It's All Good

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

If shoes were clues, you'd be barefoot.
All hell to pave and no hot pitch.

:unsure:
So if someone said something like, Sorry for bothering you, you couldn't say not a problem? That's weird.
You could say, "That's alright. It was no trouble." "Not a problem." was seen as lazy unprofessional slang. And I think it was more in reference to a reply to "Thank you." We were told not to say it though. Someone from the public complained we were saying it on the phone. But as I said, it's "not a problem" for me anymore.

(There are people in this city who expect the Queen's English - it's always been that way.)

You could say, "That's alright. It was no trouble." "Not a problem." was seen as lazy unprofessional slang. And I think it was more in reference to a reply to "Thank you." We were told not to say it though. Someone from the public complained we were saying it on the phone. But as I said, it's "not a problem" for me anymore.

(There are people in this city who expect the Queen's English - it's always been that way.)
I agree that you're welcome is a more appropriate response to thank you, (although I do it sometimes) but in general it's just normal conversation.

I agree that you're welcome is a more appropriate response to thank you, (although I do it sometimes) but in general it's just normal conversation.
It wasn't always. Only in the past 10-15 years. That's why some people object and think it's lazy.

I had a mother who chastised me for common slang - even mild stuff I picked up at school or even at my dads place because my step mom had a different dialect at times - she did it all the time. She said it sounded uneducated/ low class (she actually did). I was also sent to elocution lessons. I bet this is the only city in Canada where parents send their kids to elocution lessons.

It wasn't always. Only in the past 10-15 years. That's why some people object and think it's lazy.

I had a mother who chastised me for common slang - even mild stuff - all the time. She said it sounded uneducated. I was also sent to elocution lessons. I bet this is the only city in Canada where parents send their kids to elocution lessons.
I was corrected for what I said, but that was about incorrect grammar rather than slang, ie. Mary and I vs. Mary and me and then there was some slang that wasn't accepted - typical parenting stuff though.

I was corrected for what I said, but that was about incorrect grammar rather than slang, ie. Mary and I vs. Mary and me and then there was some slang that wasn't accepted - typical parenting stuff though.
I don't know if it's typical. Only in white colonial rooted families.

She's more lax now. I think a few of her friends told her to chill out.

My mother was absolutely rigid about pronunciation, and she had some very definite bugbears.

Her least favourite was "I'm sorry", pronounced "sore-y" instead of with a soft "o", almost more like sarry.

In my lifetime I've come to realize that the group in society who expects that is more limited than the groups who don't. You have to be adaptable to different dialect in different situations. If I spoke like the Queen (but without a British accent) where I lived in Vancouver - a diverse place, it would turn people off. They'd think I was uptight. And they'd be right. If I was actually speaking to the Queen, I'd try my best. At work, I'd be professional, as much as required. But I don't have one singular everyday way of speaking. I'm adaptable. I can develop rapport with those I'm talking to.

For example re: adaptable everyday language - if I run into an acquaintance who I know is on and off the street (I see him around town - he pops up all over the place - and he's now getting on my nerves a bit because I've bought him coffee, lunch at McD's, given him change, now he expects something everytime. He was quite disappointed that I turned down his request the other day. I'm running out of change! I'd just bought stuff for decorating pumpkins! - which, I know is a luxury but I treated myself.) I might say "How's it goin' man?". I would not say that if I ran into one of my parents' friends.

For example re: adaptable everyday language - if I run into an acquaintance who I know is on and off the street (I see him around town and he's now getting on my nerves a bit because I've bought him coffee, lunch at McD's, given him change, now he expects something everytime) I might say "How's it goin' man?". I would not say that if I ran into one of my parents' friends.

Agreed. I think most of us tailor our language to some degree on expectations.

I don't say "f***" a lot at church or when I'm at work. The rest of the time, it's a fairly chronic go-to curse.

Funny thing is...my ex would say "How's it go in' man?" to everyone (male). He was natural with it and even my parents peers would find it charming. I couldn't get away with that!

Funny thing is...my ex would say "How's it go in' man?" to everyone (male). He was natural with it and even my parents peers would find it charming. I couldn't get away with that!
I use it a lot but without the "man". And definitely casually. Wouldn't say it, for example, to the CEO but might to my own team.

Had a Polish derived boss that would say: "How's higoes" when wishing to know what was happening in the lab! (heavily accented)

It can degrade into an higoe (high flight) and he has since taken flight from our physical existence ... like when higoe craps ... paydeis for the boyds?

Back