Informative Article on God's Unconditional and Conditional Love ------

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

unsafe

I agree with this Article that God's Love --is both Unconditional and Conditional -------

KNOWING GOD AND HIS WAYS
The website of author Craig Brian Larson
https://craigbrianlarson.com/gods-unconditional-conditional-love/

Is God’s love unconditional? Yes.

Is God’s love conditional? Yes.

God’s unconditional love
We define unconditional love as not requiring a person being loved to fulfill any conditions. Unconditional love gives love regardless of whether the beloved deserves love or wants love. Unconditional love does not say, “I will love you if….”

Jesus said, your father who is in heaven “makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust” (Matthew 5:45 ESV). That is unconditional love.

God resembles a human father who loves his child long before the child is able to respond to that love. The father gives the child a home, pays for her food, diapers, doctor visits, clothing. His daughter returns this kindness with poopy diapers, crying in the middle of the night, and regular demands to be held and walked. Still, the father keeps giving and giving. This is unconditional love.

Scripture says, “God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us” (Romans 5:8 ESV).

God loves people unconditionally. He loves because he loves. He loves even his enemies. He loves sinners.

Scripture says, “We love because he first loved us” (1 John 4:19 ESV).

God planned to send his Son to suffer and die for our sins before we were even born. He brought the gospel message to our ears when we did not want to hear the message and convicted us of our sin and godlessness when we did not want to be reminded of it. He poured out his wrath on his holy, beloved, precious Son so he would not have to pour wrath on us. He did this while people were still sinners. This is unconditional love.

God’s conditional love
On the other hand, conditional love says, “My love requires something from you.” Again and again the Bible shows that when God gives love he demands something.

Jesus said, “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’” (Matthew 7:21–23 ESV)

What could be more conditional than that? In effect, Jesus says, I have loved you, but if you insist on disobeying my Father and living lawlessly, depart from me. I never knew you.

That is conditional love.

God delivered the Israelites from Egypt unconditionally. He called Moses and sent him against Pharaoh with ten plagues even though the Israelites soon told Moses to leave them alone. God parted the Red Sea and set the people free. Then at Mount Sinai he gave the people his commands and taught them how to live in covenant with him. Nevertheless, again and again they refused to believe and obey God, until finally God sent them to wander for 40 years in the desert until the last of the rebellious men had died.

That is conditional love. God didn’t say he would love each of them no matter what. He said they had to keep his covenant.

One of the best-known verses in the Bible says, “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God” (John 3:16–18, ESV).

In other words, God loved the world unconditionally by sending Jesus, but the condition for escaping condemnation is believing in Jesus. If a person rejects Jesus, then God’s unconditional love does them no good at all. Meet the condition, or perish.

Elsewhere, the New Testament says, “Do you presume on the riches of his kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that God’s kindness is meant to lead you to repentance? But because of your hard and impenitent heart you are storing up wrath for yourself on the day of wrath when God’s righteous judgment will be revealed” (Romans 2:4–5 ESV). That is conditional love. Respond to my love or suffer my wrath.

The problem with talking about God’s unconditional love
God’s unconditional love in Jesus is our song and message. Unfortunately, in our culture today, when we talk about God’s unconditional love, many people misunderstand that to mean God requires nothing from them. Many think “God loves you” means they don’t need to believe in Jesus, don’t need to repent of their sins, don’t need to pursue holiness, don’t need to worship or give thanks to God, don’t need to pay attention to the Bible, don’t need to have anything to do with the church. They think they can live however they want, or at least be a generally good person, and believe whatever they want regardless of what the Bible says, and God loves them enough to surely welcome them into heaven. Tragically, they are wrong, and ultimately dead wrong.

Maybe it's a quantum thing. God's Love is both until you observe it, then the waveform collapses into one or the other.:nerd:

Okay, let's face it, I got nuthin' either.

A God with ups and downs and other variations in the background support?

Thus the water metaphor to stress the darker pools of Shadow!

So God promises unconditional love but then says there are conditions? This makes God a liar doesn't it?

IF You -----2 small words but with big meaning in God's word --------

this is Jesus speaking here -----If you----- is used 3 times in the first section of this Scripture -showing a condition -----

Read All ---I am posting the if you verses only in-1-17 showing Conditional Love
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+15 &version=ESV

John 15 (ESV)
I Am the True Vine

7 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.

10 If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love.

14 You are my friends if you do what I command you.

So should we just leave out the --if you ---and just Preach the word the way we want ------For me personally it is a big NO --as for me it gives people False Hope -----

Waterfall ---your quote ----So God promises unconditional love but then says there are conditions? This makes God a liar doesn't it?

Why does it ?---God loves all people with all their Sinful baggage ------He Loves us even when we don't love Him ----Even when we Curse Him He still Loves us ------ God Loves all His Creation all the time no matter what we do His Love never fails us -----His Covenants are agreements made with Humanity -----there is always conditions attached to Agreements between people ------His Love for us Personally remains but His agreements need conditions that have to be adhered to ------A Marriage contract has agreements between the man and woman ----A Business contract has agreements between the parties

KJV Dictionary Definition:
https://av1611.com/kjbp/kjv-dictionary/covenable.html
covenant
COVENANT, n. L, to come; a coming together; a meeting or agreement of minds.

3. In theology, the covenant of works, is that implied in the commands, prohibitions, and promises of God; the promise of God to man, that mans perfect obedience should entitle him to happiness. This do, and live; that do, and die.

The covenant of redemption, is the mutual agreement between the Father and Son, respecting the redemption of sinners by Christ.

The covenant of grace, is that by which God engages to bestow salvation on man, upon the condition that man shall believe in Christ and yield obedience to the terms of the gospel.

4. In church affairs, a solemn agreement between the members of a church, that they will walk together according to the precepts of the gospel, in brotherly affection.

Waterfall ---your quote ----So God promises unconditional love but then says there are conditions? This makes God a liar doesn't it?

Why does it ?---God loves all people with all their Sinful baggage ------He Loves us even when we don't love Him ----Even when we Curse Him He still Loves us ------ God Loves all His Creation all the time no matter what we do His Love never fails us -----His Covenants are agreements made with Humanity -----there is always conditions attached to Agreements between people ------His Love for us Personally remains but His agreements need conditions that have to be adhered to ------A Marriage contract has agreements between the man and woman ----A Business contract has agreements between the parties

KJV Dictionary Definition:
https://av1611.com/kjbp/kjv-dictionary/covenable.html
covenant
COVENANT, n. L, to come; a coming together; a meeting or agreement of minds.

3. In theology, the covenant of works, is that implied in the commands, prohibitions, and promises of God; the promise of God to man, that mans perfect obedience should entitle him to happiness. This do, and live; that do, and die.

The covenant of redemption, is the mutual agreement between the Father and Son, respecting the redemption of sinners by Christ.

The covenant of grace, is that by which God engages to bestow salvation on man, upon the condition that man shall believe in Christ and yield obedience to the terms of the gospel.

4. In church affairs, a solemn agreement between the members of a church, that they will walk together according to the precepts of the gospel, in brotherly affection.
You continue to go on about why God still loves us but places conditions upon the agreement to receive his love.....except this doesn't work with scripture that tells us his love is unconditional.
God's love is sounding very human.

Give me the scripture that says God's love is totally unconditional ----you will be hard pressed to find it cause it doesn't exist -----no where in scripture does it says that -----Give me the Scripture that you think God says His Love is Totally Unconditional -----

Give me the scripture that says God's love is totally unconditional ----you will be hard pressed to find it cause it doesn't exist -----no where in scripture does it says that -----Give me the Scripture that you think God says His Love is Totally Unconditional -----
Did you not post some yourself in the OP?

Give me the Scripture that you think God says His Love is Totally Unconditional

Look, "totally" here is redundant for the same reason your OP made no sense. "Un" negates the word it is prefixed to. So "unconditional" by definition means "no conditions" so there is no need for "totally". "Unconditional" is already "totally". SImilarly, nothing can be both "conditional" and "unconditional". As soon as there are any conditions, even one, you have to ditch the "un".

Also, Jesus said to love your enemies. Some of those enemies are murderers, thieves, etc....
Did he say only to love the good enemies or the ones that obeyed his covenants or agreements, such as his commandment not to kill?

Look, "totally" here is redundant for the same reason your OP made no sense. "Un" negates the word it is prefixed to. So "unconditional" by definition means "no conditions" so there is no need for "totally". "Unconditional" is already "totally". SImilarly, nothing can be both "conditional" and "unconditional". As soon as there are any conditions, even one, you have to ditch the "un".
Or it's a lie.

Without the "UN" we couldn't form an integral (ʅ) Sun ... as described by Robert Service in all the mystery beneath the Midnight ... realize it is all dark and occult!

In another tradition the ʅ becomes f and this function may go on ... as human screw-wup! Indicative of all that we do not really know!

I.E. We lost it ...

Mendalla ------your quote -----Look, "totally" here is redundant for the same reason your OP made no sense. "Un" negates the word it is prefixed to. So "unconditional" by definition means "no conditions" so there is no need for "totally". "Unconditional" is already "totally". SImilarly, nothing can be both "conditional" and "unconditional". As soon as there are any conditions, even one, you have to ditch the "un".

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it ------we very much disagree on the Opening Post making no sense as for me it makes perfect sense -----and the Scripture says what it says and no one can change that ---all people can do is reject it and say it makes no sense to them ---- which is fine by me ------:)

When with a contrary opinion to the opinionated ... you are UN-right!

It is part of emotional existence ... it sticks until you get beyond that state! Then Sophia and Sephora sets in ...

Back