Green laws

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Petro Canada is advertising with creating charging stations to go across Canada.
I am just wondering about
provincial and National Parks.You can’t plug in at your campsite, if you spend a week there, electric might not be an option.

They could put chargers at the visitor's centres and similar. I think some of the US parks I've been to already do (not sure how far along ours are on this, but the National Park Service has solar and wind in place at some).

The Ford government cutting EV rebates has actually had a national impact. They have also cut back on some other measures, such as amending the building code to require 220V in new residential garages to facilitate installation of chargers.

Then Ford is as shocking as Drumpf in progress ... we shall return a 1000 years if you ask me and the Battle of Hasten-nins will start all over again as the dead thinkers awaken from their long slumbers ...

I spoke in another string of nin being equivalent to a silent grace ... the ineffable God thingy! There are some interesting connections as to slower bulls in Spanyard Yards ... lingering cows? That's the ephraim from a peculiar perspective ... of happier bulls ... Ferdinand?

Tis al related to toons if you can see it ... Gama runes?

Petro Canada is advertising with creating charging stations to go across Canada.
I am just wondering about
provincial and National Parks.You can’t plug in at your campsite, if you spend a week there, electric might not be an option.
I've looked at locations where the charging stations are. Chemguy travels for work where currently, he would end up outta charge, stranded.

I've looked at locations where the charging stations are. Chemguy travels for work where currently, he would end up outta charge, stranded.
Thats only petro canada though. There is an app that tells you where all the charging stations are.

Thats only petro canada though. There is an app that tells you where all the charging stations are.

I haven't checked, but I would bet the density of chargers is pretty low outside Calgary and Edmonton and maybe a few other larger communities in Alberta. Even in Ontario the 401 corridor is getting pretty good as is Ottawa but I imagine that it gets dicey as you head up into Central and Northern Ontario. You can go for hours without even a gas station in some areas.

Last winter when I was in Squamish, I was surprised to see a whole bank of chargers in a plaza parking lot - I think 8-10 of them - about half in use. Here in our local Loblaws plaza - there is but one charger. BC is obviously way ahead on this!

When we were in Iceland a number of years ago, hydrogen fueled vehicles were being produced & promoted - such fuel was a byproduct of other industry & was FREE!

There was an interesting article in the Toronto Star today re making public transit FREE to reduce emissions & make life more equitable for those who cannot afford vehicles. The article also made an interesting point about tickets - for parking incorrectly, one gets a $30 -$50 ticket; for not paying to ride transit one gets a fine of $125 - $425. How is that right? Governments have provided thousands of dollars in subsidies for e-vehicles - what about for those using transit? And what does it say about what/who we value?

Some cities & countries have made their transit systems free - in whole or in part, and shown dramatic increases in ridership. Calgary ,I think, has instituted a sliding scale for the monthly transit pass - such an excellent idea - and the volume of passes issued has increased amazingly. Toronto at least now has a 2 hour interrupted journey allowance - so for one fare people can get on & off the transit numerous times, which is great.

In my city seniors (only) can ride transit mid-day hours for just $1.00 - but not during rush hours, or evening, or weekends. When I think of people going to the local food bank, or social events such as the knitting group & women's group I volunteer with - an adult would pay almost $8.00 in transit to get to & from the free meal - makes you think doesn't it? I can drive there, and park for free on the street.

There was an interesting article in the Toronto Star today re making public transit FREE to reduce emissions & make life more equitable for those who cannot afford vehicles. The article also made an interesting point about tickets - for parking incorrectly, one gets a $30 -$50 ticket; for not paying to ride transit one gets a fine of $125 - $425. How is that right? Governments have provided thousands of dollars in subsidies for e-vehicles - what about for those using transit? And what does it say about what/who we value?

Some cities & countries have made their transit systems free - in whole or in part, and shown dramatic increases in ridership. Calgary ,I think, has instituted a sliding scale for the monthly transit pass - such an excellent idea - and the volume of passes issued has increased amazingly. Toronto at least now has a 2 hour interrupted journey allowance - so for one fare people can get on & off the transit numerous times, which is great.

In my city seniors (only) can ride transit mid-day hours for just $1.00 - but not during rush hours, or evening, or weekends. When I think of people going to the local food bank, or social events such as the knitting group & women's group I volunteer with - an adult would pay almost $8.00 in transit to get to & from the free meal - makes you think doesn't it? I can drive there, and park for free on the street.

Equity is a complex compound idea like a well-read hoerst!

There was an interesting article in the Toronto Star today re making public transit FREE to reduce emissions & make life more equitable for those who cannot afford vehicles.

There's musing about that here, but I think it's just seniors/students/people on fixed incomes.

In other, not good, transit news, Ontario is pulling out of Hamilton's LRT project. Given the debacle in Ottawa, I can't blame them for being cautious, even skeptical, but this goes too far, IMHO:

that's not good to hear Mendalla. We have a BIG LRT project about to get underway here ... from South Mississauga all the way to Brampton - right up Hurontario (hiway #10) - a huge north south improvement. Said to be fully funded - but now hopefully the prov will not also pull out,.

that's not good to hear Mendalla. We have a BIG LRT project about to get underway here ... from South Mississauga all the way to Brampton - right up Hurontario (hiway #10) - a huge north south improvement. Said to be fully funded - but now hopefully the prov will not also pull out,.

We didn't even wait for the province to pull out. Our BRT (not even LRT) got carved up after the last municipal election over some (to my eye) fairly self-interested political bulls**t, mostly about how it would mean fewer people changing buses downtown and therefore not spontaneously going shopping. If downtown merchants have to rely on that to get business, they deserve to go down.

You make several excellent points Carolla. The unjust system for fines is really telling about how we punish low income people (who tend to not have a voice in the making of decisions. )

When I was a child in London milk and bread were delivered door to door using electric carts. I think the same system is still being used. Increasing numbers of people have returned to deliveries instead of using the store. Seniors were issued with a free pass for the buses and got cheaper rates on underground trains outside of the rush hours. When I lived in Saskatoon a bus ticket got you anywhere in the city, regardless of the need to change buses along the way. You asked for a Transfer ticket and handed it in on the next bus.

When I lived in Saskatoon a bus ticket got you anywhere in the city, regardless of the need to change buses along the way. You asked for a Transfer ticket and handed it in on the next bus.

That's how most systems work in Ontario. I've used the systems in Kitchener, London, and Hamilton and they all worked that way. The problem in London is that there is such a patchwork of routes, I'd have to take a minimum of 3 buses (ie. transfer at least twice) to get to work even though my office is on a major East-West route. BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) was supposed to fix that by creating express routes with dedicated lanes and then use the other routes to feed them.

Add in the meds from the perfume, dander, 3rd hand smoke it becomes really unaffordable.

The Canadian Tire Station in Deep River has a few charging stations.\ i saw some charging stations on the street in either Ottawa or Montreal recently. They had signs indicating the spots were for electric vehicles only. The Canadian Tire stations are a long way from the entrance to ths store.

Back