Is the universe "made for life"?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mendalla

Agnostic pan(en)theist gorilla
Physicist Lawrence Krauss argues it is not in the piece below. He is arguing against the argument made by certain theists that the universe is unnaturally biased to allowing life and therefore some higher power must be controlling the variables.

As Krauss rightly points out, our continued existence is largely a matter of luck given how many ways there are, including self-inflicted ones, for our species to go extinct. One just need look at the trilobites or non-avian dinosaurs, who both declined after millenia as the dominant clade and were both finally annihilated in catastrophic natural events.

As he says, evolution tells us that life adapts to its environment, not the other way around, and a sudden change in that environment generally means species going extinct and new species replacing them. If a deity had designed a universe that is friendly to life, evolution might, in fact, be unnecessary.

Bias alert: Krauss is an outspoken advocate for a scientific materialist viewpoint.

Mendalla

Agnostic pan(en)theist gorilla
From my own standpoint, I tend to take the position that life, like so many other processes, is a consequence of the complexity of the universe. I do not hold that it is inevitable, but its seeming ability to take hold in some form in some fairly extreme environments and situations certainly suggests that its existence here likely means we will find it in some form elsewhere. But that does not mean the universe is innately friendly to any kind of life, only to the existence of self-replicating molecules that might, under the right conditions, become more complex structures. In most enviroments, that might stop at single celled or other simple structures, unable to advance to the multicellular level due to the environment. So I would largely agree with Krauss' contention that our existence is not because the universe as a whole is friendly to life, but because we inhabit a pocket of it that is friendly to our form of life. We might find lots of life out there, but nothing else resembling us.

Luce NDs

In the concept that the sentient factor of life is light ... it may pass quickly as de light comes and goes ... given the time involvement.

Then does time evolve? There are some that would argue this in a timeless matter of debate ... as humans are like that with their faults leading to deficiencies of various sorts leading to absolute and abstract darkness as is overhead through part of the day. Thus is what the Ancient Egyptians state came out of their god Nut a hard place to breach without some enlightenment through literature and othe devices of learning.

Yet many deny learning is good and demand it is evil as it breaches their sacret unseen spots ... like where the entitled and elite rush off to hide offshore wealth to avoid the taxes they imposed on the ordinary folk ...

Thus corruption in the abyss of the great avoidance of justice ... that is noted in several media forms ... although denied by powers:

We could ask "Y" but the laws say this must be formed properly for the strings of imposed power bonds .... so we are directed to shut up!

In the domain where this is lay 'd out due flaws in time appear causing people to drop into timeless dimensions? Thus the recess of night ... regression therapy?

Dear lord of the subtle ... assist me as I cross this dark spot we're in ... I've just encountered too many lies for this to be true of gospel or any other virtue ...

On top of that some may state that I've gotten too deep into a pool of alien justice ... criminal law?

Grisham and Baldacci in particular write Catch 22 items on this state ... in some places known a enigma, paradox or other as the ordinary folk would rather not resolve it ... explaining the support for corruption, hate and other exclusions!

I find it surprising why poor people, or even the middle adhere to these standards other than in believing theorugh flattery they could move into that high and mighty domain without thought or a clue ... and yet they do! Then of course I'm told I'm in strange waters ... a pro Fun-ditty?

Luce NDs

Science was once observation and a sense of enlightenment in a darker domain ... from which the word sentient evolved as a crazy sense of light sapient thing that rendered down to a jew 's of a difficult tree to approach ... mental hardwood? Oh Quies in the forest ... some say Oaky ...

So that the metaphorical understanding became distant also ... and the lights are always out somewhere as the sun is always over the yardarm somewhere and we must bier up to the swing ... as a really strange eccentric or wobble underfoot ... if you can grasp my meaning ... one has to love understanding (I Corinthians 13). Such is the alternate oblivion ... being that we're told that love and such emotions need to be done in digressionary form ... obscure.

As the Master stated ... let it be so Scottie ... the tissue evolved as tears were shed at damn strange humors ... amusing the fringe at a distance from the spot we found ourselves in ...

And a recent article on sleep addresses the falling off syndrome in a world of crisis that doesn't understand critical process ... as if it were mental and foreign ...

Thus chronic stress disorder as minds are disruptively stirred to a different awakening that humans do something for evolution ... and thoughts are expelled ... Elimination Theory! Aren't you glad we're done with presence ... and thus nod towards moving on ... the vessel we do this in is insane ... due to certain missing portions ...

Luce NDs

When we believe we are sentient ... have we got it all backward? Like the black and white shifts that come in lines bounded by red and yellow as if someone somewhere was bloody well pssst'd?

That's another kind of addiction ... doing such things in someone's teas or Tao Party ... that's the word ... be hospitable yet we're taught inhospitality as the game progresses as Gamma ... Greek Obscurity ... few think of these elements of how linguistic is constructed ... expect noodling!

jimkenney12

I like the view that there is a driving force for increasing complexity along with self sacrifice as providing the resources for that complexity. I wonder if our wanting some kind of motivation for everything that happens distracts from seeing and appreciating the isness of creation.

Luce NDs

Image the picture of it going round stirred but not shaken Mar Tiny ... representing a bit of turbulence to Æ rate it ... Grecian Pools ... an abstract without ends ...

Don't swallow the entire thing ... Æ 10 uph is sufficient ... after the uph'n a gasp ... sacred icons???? Go way ... before someone gets cranked ... my dismal vision ... the jump off point?

Like virus as viral ... too late you caught it! Everything and anything needs some light a Muse 'n ... that inner funny thing as deemed odd ... and doddering ... as a senate noodle! Tacky ... 4 sure ...

Last edited: