How was church today?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

jimkenney12

Continuing church shopping in Hawkesbury. Went to St. Paul's Presbyterian. Minister is quite personable. Old fashioned service except no prayer of confession. I reading and sermon were at the end of the service. The musician was excellent playing the music at a good beat. The reading was from Daniel, Daniel in the lion's den. The message was about the connection of the story to remaining faithful in difficult times, especially in the face of persecution. I plan to ask him at the men's prayer breakfast in three weeks if he thinks the church is being persecuted.

Next Sunday I plan to visit the United Church in Van Kleek Hill.

Mystic

Continuing church shopping in Hawkesbury. Went to St. Paul's Presbyterian. Minister is quite personable. Old fashioned service except no prayer of confession. I reading and sermon were at the end of the service. The musician was excellent playing the music at a good beat. The reading was from Daniel, Daniel in the lion's den. The message was about the connection of the story to remaining faithful in difficult times, especially in the face of persecution. I plan to ask him at the men's prayer breakfast in three weeks if he thinks the church is being persecuted.

Next Sunday I plan to visit the United Church in Van Kleek Hill.
My church hopping ventures took me to the local Assembly of God church. The sermon focused on Jesus' healing of the man born blind (John 9). The sermon made helpful points of the purpose of a life filled with physical infirmity, I couldn't get past 4 distractions.
(1) The pastor kept shouting "Woo hoo!" throughout the service and sermon, I guess, in an effort to appeal to the younger congregants.
(2) To show that he was hip, he used the word "cool!" a couple of times, which I found annoying.
(3) He was joyful and witty, but had a maniacal loud cackling laugh befitting a horror movie.
(4) He made some mistakes in pontificating about the historical background of the text. As an ex-Theology professor, I find myself automatically critiquing the merits of a pastor's sermon preparation. I hate that about myself because I need to expect a blessing from the service, but I just can't silence that inner critical voice!

jimkenney12

It is hard as a retired preacher or theologian to avoid critiquing services. I appreciate services like a previous service at a local United Church led by a lay person. She stayed with what she knew and did not do anything that distracted from the message she was sharing. It felt like a worship service.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Pronouns
She/Her/Her
Church was very good today. The rev did a lovely job of Reign of Christ Sunday, which is not an easy one. I was the slide projecting person, and there were a couple of little glitches to work around - a video whose sound was way too low, and a refrain to the psalm where I had to find the refrain to practice it first, then flip back to the beginning of the psalm.

And the bake sale yesterday went well, and there were a few leftovers for sale today, so I don't feel awful for skipping my baking contribution this year.

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Pronouns
She/Her/Her
I listened to church online at Hillhurst in Calgary - thinking of YouJustNeverKnow as well. I like the relevance of their services to what's occuring in life. Right now they're doing a series on aspects of "the Hero's Journey". On Sunday, John included an interview he did recently with the CEO of West Jet on the way in which he responded to an unexpected situation by acknowledging & taking responsibility for it when addressing the very disgruntled passengers on the plane. It was a good interview, and ended with the CEO commenting that might just have to drop by Hillhurst to see what's going on there. :)