Is The Sabbath Still Relevant Today ?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Northwind

Still knitting. Walking the path to health.
Reaction score
From the beginning I've been opposed to Sunday shopping and treating Sunday as just another workday in the commercial world. I think just society in general benefits from a diet day of rest, recreation, and, renewal.
I was always torn by the Sunday shopping issue when it was an issue. My mother was a nurse and my father was a police officer, so they often had to work on Sundays. The argument that it should be a legislated, universal day of rest rang hollow with me. My mother was more successful in taking Sundays off work, and we usually had the family roast beef dinner on Sundays. My father continued to have to work Sundays on occasion.

I do agree that a day of rest is important.

I think you should be free to treat any day how you like. But making regulations that govern what day one must take as a "rest day" based on the requirements of one tradition should be a non-starter in the 21st century. Putting something in the labour laws guaranteeing employees one day off a week, I could go for. But that needn't mean forcing employers to shut down on a particular day.
I totally agree. We are in a multicultural world now. Even if we said Sundays were closed for religious reasons, that only focusses on one group. Heck, even Christians don't all see Sunday as the Sabbath. Giving employees the ability to have their sabbath (or equivalent) and ensuring those who are not religious have one day of rest is far more appropriate these days.

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
Reaction score
. We are in a multicultural world now. Even if we said Sundays were closed for religious reasons, that only focusses on one group. Heck, even Christians don't all see Sunday as the Sabbath. Giving employees the ability to have their sabbath (or equivalent) and ensuring those who are not religious have one day of rest is far more appropriate these days.
I suggest having Friday to Sunday off in solidarity with all major religions. And maybe add Wednesdays for the Atheists. ;)

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
I suggest having Friday to Sunday off in solidarity with all major religions. And maybe add Wednesdays for the Atheists. ;)
Ah, the mythical four (or three) day work week. Beloved of futurists in the seventies but it's as far away as ever it seems.

unsafe

Reaction score
I say
We Humans changed the original Sabbath day of rest from Sat to Sunday so it is just another human change to what was originally intended by God ---- It was originally sundown on Fir to sundown on Sat and was set apart by God for our rest from our labour to reflection on Him--- Exodus 20:8-11 tells us this

So while I believe that it is important for us humans to have a day of rest from our labour and reflect on our Spiritual well being for our soul ----I don't believe personally that many do rest no matter what day they pick and say it is their day of rest and reflect on their Spiritual well being --just my view -----This world is so focused on stuff that most of don't want to rest --we just want to keep working so we can afford all our wants and needs ---

This world is coming out with so many gadgets that say they make life so easy ----Alexa is one ----I wonder how many extra hours some of us humans worked to by this gadget ------taking advantage of the Sabbath is far from their agenda -----

Retirement gives some a Sabbath but for others they feel that retirement means you have to be travelling and constantly on the move ----their reflection is on themselves not God -------

So while a Sabbath day would and could refresh us -----how many actually take advantage of it ?

In my view we should set aside some Sabbath time every day not just one day a week for our Spiritual well being ---when our Spiritual well being is rested we are rested -----just my thoughts on this ------

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
Reaction score
Ah, the mythical four (or three) day work week. Beloved of futurists in the seventies but it's as far away as ever it seems.
It seems, Finnland is not ( yet) serious about the four day week. Interesting article in forbes

Northwind

Still knitting. Walking the path to health.
Reaction score
In my view we should set aside some Sabbath time every day not just one day a week for our Spiritual well being ---when our Spiritual well being is rested we are rested -----just my thoughts on this ------

I agree. One thing I noticed at work was the break time was less valued. Sometimes employees were seen as slackers for taking breaks. That is not a good change. Those 15 minutes spent with coffee and coworkers helped recharge and to build relationships. That in turn helps productively. Doing the same type if thing individually daily is also important.

Seeler

Reaction score
Sometimes I think I failed to communicate what is most important to me.
For instance, I am not nearly as concerned about having Sunday designated as the sabbath day (day off work) as I am concerned about the working people. I think society is better off with having one or two days off each week. In our society we have traditionally taken Saturday and Sunday - I suppose it could be just as easily be Monday and Tuesday, or Friday and Saturday. But I think it should be the same days for most of society to take a break. Seelerman and I have been fortunate in seldom having to work on Sunday outside the home. When our children reach their teens and started working in fast food we found out what it was like for families to juggle meal times, transportation and family time with people working on Sunday.

The fourth commandment says (from memory) Remember the sabbath day to keep it holy. In it shall not do any work, not you, nor your family, nor your male manservant, nor your female servant, nor your ox or ass or the stranger that is within your gate.
That seems to cover just about everybody, so it seemed ironic that suggestions for keeping Sabbath included eating out on that day.

Did you notice that it is usually the young, poorly educated, or otherwise disadvantaged who often work these jobs? If society requires business as usual every day of the week, why do you not see government offices and services, banks, dentist office, and other professionals open at these times.

Another consideration in keeping this commandment is to define what is work. Is it work to press the elevator button, or switch on the light? To care for a baby? Or prepare a meal? Or go for a walk? Or play a game? Or paint a beautiful picture? Or have a discussion with a neighbour?

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
But I think it should be the same days for most of society to take a break
But then you are in the situation of picking days that work for most people and having to justify why those days were picked. You cannot use scripture as that justification as already discussed so how?

Chansen's skiing is his "Sabbath". Should the ski hill have to close on Sunday? What about the pharmacies? Someone might need a scrip filled. Or do you say that they can fill scrips but can't sell anything else? That's the kind of nonsense we had with the old retail holiday act in Ontario. I could rent a video from Steve's TV in Kitchener but they had to rope off everything else because they could not, for instance, sell me a VCR to play it or a TV to watch it.

If people are guaranteed a day off and they and/or their employer pick it themselves, then you avoid that problem. And it happens now. There are a number of businesses in London that close by choice on Monday, including the Viet-Thai restaurant I patronize. What's wrong with leaving the system in place that gives them that choice?

My branch of CIBC is open on Sundays.

And arguing that closing on weekends is customary in the business world would be something you could invoke to justify that as your common day of rest.

But I suspect that if you give people a Sabbath like you propose with no theatres or restaurants open, their interest in having a Sabbath would wane quickly. Who wants a day off when your favorite day off activities are closed?

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Another consideration in keeping this commandment is to define what is work. Is it work to press the elevator button, or switch on the light? To care for a baby? Or prepare a meal? Or go for a walk? Or play a game? Or paint a beautiful picture? Or have a discussion with a neighbour?
Some of those are technically work but all should be legit for the Sabbath. I have heard some serious nonsense about what should and shouldn't be allowed on the Sabbath. In the end, as far as what you can and cannot do, I seem to recall someone saying that the Sabbath was made for humans, not humans for the Sabbath. We still have to eat. We still have to care for our kids. And if you eliminate doing things for pleasure, you are left with people sitting around looking grumpy.

Again, it has to come back to individual choices. We should be able to choose what we do when. When we take our "Sabbath", what we can do on it, how we spend it, and so on.

Oh, and I would point out one more thing: expecting stores to close on the Sabbath, whatever day that is, would likely kill some of them. Amazon and others of its ilk will still still be operating and having local stores closed once a week may just push more people into their arms.

Last edited:

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
I think what maybe should happen is that employers should need to respect their employee's religious needs. Which I think, in Ontario/Canada, they do anyway. I allow my schedulers a pretty wide arena when it comes to my availability. BUT, I am not available Tues evening (my progressive Xianity class), Wednesday (my "church" day; I schedule whichever meetings I need to in here if possible; it's anchored by a preferred bible study in the morning, and board meetings are Wednesday nights), and Sunday before 12:30, so I can go to church. Never a problem.

GeoFee

I am who I am becoming...
Reaction score
Those who do not rest suffer exhaustion of body, mind and spirit.

I gained an insight while living on the Prairie. The land was once occupied by hundreds of families living as subsistence farmers. These lived as neighbours, working together at seed time and at harvest. Houses and barns were built cooperatively and usually included a community feast, with music and dancing. These folk understood and respected that land required rest. All productive property was allowed to remain fallow for a season. Not so now. The land is owned and operated by corporate powers. Each working tens of thousands of acres. Feeding their crops with chemicals by which the land is stripped of its fertility. This revealing a failure respect for the land's need for rest.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
Turns out that soil doesn't like to be fallow. Except for the months that it is frozen, it should be not fallow, but seeded with a cover crop and crops rotated thoroughly and scientifically. Turns out that the "rest" of winter is just fine. Soil is happy when it is growing stuff. Also very happy to be trampled on and fertilized by foraging farm critters. What is the real problem with big ag is i) monocropping and ii) petroleum based inputs (fertilizers, herbicides, pesticides).

How Saskatchewan farmers are preparing for climate change | The Star

Sometimes it's not exactly the past we need to return to, but more, learning how to bring the best of the past into the future. Sometimes, history tells us that we threw out the wrong things, took a wrong turn. You can't go back there, but you can turn back to look at that wisdom and figure out how to make it mesh with present realities.

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Here's a good one:

• Pode is an old word for graft ... like a stem of one thing attached to another

Then antipode is a word allowing for something just the opposite. Considering that poad is a word for a black person .... can you relates to the antipodes and aboriginal concept of survival? Later one might enter the state of sapient nature ... though others will have an opposing opinion! Thus the concept of white-black and a shady mean! Imagine Judah becoming unhinged under a tree ... as if just grafted by who else ... the lady of the tree (Terre-awe)? After ripping through taboo ... nothing left but the rush!

Alexander Hamilton once said that "opinion, whether well or ill founded, was the governing principle of human affairs." Can you beat that with some branch that has slipped over the veil to suck up to the VAL? What is the opposite dimension to such turbulent existence ...

Antipode was once considered Australia from a western European perspective ... now is that presenting sentient condition for more?

In black and white political terms does this eliminate the means as did Porgy and Bess with their beef on washed out northerners?

Some people cannot see into the depths of black and white of the story resulting in a twilight zone that may degrade into red sails or blues once the action is over and done, passed off as graft ... Reproduction* --- a good tome including some of that dark English from NC ... somehow related to guff awe! May free a sol from an enslaved mind if expansive ... imagining other pain for real? Empath!

* By Ian Williams (so will and I am is slipped into the opinion)! The scripted word is without emotion ... because it was wasted in the effort of being laid out! Some say it is prodigal levity. Few see the levity Eire!

Parallel words; metaphors ... Noah A! Thus the go way expression ... all taken in vain ... plural veins as they branch out ... cap Hillarys, codead?

There may be rare calls for serenity and calm seize ... the hart is ath Ornery essence!

There are many prickly stories to be told based on odd letters ... like a "þ" crossed with an "x" the defined unknown! In Cyrillic form it is a thorn that allows pokes ... some don't pode well! Thus dreams of incubus and succubus depending on imposed opinions!

The complexity is beyond simple opinions ...

Last edited:

You just never know

Blip, blip, blip....
Reaction score
I occasionally shop on Sunday, but I remember how much I hated it in a former job when I had to work the weekend while everybody else was off. Mostly I try not to make others work any more than necessary on the weekend.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
I actually consider Wednesday my "sabbath". I start the day with a bible study, and often, there's something in the afternoon (the friendship group wants me to talk, or do the audio-visual stuff), youth group meets that night, as does the Board, and quarterly, my Transformation Team. It's so likely to contain conflicts that it's my mandated "day off" at work, and they don't even call me. Today, I made pulled pork for Friday's Loonie Lunch. After bible study. Before arriving back to church to do projection at 6:30 and put the pork in the fridge.

Luce NDs

Reaction score
IT s'ABBA'Deis for the rich and powerful while the working gnomes are not producing the right stuff! Only conceptual residuals ... and you know how well tyrants like thoughts.

Went to a funeral yesterday of an old friend that would say: "remember lad, thinking men are dangerous in the eye of Roman Merc's"! It had a undertone of Bruti ... brute aye?

Then there is Ares rock ... yet unseen as a hard light ...

Mystic

Reaction score
John the seer identifies the Christian day of worship as "the Lord's Day