Has Jesus/God Ever Pissed You Off?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

There's a street church that has a food bank - I don't know if they have services these days, but maybe that's my pace. Except the theology - I think it's baptist but not hardline fundamentalist baptist. I'd almost join the Salvation Army - they at least do really good work.

Agreed. First United in Vancouver is "love on the ground" to me.
But they are one of many good organizations in the dtes. There's a strong network including self-advocacy (not self help but peer advocacy) groups - citizen run housing groups, anti-poverty groups. And the churches and secular groups work together in that neighbourhood - and it's a community - it's a very poor one materially, but it's also strong and dignified in many ways. Here the homeless don't have that kind of connection to neighbourhood and community themselves. I suppose they meet each other at the soup kitchens (though not now - they get take out) and shelters but it's just not a community where they are given their own "agency" rather than just treated like unruly children by everyone.

Last edited:
Lamentations 4:10 is a pretty terrible scripture ---there is no question about that ----

I agree with what revjohn says here -----Recognize that it was not what God wanted it is a result of people who made choices.

Just to add to what revjohn said here ----

What happened in the above scripture actually was listed under the Curses that God gave in Deuteronomy 28 verses 53-57 for choosing to disobey Him --so the people were warned and knew that their disobedience would bring this terrible consequence -----yet they chose their own path and desires over obeying God --and actually brought the Curse in effect in their own lives -----

We have free will to choose to Obey or Disobey God and God gives us over to our choice -----

But they are one of many good organizations in the dtes. There's a strong network including self-advocacy (not self help but peer advocacy) groups - citizen run housing groups, anti-poverty groups. And the churches and secular groups work together in that neighbourhood - and it's a community - it's a very poor one materially, but it's also strong and dignified in many ways. Here the homeless don't have that kind of connection to neighbourhood and community themselves. I suppose they meet each other at the soup kitchens (though not now - they get take out) and shelters but it's just not a community where they are given their own "agency" rather than just treated like unruly children by everyone.
There are no loitering signs everywhere, some threatening fines. I never saw that in Vancouver - or so few I never noticed.

Isn't that a real Christian dilemma though - to not feel "at home" anywhere? Somehow, I feel like that's just the way it is and how it's supposed to be for me. Doesn't mean I like it.

Lamentations 4:10 is a pretty terrible scripture ---there is no question about that ----

I agree with what revjohn says here -----Recognize that it was not what God wanted it is a result of people who made choices.

Just to add to what revjohn said here ----

What happened in the above scripture actually was listed under the Curses that God gave in Deuteronomy 28 verses 53-57 for choosing to disobey Him --so the people were warned and knew that their disobedience would bring this terrible consequence -----yet they chose their own path and desires over obeying God --and actually brought the Curse in effect in their own lives -----

We have free will to choose to Obey or Disobey God and God gives us over to our choice -----

Are folk flawed as human indications separate us from divine because perfect is difficult to maintain while surrounded by material dirt?

It flies ... creating clouds over the horizon ... nuclei for condensation of many things ...

What kind of religion could cover imperfections for the Christian perfections ... tis a hard one Mr Grinch!

In my youth I was deeply outraged regarding the injustice of our time. That injustice has not diminished as we go forward. It has increased and continues to increase. But I am no longer outraged. Rather, I am deeply sorrowful concerning the state of our world. We are on the threshold of catastrophe. This by the will of the ruling principalities and powers. All while the masses remain passively conformed to the structures shaped by those principalities and powers. Most sad is the conformity of the institutional Church to the designs of the State.
Rage cannot sustain and like power has the potential to corrupt.

Rage can be a catalyst launching us and all of our gifts, talents, and ministries into the pursuit of solutions.

Age-old afflictions are rarely conquered immediately. Often we plant seeds of trees that will provide shade and fruit for a future generation.

The institutional church is shaped by the society that surrounds it simply because the Christians that populate it are part of that wider society. Steering, in that constellation, is like navigating the Titanic through an icefield. Full speed ahead will not get one safely through and a more cautious speed is no guarantee either. For that, we'd need a ship built to be more responsive and better equipped in the event of a disaster.

Individual hearts can be transformed and that can move the institution. Eventually.

All efforts to break away and reform start well. Few if any fail to avoid becoming institutions in their own right.

I expect that is because to transform society one needs to be engaged with society. White gloves in mud puddles never stay white and never make the mud any cleaner.

Imagine the chaos in the butt end of Canaan ... Ba'aLs erupt ...

May be iconic or even a sign of something else!

Often we plant seeds of trees that will provide shade and fruit for a future generation.
Following in the way of Jesus we become sowers of seed. That seed falls into various kinds of ground. A percentage takes root and grows to maturity. All by the grace of God.

Is it not the responsibility of the gardener not only to sow the seed, but also to nurture it?”

Yes. The story of one who sows seed is metaphoric; a word picture showing the way in which our character influences all whom we meet along our way.

Last edited:
Yes. The story of one who sows seed is metaphoric; a word picture showing the way in which our character influences all whom we meet along our way.

Expect shoots ... often green! Ve Gees? Did you ever note the similarity of "v" "b" "d" and even "M" in some scripts? God loves a change up ... may be ambiguous when it hits ...

There's a street church that has a food bank - I don't know if they have services these days, but maybe that's my pace. Except the theology - I think it's baptist but not hardline fundamentalist baptist. I'd almost join the Salvation Army - they at least do really good work.
I was a member of Grace United in East Vancouver. When I joined the Church seemed to be dying. I suggested putting religion in the background and service to the poor in the foreground. Things changed when we followed this path. Grace is now called Trinity Grace. It is thriving in the feeding and support of more than one hundred regular guests. It also runs educational programs and weekly open mike concerts.

Back