Has Christmas Changed Since The Children Have Left Home?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I think for some people 'gift giving' is their "love language" - they love to do it, all year long. So for them, giving up the gifting portion is perhaps more difficult & some sort of substitution might be useful. Unfortunately I'm not one of those, and I get kind of grumpy about gifting sometimes - I like it when it's a spontaneous gesture on my initiative, but not so much when it feels forced - like at Xmas. It becomes a chore not a pleasure in some years.

I think for some people 'gift giving' is their "love language" - they love to do it, all year long. So for them, giving up the gifting portion is perhaps more difficult & some sort of substitution might be useful. Unfortunately I'm not one of those, and I get kind of grumpy about gifting sometimes - I like it when it's a spontaneous gesture on my initiative, but not so much when it feels forced - like at Xmas. It becomes a chore not a pleasure in some years.
At the same time we have to remember, it's still new for the grandchildren and that we had our time with the presents when we were young. I do know that for my adult children they would prefer a donation to a charity in their name, but for the grands they still like the gifts.

At the same time we have to remember, it's still new for the grandchildren and that we had our time with the presents when we were young. I do know that for my adult children they would prefer a donation to a charity in their name, but for the grands they still like the gifts.

It'll be grand-nieces and nephews for me before grandchildren, I imagine. On the Chinese side I already have one (my Chinese niece is 30-ish, married, and has a daughter). On the Canadian side, one nephew got married to a longtime girlfriend in 2018. But, yeah, grandchildren might get us buying gifts again.

My best Canadian friend is like that. We hang out and make short trips together a lot. She catches me looking at something a longer time or saying something and I will find it as a gift at a later time. She also gives gifts in between, because she loves giving the right gift to a person. She hasn’t been wrong in the last 20 years.

I never went overboard with my kids: PJs, underwear/socks, a book, a Santa gift, and the stuff in their stocking was consumable/educational/active (puzzles, puzzle books, jacks, little "kits"). These days it's usually a couple of sentimental little things (mailed to SSI, whenever I have an address) and some cash/gift cards for needs.

I have about three sewing jobs for junior and his girlfriend ( cushions for their outdoors furniture made from pallets, shortening her new pants, and adjusting grand dogs chicken costume to be bigger). Kids always need money, so each get $100, some small stocking stuffers and some chocolate. Grand dog gets a bone.

Looking back,

Christmas has always been changing for us.

About the only thing constant has been the family meal. We do our best to get together and sit to table together. With a number of in-laws now in the mix that is not always possible. We pull it off this year as Grace and Mark pop in for a week with Christmas sandwiched in the middle.

We are inviting some friends who are new to the Island and have no family here but each other.

We will host two, maybe three, Memorial International Students who cannot afford to fly home wherever it is for the meal as well. We've done that every year since we have been here.

Christmas morning will be spent in the Kitchen at George Street United helping to feed some of our neighbours who find themselves separated from family for one reason or another.

I will take Q into the woods on our property to find a tree. Some of the nursery needs thinning.

Back