How was church, February 23 edition

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
@mgagnonlv suggested that we should do a separate thread for each Sunday rather than having a monolithic thread as we do now. So, I am seeing how that goes.

I was at Wesley-Knox United today. It was the last service that their retired former minister will be helping with so it was a bit of a farewell service. Basically, he stepped up on a volunteer basis for a few months to work with a lay member who has been doing the preaching with the minister doing prayers, leading communion, and such. Oddly, we were there for his original farewell service when he retired after twenty years as their called minister.

The sermon was on gifts, and how the church has come together to offer various gifts as they sort out their situation around ministry. Well preached and had some things that I am mulling over.

Music was by the women and girls of the various choirs (Senior, Junior, and Mysterium, which is a teen/youth choir) and was quite good. A nice assortment of hymns, too, including a Carolyn McDade piece that was new to me (VU 710, IIRC).

It was communion Sunday and, to my delight, it was the familiar old trays and tiny glasses distributed to the pews method that was the norm back in my UCCan days, at least in my family church.

It would be fair to say that this service moved me in ways I did not expect. In fact, I was all set to return to the UU fellowship this week and changed my mind at the last minute. Now I am contemplating sticking with W-K for a while.

Last edited:

You just never know

Blip, blip, blip....
Reaction score
Decided to hibernate and attend the facebook feed from Hillhurst. A good service, but the annual meeting that followed was filled with a lot of people asking questions that made it drag on and on. Interesting times at Hillhurst as we are going to amalgamate with Living Spirit to have a second Hillhurst campus. I have ridden my bike past Living Spirit church in the past, but didn't see a bike rack so never bothered to try worshiping there.

KayTheCurler

Reaction score
I went out for a delightful walk with my partner and dog in a local park. I was thankful for the comfortable temperature for this time of year and the sun shining on my face. The dog wasn't as delighted as he usually is when we go for a walk as he had to stay on his leash - cars and other walkers with dogs. Very restorative way to spend an hour on a Sunday.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
It being Baden-Powell Sunday, we had a youth-focussed service with quite a few guests.

It was a beautiful day, and I would have liked to have enjoyed it; however, I worked 1:30-6:30, then I was at the store for another 1 1/2 hours for a staff meeting. WHIMS and charge accounts and store policy review. Not a very Sabbath-ish Sunday for me today.

Nancy

Reaction score
Nice day here. Good church service with about 55 people in attendance. Our little choir did an okay job at a new but simple song. Lunch after and some visiting. I was happy that a few people bought tickets to our Camp fundraising pasta dinner next week, but some found the price a little steep. I'm thinking we should raise at least $1000 though...less than I wanted, but better than nothing!

Seeler

Reaction score
Church yesterday was good. Our minister of the last 10 years retired at the end of 2019. Another Minister came out of retirement to fill and until we make a call. He is easy to listen to. I read the Gospel lesson from Matthew.
Following the worship part of this day, we had a delicious lunch of sandwiches and sweets. This was followed by our annual meeting which was rather long but covered some important matters. All in all I feel good about my church continuing to serve in this diverse community despite major the repairs required by a building over 100 years old.

mgagnonlv

Reaction score
We had two services this weekend. Our Sunday service was... as usual, with our French-speaking congregation of 30 people.

On Saturday, we had a special service for the celebration of Black History Month, with a homily by the Bishop of Vermont and an improvised choir. It turned out to be a well attended Eucharistic service (nearly 400 people) by people coming from all the corners of our Diocese.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
It has been a very long time since I have been in a church service that size. My family church sometimes managed it at the "special days" like Easter Sunday but never seen that many in church at once around here. Well, maybe the Christmas Eve service at Wesley-Knox but that's kind of exceptional as it is one of the more popular seasonal events in London.

PilgrimsProgress

Reaction score
I preached this Sunday. It seemed to go well, and afterwards a tough looking Maori from "across the ditch" came over to me and thanked me for the sermon, saying, "Inspirational". As he looked about thirty years my junior , I found it gratifying that he could relate to what I had to say........

Er, one senior's moment, Instead of saying it was two thousand years since Jesus walked amongst us -I said two centuries!!!o_O

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
Reaction score
I visited the Quaker meeting in Berlin last Sunday. It has been located in the eastern part of the city since before the second world war and surprisingly was tolerated during that time as well as during communism.
There were two english speaking visitors besides me, one from New Zealand and one from Britain and we had a pleasant conversation after worship. Germany has 260 Quakers ( actually including Austria as well). That’s a lot less % than the 2000 compared to the population of Canada.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
Looks like ours was the only congregation here that celebrated Baden-Powell Sunday.... however, we do provide facilities for a LOT of scouting/guiding groups, and our long-time, much-beloved Treasurer is a Leader, so I guess it's natural for us.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
My family church in Kitchener hosted, and still hosts I think, a large Scouting operation, the 24th Kitchener. I did Cubs and Scouts, by the time my youngest brother came along, Beavers had been added. So our BP Sundays were big events back then. Wesley-Knox does not host any Scout or related groups that I know of.

revjohn

Reaction score
NL's Lt. Governor was in attendance for the third week in a row.

She is a member of the congregation so that shouldn't be a surprise. Her Honour is a busy woman and we appreciate when she can get back home.

Apparently she is a fan of my preaching and as I browse through the Annual Report that is being reflected by others.

Which probably won't swell my head all that much.

It probably really can't get much fatter.

revjohn

Reaction score
Also of note on the 23rd was the presence of Qball deciding to join me in the pulpit for the great pastoral prayer.

Particularly our concluding of those prayers with the Lord's Prayer. Which up until Sunday past I had never attempted with a toddler giving me such a long kiss.

Fortunately, he missed my mouth entirely and I was able to keep pace. He did manage a good gooey lock on my left cheek and half my filtrum though.

I gathered from the tittering that those in attendance found it quite amusing.

I admit it just about broke me up mid-prayer.

mgagnonlv

Reaction score
I once preached part of a sermon with my daughter on my head. Now that she is 23, she would probably be horrified to hear this!

For those afraid of heights, I was standing in the central isle, not in the pulpit.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
I once preached part of a sermon with my daughter on my head. Now that she is 23, she would probably be horrified to hear this!

For those afraid of heights, I was standing in the central isle, not in the pulpit.
LOL. My son didn't want to come to church, let alone up to the front, even when he was little (he's turning 21 soon).