Hallowe'en 2020

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Pronouns
She/Her/Her
Anyone doing anything for Hallowe'en this year?
If participating how are you keeping things safe?

The lake is doing their haunted house this year, but one needs to book ahead, there's 15 min increments. I hope to take my nephews but guest reservations come ~a week after residents. I have no plans on entering myself, but hanging outside while they do it if we can get a time slot.

I'm not planning on trying to manage the trick or treaters. I know many in the community are. I have ordered treats, I plan on doing some drop offs to some of he kids I know in the neighbourhood before the 31st. Many of those on the usual busy street for trick or treaters aka candy corn lane for the city are hesitant. It sounds like they would like to go ahead if it wouldn't be crowded - basically they want to do it for nearby kids and not 100s, some were even suggesting blocking off the street and checking residents cards but that won't happen. I want some decorations up, Chemguy is saying no. If I have to do it all myself there will be some, but minimal. I'm thinking about some signage, might borrow some chalk from a neighbour and write on the sidewalk if there's no snow in the forecast. I might string some lights right across the porch steps too, hopefully to make it clear from the street. I don't like the idea of kids going to a bunch of doors only to get no answer at most, I hope those who are handing out can make it obvious while still having lots of decorations out at many houses.

Given that I had two or three kids last year, I'll buy a small amount of tolerable candy and leave it outside in a bowl, I think.

It's always a nightmare for the dog anyway, and I no longer have anyone around who likes to carve pumpkins.

Given that I had two or three kids last year, I'll buy a small amount of tolerable candy and leave it outside in a bowl, I think.
That's actually against the recommended guidelines here. They don't want many kids touching 1 bowl.

That's actually against the recommended guidelines here. They don't want many kids touching 1 bowl.

Perfect. Light off and no candy. I will deliver big chocolate bars to the boys next door. I was thinking of the kids who were also faced with cancelled parties. Our church has always had a nice gentle Hallowe'en party, perfect for ages 4 to 11 or so. Boiled eggs in spaghetti is the worst of it, as I understand (this is an activity that falls under my team that other people always look after).

Oh, and maybe a hot wheels for the little boy across the road, two now, and an avid truck watcher (usually, the garbage and recycling trucks).

My Halloween of late has tended to be reading some favorite old school horror/ghost stories. M. R. James, Algernon Blackwood, and the like.

This year, I am actually on vacation the week before so might binge Netflix's The Haunting of Hill House or something like that.

I have to listen to this at least once....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My Halloween of late has tended to be reading some favorite old school horror/ghost stories. M. R. James, Algernon Blackwood, and the like.

This year, I am actually on vacation the week before so might binge Netflix's The Haunting of Hill House or something like that.
It's good. I'll be adding some Halloween themed tv/movies in too. Not sure what. I like Netflix's take on Sabrina although I felt a bit disappointed where they took it last season, it had so much potential with where it could have gone based on the first season, will have to check when the next season comes up and fingers crossed it's an improvement. Not sure of what's around for movies this month yet.

Bean from the Stix ... we get the kids on either side and nun other ... thus peace spreads in the macabre ... I rest there!

I doubt we'll get any little visitors. I'll keep some toonies handy just in case as they have proven to be the most popular treat we've come up with.

I have a pack of bubbly cans and are thinking of lining them up on the railing of my front porch, with a signto take the one you touch. Usually I get less than ten kids. Now, they might not want the none sugary stuff anyway.

Just posted this in one of the music threads, but it kind of fits here, too. I can't think of anything better to do to celebrate Hallowe'en than watch The Addams Family (the 60s TV show or the 90s movies, which are the versions I am familiar with). Or listen to a song inspired by them.

The entire movie, Rebecca, is on Youtube.

" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well, until the inevitable takedown notice. Though maybe it's one of those ones that has slipped into Public Domain, I doubt it.

I note the first comment mentions another remake on the way. Given that it is based on a classic Daphne Du Maurier novel, that does not surprise me, but I hadn't heard of it.

The entire movie, Rebecca, is on Youtube.

It's a great movie! It won the 1941 Oscar for best picture and won the Oscar for best cinematography.

Back