Life After Death....

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Waterfall

Reaction score
Last Sunday I was listening to Tapestry hosted by Mary Hynes about life after death. Her guest speaker was Patricia Pearson who has been studying this for awhile. She spoke about people who had "felt" a relative or who were "visited" by someone that they knew and one that actually received a phone call from her friend who was in a coma and later died, never waking up.
The thing that really struck me, and the host, was that many people in the world have had these experiences....50% and in one place (think it was Norway or Finland) it was 75%, and as was mentioned that is a VERY high number for not many people to be talking about it more freely. It is thought that it's because we have lost touch with our spiritual side by intellectualizing everything and discarding things that can not be proven scientifically. What happens is we are then "pooh poohed" by our friends and the experience is written off as nonsense and not taken seriously.....but many people continue to hold these experiences dear to them afterwards.
I am including the broadcast in the post below if you care to listen.....the show begins at the 1:08 mark(after advertising other shows) and lasts about 55 minutes, it's quite interesting.

But my questions are......
Have you had this experience of feeling someone from "beyond" this world?
Did you tell anyone and were you taken seriously?
How does this line up with your faith or lack of one?

Reaction score
Yes. I've had uncanny things happen that can't be explained.

I believe the transition can be seamless so we don't know we died. I have wondered if I already died and this is purgatory. Of course that sounds crazy, but no more crazy than any other unprovable theory.

Also, if multiverse theory is possible - there are billions of other selves just like us but living in billions of different universal combinations of different collective choices, but we're only conscious of being in one universe at a time - then people's other selves, or messages from them could be finding their way to us through the ether now and then.

Last edited:

Waterfall

Reaction score
Yes. I've had uncanny things happen that can't be explained.

I believe the transition can be seamless so we don't know we died. I have wondered if I already died and this is purgatory. Of course that sounds crazy, but no more crazy than any other unprovable theory.

Also, if multiverse theory is possible - there are billions of other selves just like us but living in billions of different universal combinations of different collective choices - then people's other selves could be finding their way to us through the ether now and then.
That's interesting....have you ever been "in touch" with someone beyond?

Luce NDs

Reaction score
You cannot speak of these thing with those too grounded ...

As in the words of the sage:" There are stranger things under the midnight sun ..."

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
There's definitely some intriguing stories out there but it remains anecdotal. You can't really do a replicable experiment on this one so I think it will always remain a matter of personal faith and experience rather than something "proven". It also does not seem to bear out the views of any specific religion, just a general idea of life extending beyond the moment of physical death. Some of the NDEs that a certain member used to rave about are suspiciously supportive of the beliefs of the person experiencing it so I suspect those may be neurological in nature rather than related to a "real" afterlife. Not saying they are lying, only that their existing faith affected their experience of the NDE.

So, call me agnostic on this (as usual). I'm not going to write it off, but I have no basis for believing it myself and it will probably take some kind of personal experience to change that since I don't think science is ever going to answer this one entirely (though it might find a neurological basis for ruling out some or all NDEs as part of the phenomenon).

Luce NDs

Reaction score
There's definitely some intriguing stories out there but it remains anecdotal. You can't really do a replicable experiment on this one so I think it will always remain a matter of personal faith and experience rather than something "proven". It also does not seem to bear out the views of any specific religion, just a general idea of life extending beyond the moment of physical death. Some of the NDEs that a certain member used to rave about are suspiciously supportive of the beliefs of the person experiencing it so I suspect those may be neurological in nature rather than related to a "real" afterlife. Not saying they are lying, only that their existing faith affected their experience of the NDE.

So, call me agnostic on this (as usual). I'm not going to write it off, but I have no basis for believing it myself and it will probably take some kind of personal experience to change that since I don't think science is ever going to answer this one entirely (though it might find a neurological basis for ruling out some or all NDEs as part of the phenomenon).

Imagine what you'd call an essence (ghostly item) dwelling in the poorly understood neural system ... confined by unseen Nous Cis ... ready to transmute!

I am fascinated by strange things like neural messaging ... but remain curious and agnostic (that is I'll study them) until crossing that thin line ...

Sit with a few people in their dying hours ... and be very intent 've on all that goes on in the proximity ... if nothing it will raise one hell of agnosticism!

Then stoics say to question nothing of that sort ... nothing is a key word in essence! Back pixels on a pageboy ... sometimes known as a ostler, or even yeoman! Yoo man slow down and abstract ... its a thought!

Waterfall

Reaction score

She does speak about those who discount someones experience on a neurological basis, ... and why she thinks that is....give it a listen if you have time. Even the woman studying it for 15 years has her doubts but she can't seem to deny people are having them....including her sister. When her sister was diagnosed with cancer she told everyone she felt her father reach and hold her......apparently when this happened the father had just died.

Last edited:

Waterfall

Reaction score
I don't know with certainty. I'd rather keep it to myself.
That's okay, but if you do want to open up sometime, hopefully we won't put your experience down. It seems to be part of the problem and why we're not trying to understand these things....we don't talk about it and then it's harder for others to relate....they see it as a fluke or try to give it a "technical" explanation. It's probably why I was so shocked to learn so many people have them.....surely there must be some sort of validity even just from the numbers?

:love:

Reaction score
Even lucid dreams and hallucinations can seem very real to the person experiencing them. I wouldn't recommend staying awake for 5 days to find out for yourself though - it has a very similar effect as an LSD trip. You know that something's going on (vs being in a full psychosis where a person doesn't know what they're experiencing doesn't make sense in their reality. You still have one foot in your normal reality). That happened to me (and I was so stupid I didn't even know lack of sleep could do that so it seemed to come out of nowhere) and it was unsettling - took awhile to get over it - I did get medical attention - and my memory of it is as real as any other memory. I knew it didn't make sense, so I wasn't "crazy". Basically, our brains need to dream so if we don't sleep they will dream for us while we're conscious. It's literally surreal reality. Or, reality plus. But it definitely shifted my perspective on what reality can be. That was reality, but from an altered state of consciousness - the subconscious becoming conscious. It's amazing and sometimes scary what's buried in there that can pop up. And we don't know enough about consciousness - and the non material mind, not just the material brain.

Last edited:

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Anaerobic conditions of the cells seem to upset reality ... then there is a great disagreement in the medical factions about the effect of reducing sugars on damaged cells ... and the antioxidant theories ... another agenda (conspiracy).

Some cry ... I can't breath ... and then God is sometimes described as a wind or Aerie Ether! Imagine the value of hypnotics and probes into hallucinogens!

Then there are those mountain dwellers ... tis thin 'ere too ...like the myth of the Bucket List ... an icon of what may be hidden in ballads etc.? It was about experiences of dying folks ... black and white buddies ... from there Aries Karies ...

Luce NDs

Reaction score
That's okay, but if you do want to open up sometime, hopefully we won't put your experience down. It seems to be part of the problem and why we're not trying to understand these things....we don't talk about it and then it's harder for others to relate....they see it as a fluke or try to give it a "technical" explanation. It's probably why I was so shocked to learn so many people have them.....surely there must be some sort of validity even just from the numbers?

:love:
Don't count on no put down ... stoics hate alien intelligence as it goes against the premise that they already know all ... an understatement?

Waterfall

Reaction score
Even lucid dreams and hallucinations can seem very real to the person experiencing them. I wouldn't recommend staying awake for 5 days to find out for yourself though. That happened to me and it was unsettling - took awhile to get over it, and my memory of it is as real as any other memory. I knew it didn't make sense, so I wasn't "crazy". But it definitely shifted my perspective on what reality can be. That was reality, but from an altered state of consciousness - the subconscious becoming conscious. And we don't know enough about consciousness - and the non material mind, not just the material brain.
Now that was an experience that you had while you were alive, albeit as you say, altered....I'm somewhat interested in those who've had encounters with those who have died or know someone that has and how they handled that information.

Reaction score
I've since wondered whether some of the sages and prophets experienced similar - even Jesus himself - and if some of the accounts written were lucid dreams caused by sleep deprivation and dehydration. Of course I can't prove it, but I think that's what happened to John Calvin.

Add: it probably happened to numerous others, too, who processed what they learned, differently from Calvin.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Now that was an experience that you had while you were alive, albeit as you say, altered....I'm somewhat interested in those who've had encounters with those who have died or know someone that has and how they handled that information.
While I was alive, yes. But what I experienced was like an overlap of two worlds. It was informative.

Maybe they had a hallucination. That's not to say there wasn't any 'real' or valid information brought from their subconscious to their consciousness by that hallucination.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes....youre right sorry. Were you alone while in the altered state?
Sort of. In the room by myself. Sometimes while others were around. Things got weirder between day 4 and 5, or 5 and 6. I don't even know how many days it was I lost sleep for for sure, but it was at least 5. It was then I had to go to the hospital to get medication to sleep. My friend took me.

Last edited: