I was sleep deprived which was not helped by my imagination and propensity for anxiety. If you look at what some people have had to deal with, why wouldn't they be anxious or depressed? But I got no diagnosis other than that. He and I had interesting talks about metaphysical possibilities. He didn't think I was crazy. He was surprised to learn of my experience in a baptist church because he was raising his own kids in a baptist church. He was agnostic about it. He wanted them to have a moral foundation and structure. Who knows? Maybe I helped him, too, as he helped me.
I want to say, at first I was very wary of him. It wasn't easy to even open up to him. Looking back, he helped me. I had brought to him the possibility of "Spiritual Crisis" which is in the DSM, a separate diagnosis. He wasn't going to go all the way there, but he did think I was possibly going through an existential crisis brought on by severe anxiety and sleep deprivation. I had just lost/quit/ been laid off, from a decent paying job I thought would be my career - had trouble sleeping - then the tsunami hit Japan and I was awake for days watching the 24/7 news cycle about it, which took on some bizarre significance. It was the beginning of the end of the world as I knew it - and I still kind of feel that way. But I feel it'll be okay. I wasn't feeling that way then. We are going through a rough patch - which ties us to every generation.

Last edited:
When I spoke of some philosophical-theo log matters, some of the minister there stated that I had suffered a spiritual experience and then proceeded to avoid me.

Which is bizarre since spiritual experience is probably one of the things that differentiates religion from philosophy. Churches should be encouraging people to talk about it and explore it.

I definitely have had a couple of experiences when I felt the presence of my mom with me. I've talked about it with some people - but I'm selective about what & with whom I share. Sounds like an interesting broadcast - I do enjoy Mary Hynes - I will give it a listen this week, so thanks for that.

My father had a stroke in the fall before I came to Canada. We came inJanuary the next year. My dad’s health was ip and down, he had several pneumonias. That one day in June, I was just driving home from some pleasant event, not knowing that my father had been in bad shape that day, when suddenly a thought of my father popped in my head, ( and I would not call it a presence”), him expressing that he loved me and he would be watching over me despite me being in a different country. When we arrived at home a few minutes later, the phone rang and my sibling was telling me my dad had passed away a few minutes ago. This was our first year in Canada and my parents had planned to come for a visit that summer, if it wasn’t for that stroke in the fall. So, I wasn’t surprised that he was thinking of me, the only one not present with him as he was dying.

I definitely have had a couple of experiences when I felt the presence of my mom with me. I've talked about it with some people - but I'm selective about what & with whom I share. Sounds like an interesting broadcast - I do enjoy Mary Hynes - I will give it a listen this week, so thanks for that.

They tend to be sacred stories that people prefer to share with those we know that will honour the experience because they know us and it feels safe retelling it.
I hope you get a chance to listen to the broadcast (I provided the llink). For me it was enlightening, so much so I wanted to share it.

Last edited:
My father had a stroke in the fall before I came to Canada. We came inJanuary the next year. My dad’s health was ip and down, he had several pneumonias. That one day in June, I was just driving home from some pleasant event, not knowing that my father had been in bad shape that day, when suddenly a thought of my father popped in my head, ( and I would not call it a presence”), him expressing that he loved me and he would be watching over me despite me being in a different country. When we arrived at home a few minutes later, the phone rang and my sibling was telling me my dad had passed away a few minutes ago. This was our first year in Canada and my parents had planned to come for a visit that summer, if it wasn’t for that stroke in the fall. So, I wasn’t surprised that he was thinking of me, the only one not present with him as he was dying.

That's quite a lovely story to look back on to offset your father's passing, thanks for sharing that.

That's quite a lovely story to look back on to offset your father's passing, thanks for sharing that.
Yes. I can’t say that it made me believe in a life after death, more so in a spirit of communication without internet, but I clearly knew it was from him, as it came out of the blue, not quite fitting into the situation/ feeling I was in ( I wasn’t worried about him at all at that moment) and also my dad was not the kind of person telling people he loves them, so those thoughts were kind of unusual.

Yes. I can’t say that it made me believe in a life after death, more so in a spirit of communication without internet, but I clearly knew it was from him, as it came out of the blue, not quite fitting into the situation/ feeling I was in ( I wasn’t worried about him at all at that moment) and also my dad was not the kind of person telling people he loves them, so those thoughts were kind of unusual.
Sometimes it's best not to overthink it and go with our gut.
When my Dad was very ill in the hospital, I sat for awhile in his room late at night and left to go home.....thinking I would see him in the morning. As I pulled up to the house I sat in the driveway just thinking and then put the radio on. A country song came on by Restless Heart called "I'll Still Be Loving You".
I was 31 and really didn't like country music and my father was a "classical" and operatic sort. As soon as it started, my husband came out of the house (he was watching the kids) and told me the hospital just called and Dad had just died. I can't explain it, but I just knew that song was playing for me......even today if I hear it. it still brings tears to my eyes. It's not a song from a Dad to daughter, but still, in my heart I felt it was.
I had another experience that took place about 25 years later that was absolutely profound.....and again I believe it was my Dad, but I haven't heard of anyone that has had a message from someone who had passed away so long ago.

I have to say, sometimes all of this doesn't mesh with the teachings of Christianity....does anyone have some thoughts on that?
Now my Dad, who was an Anglican priest was obsessed with ghost stories and so was his family of origin. He often told the story about when his Mother died in London, she came into his room and turned on the light and stood there for awhile.....we were living 100 miles away at the time.

I had a few experiences after my Dad died. Dad died suddenly of a massive heart attack at age 64. He was a well-loved, larger than life kind of guy. He was a farmer, and died while driving the tractor. I had a few signs of his presence immediately following his death. But a few months later, driving home from work after 9:00 one evening, I got an overwhelming sense that Dad was in the car. And it was accompanied by the earthy, barn smell that often surrounded Dad. I convinced myself that this was crazy thinking, but I mentioned it to my sister. The two of us had been Dad's helpers on the farm, spending much time with him. She told me that she had gone to bed at 9:00 that night but woke up at 9:10 because the whole room smelled like that earthy, barn smell we associated with Dad at work on the farm. And she felt like Dad was there. That means we had similar experiences at the same time, about 5 miles apart. To the best of our knowledge, there was no special communication that was being delivered.

I had a few experiences after my Dad died. Dad died suddenly of a massive heart attack at age 64. He was a well-loved, larger than life kind of guy. He was a farmer, and died while driving the tractor. I had a few signs of his presence immediately following his death. But a few months later, driving home from work after 9:00 one evening, I got an overwhelming sense that Dad was in the car. And it was accompanied by the earthy, barn smell that often surrounded Dad. I convinced myself that this was crazy thinking, but I mentioned it to my sister. The two of us had been Dad's helpers on the farm, spending much time with him. She told me that she had gone to bed at 9:00 that night but woke up at 9:10 because the whole room smelled like that earthy, barn smell we associated with Dad at work on the farm. And she felt like Dad was there. That means we had similar experiences at the same time, about 5 miles apart. To the best of our knowledge, there was no special communication that was being delivered.
Wow Nancy that's amazing that the two of you had the same sense your Dad was present!

I can think of nothing in my own experience that can't be approached with reason. Dreams in which people appear when I think of them. Sometimes some synchronicity. I think our "afterlife" is already happening and we're living it. My personal belief is that the ego/personality dissolves upon death and what's left is a powerful signature composed of memories involving all the senses. We fill the void with those.
I have no expectation of being reunited with loved ones. In the infinite ground of being, there is nothing but love. I'm a fan of Eckert Tolle.

Dreams, visions, hypnotic trances, hallucinatory experiences ... can these happen ... or even Deis dreamers?

Then there is the dream about the word "meni" that is said to be a derivative of "manna". That may be breadfruit for the sol fermentation ... causing some heat in the night. Many feel the darkness is ugly ... then there is the beauty of the night horse ... a dark unseen carrier ... carries us off when we slip into sleep into the san lands ...

Accept it as an abstract compared to the absolute desires that some folk will kill for without a thought! It is a MS Tye state ... like when wool is pulled over your eyes ... from all the counting and tabulations.

Some retain little after the dip ... into the timely wrinkle! There are professionals that believe this may be a drift into the impossible unconscious bias that cause portions of chits with great fears and insecurities ... thus they are aggressive against and dreams. They say don't go there ... contrary to great sages, spirits and spices!

Cook up a narrative ... but control the heat!

Last edited:
I can think of nothing in my own experience that can't be approached with reason. Dreams in which people appear when I think of them. Sometimes some synchronicity. I think our "afterlife" is already happening and we're living it. My personal belief is that the ego/personality dissolves upon death and what's left is a powerful signature composed of memories involving all the senses. We fill the void with those.
I have no expectation of being reunited with loved ones. In the infinite ground of being, there is nothing but love. I'm a fan of Eckert Tolle.
Solomon in Ecclesiastes seemed to think along your lines too, God had not revealed to him what happened after death and preferred to suggest we should focus on our life on earth because we just dont know what happens....He saw little difference in the death of animals or humans and some think perhaps he was watching the Egyptians prepare the tombs for the afterlife and taking possessions with them....all for no reason or use.
It looks like he would have been open to a spiritual life with proof....but dust to dust was more in line with what he knew for sure.
If love is all there is afterwards it would be lovely.

Solomon in Ecclesiastes seemed to think along your lines too, God had not revealed to him what happened after death and preferred to suggest we should focus on our life on earth because we just dont know what happens....He saw little difference in the death of animals or humans and some think perhaps he was watching the Egyptians prepare the tombs for the afterlife and taking possessions with them....all for no reason or use.
It looks like he would have been open to a spiritual life with proof....but dust to dust was more in line with what he knew for sure.
If love is all there is afterwards it would be lovely.

Then the impact of Chi Ba ... syllables of forgotten or denied understanding of the altar spirit ... intellect? Expect it under a fabric of strange hues ... unseen colours? As Black Beauty ... IT may be abstract conception ... alien seminal manna? This may be anti semitic! People generally despise strang icons ... deuce 's idliNG wild?

Interesting read on your statement here waterfall -----Solomon in Ecclesiastes seemed to think along your lines too,God had not revealed to him what happened after death

What is the meaning of Ecclesiastes 9:5-6?

Bible Answer:

Solomon is not focused on the spirit; instead he is speaking of the physical body. Eventually, those living on planet earth will forget about us. Just allow enough time to elapse and we will be forgotten. When we die we will not longer experience the rewards, or work, hobbies, or whatever gives one some sense of purpose. After we die we will not experience love, hate or a driving passion for anything. We will not remember anything or share in the things that we once enjoyed.

Conclusion:
The message of Ecclesiastes is that life is empty. We are born into the world and die. The message of these two verses is that we gain nothing in this life. The old statement that we cannot take it with us, misses the point that is even worse than that. Not only can we not take it with us, but we will be soon forgotten after we die. There is no life in the grave. Our dead bodies will not experience anything. Even the grave is disappointing. Solomon is not speaking of our spirit. He speaks of our spirits later in Ecclesiastes 12:7. His focus here is on the mortal body. Therefore, life is not just over; it is empty and so is the grave! Not only is life disappointing but the grave is too! There is no enjoyment in the grave for our dead physical bodies for which we so diligently cared.

Interesting read on your statement here waterfall -----Solomon in Ecclesiastes seemed to think along your lines too,God had not revealed to him what happened after death

Not sure where you get that I believe what Solomon wrote??? I was speaking about a book he supposedly wrote, that does not always mean I believe what it says......do you since you think the Bible is infallable?

Solomon did not have the NT. did he?

Back