Internet Outrage, Public Shaming, and the Modern-Day Pharisee Phenomenon

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Inannawhimsey

M&M, Cascadian Lovers
Reaction score
This interesting article popped up today on my news feed - Internet Outrage, Public Shaming, and the Modern-Day Pharisee Phenomenon | Scott Sauls

I've been seeing a lot more of this on my 'community FRIENDS' fb page and others lately. The Friends page seems to be becoming less 'friendly'.

A couple of examples - post with photos about "horrific" graffiti tagging. Sorry - but simple non-racist, non-political, not hateful tagging graffiti is not "horrific" - concentration camps are horrific, deaths of countless numbers in LTC facilities might be considered horrific - but tagging? It's vandalism yes and not okay, but "horrific" no. Not IMO.

Pictures of trash cans in parks overflowing with trash after the weekend when lots of people have been out and enjoying the park (that's what they're for right? for people to use?) - "disgusting people coming into our neighbourhood - they're not even from around here" - uh - and you know this how? These sort of posts tend to get a lot of responses.

Comments about others not wearing masks; that businesses are negligent for not providing masks for their customers; people not physically distancing as others think they should ... the list goes on.

Posting a dissenting view, even when couched in the gentlest of terms - often nets one a backlash of nastiness - been there, received that. It's hard to know whether it's worth it to keep commenting with different points of view, but distressing to see the voices of the 'pharisees' becoming more strident in my neighbourhood. Are you seeing similar things on your neighbourhood pages? Do you scroll on by or say something? How do you decide?
Its all over the place
Since the 'net is now the World (see the many Corporate news articles that are just aboot twitter "controversy")...
Add to that to global humanity for the first time with a kind of telepathy...
Add to that this humanity is made up of many different BS, cultures, tribes, social norms, ages, lived experiences, neurobiological diversities, educational levels, etc.
Add to that legacy media which is dying, not being able to compete with this new world...
Add to that it only takes what some 10 per cent of population to contain fundy believers for that belief to spread through the mainstream...
Add to that different countries, governments, lifestyles...
We have the Peoplez Judean Front and the Peoplez Front of Judeau...
We have small brains and huge glands...
We have global minority whose metaphysics is so broken yet whose works are so successful the world is breaking under the strain...meaning and purpose merely epiphenomena overlain a deep meaninglessness...
Then we have the various Spirits and Agencies that have their own agendas who have been around as long or longer than humanity...some of whom are hungry...some of whom want to be left alone...and so forth...
We are creating a world where a complete ignorant person will have the capacity to affect the world on an unimaginable scale like that...3d printers...diy genetics...ai...robotics...internet of things...oh my!!!

So we have Chinese being cancelled by China for holding wrong opinions. We have a random USA guy losing his job because one wanker thot his ok sign was a white supremacy symbol. We have a global cancel culture movement against Palestinians. We have a worker talking at a meeting in regards to words not to say using the n word and getting fired. We have women getting FGM. We have a global surveilance state. We have powerful orgs like NYT doxxing journalists so that they have to move. We have a single woman with a terrible web page being designated a hate group by SPLC. We have various countries and governments egaging in compelled speech. We have accepted various racisms and sexisms and a whole shwack of isms but not for all identities. We have people fundieing, getting more narrow viewpoints. We have a personz place of business vandalized because of an advertizement. We have people pouring through decades of documentation to get an ordinary person fired for one bad comment.

It was the best of times.
It was the worst of times.

Scroll down for the Global Palestinian Cancel Culture ans even farther down for chilling tales of outrage and cancellation

I have seen several attempts at making a digital bill of rights. We r somewhere I dont think humanity has been before.

I hope we survive this bout of Creature from the Id madness.

I still love the net. As I joke there are lost civilizations in there. So much possibility and innovation ways of existing.

#MutualAid
#BeNotAfraid
#SystemicWhimsey
#JoyPrivilege

Last edited:

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Knowledge is thus all over the place because humans do not to wish to retain truthful information that is painful about ... relative human toxicity!

Then on omnivorism ... I take a bit of everything ... since when I decompose something or other will suck me up for a reconstitution in a great scatter ... thus I will blow in a Pneuma ... manna 've wind? Foul smells ... archaic indication or seminal leaning ... a sign!

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
Reaction score
This interesting article popped up today on my news feed - Internet Outrage, Public Shaming, and the Modern-Day Pharisee Phenomenon | Scott Sauls

I've been seeing a lot more of this on my 'community FRIENDS' fb page and others lately. The Friends page seems to be becoming less 'friendly'.

A couple of examples - post with photos about "horrific" graffiti tagging. Sorry - but simple non-racist, non-political, not hateful tagging graffiti is not "horrific" - concentration camps are horrific, deaths of countless numbers in LTC facilities might be considered horrific - but tagging? It's vandalism yes and not okay, but "horrific" no. Not IMO.

Pictures of trash cans in parks overflowing with trash after the weekend when lots of people have been out and enjoying the park (that's what they're for right? for people to use?) - "disgusting people coming into our neighbourhood - they're not even from around here" - uh - and you know this how? These sort of posts tend to get a lot of responses.

Comments about others not wearing masks; that businesses are negligent for not providing masks for their customers; people not physically distancing as others think they should ... the list goes on.

Posting a dissenting view, even when couched in the gentlest of terms - often nets one a backlash of nastiness - been there, received that. It's hard to know whether it's worth it to keep commenting with different points of view, but distressing to see the voices of the 'pharisees' becoming more strident in my neighbourhood. Are you seeing similar things on your neighbourhood pages? Do you scroll on by or say something? How do you decide?
Thanks for this, @Carolla , I just found it. Had to think immediately of the “Karen” thread- the husband loosing his job for standing by while his wife was asking the black person who was printing the BLM sign.
This article exactly describes what is going on there. People love to judge and are taking it to a new level, because 1000 followers on facebook seem to think the same way that people have to be punished. Unfortunately, the human being is so psychologically programmed to be “ part of the crowd” that online media turns into a dangerous weapon.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
There's just so many aspects to this. Some good, some bad. Laws come about because of what isn't socially acceptable. Sometimes too the justice system just fails.
I thought it was ridiculous that Wade Stene was in the neighbourhood on bail after what he did. Those who just camped out to protest & keep an eye, I'm for that if the victim's family was ok with it and the property owners were ok of the yards that were being used.
It went over the top though, my understanding is when outsiders showed up. Harassing others, illegal things, that wasn't ok.

Pinga

Room for All
Reaction score
I was fed up with the "they're evil", "i'm good", and Anti-american soapboxes.
I started looking at how i contributed to it, and other vigilante type images of folks

I started by being intentional about saying what will not be allowed on my facebook posts.

Then I turned down the friend relationships in facebook for those who i found their responses toxic to me. They may be good for them, but i don't need it.

I have also quit being a part of groups where people were just enjoying fighting or having good/evil approaches to topics.
I have found that the level of mediation required to ensure healthy conversation is not one that I am willing to spend the time on day-in and day-out.

I am really thankful to the moderation of a gardening group that i belong to who is really clear -- no home remedies are to be presented or discussed. It is amazing the tone that they have shown. There is also no selling allowed.

Pinga

Room for All
Reaction score
ps that function is called "take a break" in facebook. it works well. The person doesn't know that they are seeing less of your posts, and you see less of theirs. quite nice.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
no home remedies are to be presented or discussed.
I assume that this does not dismiss "home made" fertilizers and soil treatments? I think that nettle and comfrey compost teas should be in every gardener's toolbox.

Reaction score
I love herbal home remedies for minor familiar problems. I would never stake my life on them or recommend them in place of medical advice. Otherwise, yeah, they can help. It's not for kids. Adults should be able to discuss how they benefit themselves, and they should know to exercise their own caution and discretion with "any" kind of medicine, and discuss it with their doctor, natural or not.

For example - Peppermint helps keep wasps away. There is not a damn thing in the chemical repellant aisle that does. That's important. I would much rather perfume myself with peppermint than need to get out my prescription epi-pen after the fact.

Pinga

Room for All
Reaction score
Adults can discuss in groups designed for such dialogues. The garden group has clearly stated it isn't the place for it. I appreciate it and most respect the rules

Pinga

Room for All
Reaction score
I assume that this does not dismiss "home made" fertilizers and soil treatments? I think that nettle and comfrey compost teas should be in every gardener's toolbox.
The benefits of compost are gleefully shared, as is the delight of a mint tea

Northwind

Still knitting. Walking the path to health.
Reaction score
This is an interesting topic. The issue with the photographers hit me because I used to live and work in that area. I believe all parties handled that badly. As others have said, there likely better ways to say they could not do the wedding, even ways that didn't compromise their values. I was struck by their apparently naive self-righteous way of saying they wouldn't photograph a same sex wedding. I'm guessing they are part of a somewhat insulated community where they are surrounded by others who feel the same. Self-righteous is probably too strong a description. It's all I've got right now. I also wonder what the motivation was for the couple to name and shame. Did they hope the media s**tstorm would happen? While I don't condone the actions of the photographers, they are entitled to chose who they have as customers. I don't think they deserved to have their business destroyed.

I've been concerned about what happens to the people who are publicly shamed for what often is plain dumb behaviour. Amy Cooper acted very badly when she interacted with Christian Cooper in Central Park. Did she deserve to have her life ruined. I'm thinking having a video of yourself acting like that would be enough to trigger some self-reflection and change. Mr Cooper had a good approach where he maintained his dignity and did not want Ms Cooper to be pilloried. As I type this, there was a huge opportunity for dialogue and learning there.

I'm thinking of the "before you cast the first stone" idea. We are all capable I'm sure of finding ourselves on the wrong side of some of these interactions. Do we want to be part of the mean spiritedness that would destroy another.

Reaction score
What motivates most people, I think, is anger at a perceived injustice that the structures we've built often do a poor job of addressing.

The thing about the Coopers is if Chris' video had not gone up it would've been just another anonymous incident that happens all the goddam time and black people are fed up with white people for our ignorance. And Amy (or Karen who represents all the Amys ) might've pulled a stunt like that again. She was dangerous. She did deserve to lose her job. And I'm sure she'll get another one. Think of all the people who lose their jobs for trying to stand up for ethics, and for doing the right thing. She lost her job for behaving like a dangerous racist. It wasn't some incident long past, it was in the present.

Last edited: