Hey Knitters, about those selvedges

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

paradox3

Reaction score
Do you have a preferred method for making a chain selvedge? I used to do this years ago on pieces such as scarves and dishcloths. I had to look it up and refresh my memory and now I've got it again.

But I discovered there are 8 or 9 different ways to accomplish pretty much the same thing. I have tried a few of them and it is enough to make your head spin. Slip stitches are always involved, I think.

My method is to slip the first stitch purlwise and knit the last stitch of the row.

What about you? Do you do this?

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Reaction score
Yes - I've certainly done that one :) Or sometimes I did a slip on the last stitch I think. What are you knitting?

paradox3

Reaction score
Not doing anything at the moment, just practicing some of these techniques @Carolla.

My mom taught me to slip the first stitch knitwise when doing garter stitch. It produces a nice edge but it is not one of the chain selvages.

Northwind

Still knitting. Walking the path to health.
Reaction score
I haven't done anything special unless it has been part of the pattern. I also prefer to knit in the round so no selvedges.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
P3, are you on ravelry? If yes, friend my sister. scubytink, and ask her. She is a mechanical engineer/CPA crossed with a knitting gene.

paradox3

Reaction score
I haven't done anything special unless it has been part of the pattern. I also prefer to knit in the round so no selvedges.
I am a very basic knitter so my pieces always have edges. Mr Paradox jokes that I need to knit something that isn't a rectangle.
Right now I have mastered slip the first stitch purlwise and knit the last stitch.
Logic tells me I could slip the first stitch knitwise and purl the last stitch. Will let you know soon. :)

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Reaction score
I am a very basic knitter so my pieces always have edges. Mr Paradox jokes that I need to knit something that isn't a rectangle.
Right now I have mastered slip the first stitch purlwise and knit the last stitch.
Logic tells me I could slip the first stitch knitwise and purl the last stitch. Will let you know soon. :)
It just depends on which side of your work the yarn ends up after your final stitch - so you are correct. If you have purled the last stitch, then turn your work, the yarn will be on the BACK of your fabric. So you don't wrap the yarn over the edge of your fabric, just pick it up at the second stitch.

For some reason, which is a mystery to me, slipped stitches usually seem to be done purlwise - in patterns etc.) Maybe somebody knows the reason for this? Maybe so it doesn't twist the stitch?

paradox3

Reaction score
Logic tells me I could slip the first stitch knitwise and purl the last stitch. Will let you know soon
Hey knitters, I tried it and it works. Looks just the same. But it seems easier to control the tension on the chain the other way (i.e. slip first stitch purlwise and knit the last stitch.)