Let's talk policy instead of personalities

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Reaction score
So in Alberta, about 300 people a year die in car accidents.
So far we have lost about 245 people to Covid.
The traffic death pandemic must be stopped. No more trucks to grocery stores. If we stop eating, soon nobody will feel like driving. The roads will be totally safe in about 3 weeks.

Traffic death pandemic defeated! In only 3 weeks! I AM a stable genius!
PG13 for PM!

Waterfall

Reaction score
Unless any of you can guarantee what it means for young people to carry the virus around and not come down with dibilitating symptoms later then stop saying this virus is okay to catch for young people.
We know young people dont gain a long term immunity from carrying it. Do we know if they can catch it again? Hong Kong and China say yes.
Do we know if the next round of Covid will be more deadly for young people? Do we even know if there will be a second wave?
We certainly know that opening up for business and schools are causing Covid to be spread again.
Can Covid adapt to infecting and causing more serios problems in perfectly healthy bodies? Do we know?
I would say we know very little about Covid but we know more than we did 5 months ago. To have the common people who only have medical knowledge from google and hearsay without participating in studies, and consider themselves experts in the field is mind boggling to me.
Even when mistakes are being made on the road to discovering more about Covid, I appreciate the medical and scientific community fessing up and moving forward.

Waterfall

Reaction score
I’m just pointing out that the cure should be in line with the threat. It should not be more deadly.
I wonder what would happen if we all took your attitude and viewed those who died during COVID as just collateral damage because you believe the numbers don't warrant immediate and effective attention as much as car accidents do?
To date there have been 971, 232 COVID deaths in the world........are they just collateral damage that we just need to let happen and not protect because you don't fall under the high risk group?
The cure for COVID is going to require alot more research, time and knowledge in order to not make the "cure" (or inconvenience for most), seem more deadly.....

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
The cure for COVID is going to require alot more research, time and knowledge in order to not make the "cure" (or inconvenience for most), seem more deadly.
Agreed.

My career as support staff in post-secondary education included a few years as Secretary to the Associate Dean of Research in the Faculty of Medicine at U of T. Anyone who knows anything about basic research projects - applications, funding, ethics reviews, etc., knows that research can't be conducted in a hurry, nor without appropriate protocols in place.

Ritafee

Being Human
Reaction score
I would say we know very little about Covid
Before the SARS-CoV-2 outbreak, coronaviruses were thought to cause only mild respiratory infections in people.

The new (or “novel”) coronavirus is one of several known to infect humans.

COVID-19 is the name given by the World Health Organization (WHO) on February 11, 2020.

COVID-19 is an acronym that stands for coronavirus disease of 2019.

It’s probably been around for some time in animals.

Sometimes, a virus in animals crosses over into people.

That’s what scientists think happened here.

So this virus isn’t new to the world, but it is new to humans.

When scientists found out that it was making people sick in 2019, they named it as a novel coronavirus.

SARS-CoV-2 because the virus is a genetic cousin of the coronavirus cause of the SARS outbreak in 2002 (SARS-CoV).

The SARS pandemic was short-lived.

Only eight months separated the first reported case (November 2002) to the end of the crisis in July 2003.

In contrast, COVID-19 may be around for years.

The UN expert concludes that:

“The severe and often irreparable psychological and physical consequences of solitary confinement and social exclusion are well documented and can range from progressively severe forms of anxiety, stress, and depression to cognitive impairment and suicidal tendencies. This deliberate infliction of severe mental pain or suffering may well amount to psychological torture."

Ritafee

Being Human
Reaction score
That's awfully big of you to play "russian roulette" with the lives of your parents and grandparents seeing as it may or may not affect you.
It is awfully small of you to keep repeating such nonsense as this.

Elderly people are clearly one of the most vulnerable populations to coronavirus.

Every year, elderly people develop pneumonia from and succumb to infections like flu and all manner of other respiratory infections that for younger people would be unpleasant, but not particularly worrisome.

In broad terms, coronavirus's deadly effects on older people fit what we know about aging and infections: Older people have weaker bodies in general, including their immune systems.

Last edited:

Waterfall

Reaction score
It is awfully small of you to keep repeating such nonsense as this.

Elderly people are clearly one of the most vulnerable populations to coronavirus.

Every year, elderly people develop pneumonia from and succumb to infections like flu and all manner of other respiratory infections that for younger people would be unpleasant, but not particularly worrisome.

In broad terms, coronavirus's deadly effects on older people fit what we know about aging and infections: Older people have weaker bodies in general, including their immune systems.
My point was, we should be protecting the elderly by doing everything we can not to spread COVID 19 to the elderly or compromised, and that may include social distancing and masks where it occurs in large numbers......instead of arguing against wearing masks when required or social distancing.....unless one isn't concerned about the possibility of bringing COVID home to elderly relatives or out in public. That is playing russian roulette, when you just HOPE you won't be passing it on, but fail to take precautions around the elderly that might help.

Ritafee

Being Human
Reaction score
That is playing russian roulette, when you just HOPE you won't be passing it on, but fail to take precautions around the elderly that might help.
Are you saying we did not do that before this novel corona?

Ritafee

Being Human
Reaction score
The cure for COVID is going to require alot more research, time and knowledge in order to not make the "cure" (or inconvenience for most), seem more deadly.....
The coronavirus and most other viruses have no cure ... There is no cure for the common cold.

Here are some key points about colds.

• Common cold symptoms include dry or sore throat, blocked or runny nose, and sneezing.
  • Around a quarter of people do not experience symptoms when infected with a cold.
  • Up to half of common colds are caused by a group of viruses referred to as rhinoviruses.
  • The common cold can be caused by more than 200 different viruses.
  • People with lung conditions such as asthma and COPD are more vulnerable to colds than other people.
Complications of the common cold include acute bronchitis and pneumonia.

Flu symptoms can be slightly more serious than those associated with the common cold, with some people experiencing a loss of appetite, diarrhoea or tummy pain, feeling sick and being sick.

Influenza is caused by a number of different influenza viruses.

Influenza is very infectious and easily spreads to other people likely within 5 days of infection.

In the most serious cases, flu can also cause pneumonia.

For many many years, scientists have been studying flu and the common cold ... NO Cure.

Covid-19 causes coughing, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing and fever.

Severe infection can also cause pneumonia, kidney failure and in the most serious cases, death.

But for this novel coronavirus ... we will hold out for the cure?

The human immune system is on its own.

These efforts to prey on our fears do raise an interesting question, though.

Since our immune system is all we have between us and the ICU as this virus spreads ...

Where is the policy around the ways we can make our immune system work better?

Last edited:

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Daed*Lie ... a near Miss in horseshoes where the shoe missed the iron post! Unshaw'd ... for all we know with multiple flaws ...

Can ancient cede cause stinking plants of thought less than more often? Thus loe thinking senses ... profound?

It may not be how it appears or other ... wise incarnate duck-NG excess emotions ... theory of all encompassing intersectional "-ites"!

That word "-ites" as a suffix for alloying ... thus dis allowed, or thought denied? In one write up there are 14 factors ... thus chaotic life ...

Some that charge with Geronimo on mind ... know that it is a buried item ... an imprint in the sans of time ...

Waterfall

Reaction score
The coronavirus and most other viruses have no cure ... There is no cure for the common cold.

Here are some key points about colds.

• Common cold symptoms include dry or sore throat, blocked or runny nose, and sneezing.
  • Around a quarter of people do not experience symptoms when infected with a cold.
  • Up to half of common colds are caused by a group of viruses referred to as rhinoviruses.
  • The common cold can be caused by more than 200 different viruses.
  • People with lung conditions such as asthma and COPD are more vulnerable to colds than other people.
Complications of the common cold include acute bronchitis and pneumonia.

Flu symptoms can be slightly more serious than those associated with the common cold, with some people experiencing a loss of appetite, diarrhoea or tummy pain, feeling sick and being sick.

Influenza is caused by a number of different influenza viruses.

Influenza is very infectious and easily spreads to other people likely within 5 days of infection.

In the most serious cases, flu can also cause pneumonia.

For many many years, scientists have been studying flu and the common cold ... NO Cure.

Covid-19 causes coughing, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing and fever.

Severe infection can also cause pneumonia, kidney failure and in the most serious cases, death.

But for this novel coronavirus ... we will hold out for the cure?

The human immune system is on its own.

These efforts to prey on our fears do raise an interesting question, though.

Since our immune system is all we have between us and the ICU as this virus spreads ...

Where is the policy around the ways we can make our immune system work better?
Yes Rita, "cure" was the wrong word......:rolleyes:

unsafe

Reaction score
Waterfall ---you said -----That is playing russian roulette,

I say ----the fear that the Media and others are instilling on people about this Virus is also playing your Russian roulette --in my view ----- Fear is an extremely intoxicating emotion and can cause people to panic ----and can and has caused chaos about this Pandemic ------

And ----We have no idea how this virus came to be in this world ---there are many speculations and many conspiracy theories going around ------so no one knows who to believe ------are we being fed truth or lies ------that is the real question ------

The Policy of dispelling fear should be in place ------not creating it -----

The Policy of wearing masks should be communicated in such a way that it doesn't make people feel that their rights are being violated ------and that is not what is happening ---and people are bucking the order ----because they feel their freedom to choose is being taken away ------

The governments are going about their state of emergency in the wrong way in my view ----We say we live in a free country --
-But it is getting more and more like communism -----which says this in the definition --
a system of social organization in which all economic and social activity is controlled by a totalitarian state dominated by a single and self-perpetuating political party.

Many believe the governments are trying to force control over them ------so are they ? it has happened before and is in place today in some places like North Korea for one ----

The General population today are weary of Governments and their purpose for doing certain things -----and the internet is creating confusion as one can google anything today and get pros and cons-for every situation -----on one knows what to believe -----

Is it senseable to wear a mask --yes ----is it senseable to wash your hands ---yes ----is it sensable to sanitise items that we touch often ---yes -----and the people who are refusing to do these senseable things are not doing it to hurt their families or others -in my opinion --but are doing it out of anger and frustration of being forced by the establishment which for them is more important to fight than the pandemic -----

You have have things like this circulating on the net -Agenda 21 -posted on Page 1 Post 12 by Pontifex Geronimo 13 ---giving you what the Governments are signing and up to ---Just listen to it ----and there is Agenda 2030 ----people are listening to these ------and who is to say that these are not telling truth -----

This State of Emergency has given the Government power --control over people and their families and their lively hood and has not been lifted yet ---- Peoples loved ones are dying and they are being kept from them ------anger --frustration and confusion are raging -----

Just posting this to show that some believe that covid19 was planned -----truth or lie ?????
The real truth is ---WE DON"T KNOW-----we choose what we want to believe -----

A look at the Americans who believe there is some truth to the conspiracy theory that COVID-19 was planned

Lastpointe

Reaction score
Billionaire critic of COVID-19 restrictions says Ottawa let her skip 14-day quarantine
Liz Uihlein, two other U.S. execs granted special exemptions for 36-hour business trip to Ontario

I saw this in the news last night. So there are a few specific reasons for skipping quarantine rules. This CEO doesn’t seem to qualify. Note that our very “woke” progressive Trudeau government declined to say who approved this and why

Northwind

Still knitting. Walking the path to health.
Reaction score
I saw this in the news last night. So there are a few specific reasons for skipping quarantine rules. This CEO doesn’t seem to qualify. Note that our very “woke” progressive Trudeau government declined to say who approved this and why
This is a concern. There is an exception for business related visits. I find it hard to believe this fits fully into that category. And IF it does, they need to be wearing masks and not holding meetings in confined spaces.

Northwind

Still knitting. Walking the path to health.
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of people commenting on the fear mongering that's being done. I haven't felt pressured to feel fear in any way. Well, it was a little scary at the beginning. Now that more is known, I don't feel afraid.

The Policy of wearing masks should be communicated in such a way that it doesn't make people feel that their rights are being violated ----

How does this message get conveyed in a way that people can accept? I know the message is different in different regions/provinces. BC has taken an approach that until recently, encouraged and educated rather than mandated or gave consequences for non-compliance. I have appreciated that, though now there are some who say Dr Henry has been too soft.

unsafe

Reaction score
This is how many people are feeling with this State Of Emergency in place -----just because some of us don't view it as slavery ----doesn't mean many do view it that way --and are up in arms about it -----The Pandemic is secondary to them ----fighting for their freedom to choose takes first place ----- then of course comes the scrutiny from others to squash what they don't like being said ----read the article yourselves ----

WASHINGTON — U.S. Attorney General William Barr drew sharp condemnation Thursday for comparing lockdown orders during the coronavirus pandemic to slavery.

I say ---
It all depends on how we Personally view lockdown ---in my opinion

I say --there are no policies that could be put in place that would satisfy all people as we all think different and deal with things differently ----so there is no pleasing all people -----and hence you will have some chaos ----