If you are using Windows 7, please read this...

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Windows 7 is now in its final year of what Microsoft calls "extended support". This means that after January 14, 2020, there will be no more patches or updates of any kind, including security, for Windows 7.

Microsoft Windows 7 extended support will end in one year

If you are currently using Windows 7, I highly recommend that you start considering buying a new computer or upgrading the one you have to Windows 10, the current version. You have a year and can probably go a bit past that but you really need to do it. It's not like it will suddenly, magically die on January 14 of next year, you just won't get security fixes anymore so it will become vulnerable to and, consequently, a target of hackers, malware, etc.

As for other versions of Windows:

Windows XP and Vista are now long out of extended support. If you are using one of them, you are playing with fire.

Windows 8 is also out of extended support, supplanted by Windows 8.1

Windows 8.1 has four years left, with extended support due to expire on January 10, 2023.

Windows 10 works a bit differently, since it gets continuous updates. Assuming you are receiving and accepting the regular updates, the current update, released last November, is good until May 2021 but there will be other updates well before then that will extend it.

Consider this friendly advice from your favorite admin ape. :nerd:

I almost exclusively use my iPhone and iPad which are both "older" versions handed down to me. The continuous upgrades are annoying. I just get used to one version and suddenly it changes, with some unnecessary bell and whistle upgrades I don't need, that really don't improve my life at all. Their attempt to make it simpler becomes more complicated with the continuous learning curve imposed on us, for negligible "improvements" (and excuses to sell more gadgets compatible with those improvements, surely).

My old laptop that crashed - went totally black or dark blue - it basically slipped into a digital coma. There was a battery problem first, then windows would take forever to load - then it totally crashed with no way to input any keyboard commands - used vista - seems like eons ago.

This reminds me of another tech complaint I have. I'll start another thread.

Last edited: