Is the Bible an Extensive Parable?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Luce NDs

Reaction score
That is to say as straight liner it is somewhat of a distracting myth ... as in this world the truth cannot be told as it is too painful for the biguns on balance in the metaphor of the Golden Rule?

The tyrants are happy with the straight line approach and understand nothing of the wind as it shifts in ruag fashion! May incarnate as resolute ... yet they subtly evolve --- CS Lewis on wastelands!

Expect mud may fly ... even on the backs of turtles in space ...

Luce NDs

Reaction score
How far will denial carry one in the search for truth? Into a large void as it was dispersed ...

Imagine similar biblical parallels and the fact that the Jesus Syndrome raised para Bells! Ohm dingers ...

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
It's a book of parables, I would say, more than being one big one. And not everything in it is a parable, either. I don't think poetry like the psalms really qualifies or Ecclesiastes, which is basically a philosophical tract. But there are a lot of stories in there that do fit. Jonah comes to mind as being a kind of extended parable.

I find it to be an ongoing parable within a parable - kind of like quantum, or meta, Babushka dolls.
The Gospels in particular, where some of the stories about Jesus strike me as clearly parables but also contain parables told by him.

Reaction score
When I suspend my pragmatic tendencies, and don’t compartmentalize it, it’s a living parable. The whole thing, taken as a whole.

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Then there is the dissolutionary pragma concerning powers worrying the Covid deficit .. and not the huge deficit raised by huge benefits to the extensively wealthy with accrued physical stuff ... and yet little of the intangible!

Whos sold it ... thas ole that was B'woke! Few gras pit!

Redbaron

The Legend Continues
Reaction score
I find it to be an ongoing parable within a parable - kind of like quantum, or meta, Babushka dolls.
Sort of like the five sightless people describing an elephant. All describe the same thing but from wildly veried perspectives.
Take, for example, the Gospel lectionary reading this week, from Matt. 13:31-35, 44-52. Jesus describes the Kingdom ('The Kingdom is like....') in 5 different ways: seed, yeast, a pearl of incomparable value, a treasure in a field, a fishing net). There are some similarities among some of them, but they a 5 ways of seeing the same entitiy. None entirely right, but none of these wrong, either.

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Elephant with a penta touch of being watched ... from odd angels ...

Pavlos Maros

Reaction score
The bible in and by itself is a book of fiction much like aesops fables. And as such contains morality tales throughout. To be seen any other way is foolish. It contains no real truth, just allegorical truth regarding human existence, using symbolic fictional figures. Be they animal, vegetable, or mineral.

Reaction score
It’s too uncanny to be only that. It’s in the space between fiction and non fiction. Real, but metaphorical. True, but not literal. It’s in the past, present, and future. It’s a wave and a particle.

This is what I think of by it being an ongoing parable - with a quantum/ meta quality. All the stories of the essence of humanity are in there, while the sum of them is not. It lives inside itself looking out, and outside itself looking in. There’s meaning there when you open up to finding meaning.

Here’s a small entertaining example of sort of what I mean. And not everybody, if they chose to give that natural event a deeper meaning, would give it the same meaning, either. Think about, in these times - if you were to suspend disbelief in God for a few minutes - the different meanings different people could give to that event. Two jump out right away. One is about seeking justice, the other is built on a foundation of lies. When you can see that, it’s not necessary to take the bible literally, and certainly not as the only source of wisdom...but you can’t unsee it either.

Last edited:

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
The space between fiction and non fiction is fiction. It is an "either" "or" scenerio.
I agree with this statement. But fiction can still convey truth and meaning. Mythology is essentially fiction with meaning and with the intent of trying to understand something or convey meaning. It is all in the imagery and language used.

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Myth and fiction is very acceptable being that truth is so painful about our enemies being our best friend ...

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
The space between fiction and non fiction is fiction. It is an "either" "or" scenerio.
Well, there's fact (observable/measurable) and there's analysis (not necessarily accurate), and there's opinion (often not terribly well thought out), and there are "truths" about big issues, and there are "myths" to explain big ideas, and there are stories that might not be true but are, nonetheless important and foundational (think of Cain and Abel in Western culture, the Anansi stories in African lore). And then there's poetry, and drama. I don't think you'd be arguing that Yeats had nothing important to say?

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Well, there's fact (observable/measurable) and there's analysis (not necessarily accurate), and there's opinion (often not terribly well thought out), and there are "truths" about big issues, and there are "myths" to explain big ideas, and there are stories that might not be true but are, nonetheless important and foundational (think of Cain and Abel in Western culture, the Anansi stories in African lore). And then there's poetry, and drama. I don't think you'd be arguing that Yeats had nothing important to say?
The space between fiction and non fiction is vacuous ... and potential for that sucking-in sensation ... common medium of the great formless void ... to be made something of!

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Nuh-uh. Wave and particle scenario.
Pavlos may not deal with Uncertainty Theory well regarding the cat out of the box scenario! They I can envion other resolute character developments having even more shallow problems with this as fascists ... more masques?

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Nuh-uh. Wave and particle scenario.
Which is one of the most misunderstood elements of quantum mechanics. In fact the correct answer today is a fluctuation in a quantum field that has characteristics of both. Roughly. More or less.

And I reject the notion that quantum mechanics has any application in this scenario.

But I do agree that fiction vs. non-fiction is a problematic binary. It is all stories, in the end, but the truth of those stories is not a simple binary or even a linear continuum. Probably a two-dimensional field of some kind at minimum.

I mean, if I write a novel that is an exact replication of my own high school years but gender-flips everyone, you can still learn a lot about my youth, but it won't be "non-fiction" strictly speaking. So it is truer than a novel that casts me as a popular jock dating a hot cheerleader, but less true than a proper autobiography.

Last edited: