hmmmm…………..

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

KayTheCurler

Reaction score
An interesting phone call from a grandson recently. One snippet he mentioned was "I'm going to meet my boyfriend's family tonight".
Things have changed slowly durng my life around sexual matters. Hope I can respond in accepting ways to this delightful young man.

Reaction score
Just welcome him like you would any new partner or new close friend and don't make a big deal about it. That was always awkward for me if family made a big deal early on - regardless of being hetero...when I was younger I got embarrassed by one or two family members a few times, who made a big deal of my boyfriends, even some guy friends who weren't my boyfriends. Quelle embarrassing. Let them decide how things go.

That would be my advice for what it's worth. :)

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
Just welcome him like you would any new partner or new close friend and don't make a big deal about it. That was always awkward for me if family made a big deal early on - regardless of being hetero...when I was younger I got embarrassed by one or two family members a few times, who made a big deal of my boyfriends, even some guy friends who weren't my boyfriends. Quelle embarrassing. Let them decide how things go.

That would be my advice for what it's worth. :)
haha that's what family is for though, right? To embarrass!

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Thus excess familiarity can lead to contestation! And love may be a great divide thingy! The mother and father in your essence may not be agreeable to wit ...

KayTheCurler

Reaction score
Actually I am totally ok with meeting this pair together should the occasion arise. We live a LONG way apart so they could break up before we meet! My grandson has always had great friends so I'm sure this one will be a sweetie too.

Reaction score
haha that's what family is for though, right? To embarrass!
My dad was the most embarrassing without meaning to be...I would bring plutonic male friends over occasionally, and he’d say something like, “Nice to meet you. Thanks for looking after her.”...and shake the person’s hand. And I would just feel myself recoil and be like, “Looking after me...whaat?” And I was lucky if my friend just laughed about it and didn’t get scared off by that kind of pressure.

Another time I brought over a platonic male friend to my other parents’...I was actually in my late 20s, early thirties (I was always ‘young’/ immature in some respects, for my age, I admit) visiting my hometown (here) and a friend I knew from Vancouver was going back to school here to do his masters. He was not fully out as gay yet. I don’t think I knew but I suspected. Anyway, he came over to my mom and stepdad’s for Thanksgiving...and parents took a liking to him, probably hoped he would be my boyfriend, and so they were tripping all over themselves to be nice to him and telling him he could come by for dinner or call them for a ride anytime (they weren’t even that nice to me, sheesh)...at least he found that kind of flattering, and funny, considering I told him they don’t do that very often! It didn’t scare him from continuing to be my friend. He never took them up on their offers though, which they asked about...seemed disappointed about.

Last edited:

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
My dad was the most embarrassing without meaning to be...I would bring plutonic male friends over occasionally, and he’d say something like, “Nice to meet you. Thanks for looking after her.”...and shake the person’s hand. And I would just feel myself recoil and be like, “Looking after me...whaat?” And I was lucky if my friend just laughed about it and didn’t get scared off by that kind of pressure.

Another time I brought over a platonic male friend to my other parents’...I was actually in my late 20s, early thirties (I was always ‘young’/ immature in some respects, for my age, I admit) visiting my hometown (here) and a friend I knew from Vancouver was going back to school here to do his masters. He was not fully out as gay yet. I don’t think I knew but I suspected. Anyway, he came over to my mom and stepdad’s for Thanksgiving...and parents took a liking to him, probably hoped he would be my boyfriend, and so they were tripping all over themselves to be nice to him and telling him he could come by for dinner or call them for a ride anytime (they weren’t even that nice to me, sheesh)...at least he found that kind of flattering, and funny, considering I told him they don’t do that very often! It didn’t scare him from continuing to be my friend. He never took them up on their offers though, which they asked about...seemed disappointed about.
I had no sucking reflex when I was born.

Over dinner my Mom kept talking about how she spent so much effort teaching me how to suck. She clearly stated that "I taught Chemgal how to suck" a few times. My sister's face was beet red as she was attempting to still eat without choking.

Chemguy turned to my Mom and said Thank you very much ChemMom.
That was it, was sister was out of the room, I think her husband followed her with the excuse of checking to make sure she was ok.

My Mom never clued in.

Reaction score
I had no sucking reflex when I was born.

Over dinner my Mom kept talking about how she spent so much effort teaching me how to suck. She clearly stated that "I taught Chemgal how to suck" a few times. My sister's face was beet red as she was attempting to still eat without choking.

Chemguy turned to my Mom and said Thank you very much ChemMom.
That was it, was sister was out of the room, I think her husband followed her with the excuse of checking to make sure she was ok.

My Mom never clued in.
Omg. That takes the prize for embarrassing family dinner! That’s like a scene out of “Meet the Faulkers”.