Great Awakening Currently Erupting at Asbury University

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

College students at Asbury University continue to be inexplicably on fire for God, electrified by the powerful sense of God's presence in chapel worship continuing 24 hours daily, as the masses flock to the university from across American to bask in God's presence:

A far more powerful awakening occurred among young people in the Hebrides from 1949-54. Almost no young people attended church there. So the Smith sisters, both handicapped octogenarians, challenged church elders to pray for a great awakening all night one day a week, agreeing to join them. These prayer vigils suddenly changed the atmosphere. 500 young people at a dance suddenly felt convicted by the Holy Spirit and fled to a nearby church where Scottish minister, Duncan Campbell had just finished preaching and asked for help so that they could get right with God. Simultaneously, another huge crowd of young people gathered in front of the police station because they had heard that the police chief was a godly man and wanted spiritual help from him. What they didn't realize is that the police station was right across the street from the elderly Smith sisters' house, where they had been praying for hours for revival. The revival continued for 5 years, with the people at times staying in churches all night in because they couldn't get enought of the atmosphere saturated with God's sweet presence!

In my town, a local minister's blind father had been Duncan Campbell's prayer partner for a long time in the lead-up to this great awakening. I was struck by the fact that he was blind because one of the 2 octogenarian Smith sisters was also blind. God blesses those who make the most of their spiritual abilities, despite their handicaps.

Hear participating minister Duncan Campbell's eyewitness description of how this revival unfolded:

Last edited:
Some deny old stuff and yet others use it threateningly so folk will not learn anything ... thus the eternal stewing as stupid does ... when it hangs about ...

Prepare to have a book, or tome thrown at yah ... one of my teachers in HS choose those hard erasures to toss at the unalert ... knock offs? Stories are best about hard-shells, ammonites and nebulous nematode ... as you've often been tode about ... un toad mysteries ... essence of the quies of wisdom ... for those not desiring to know ... it wends!

In short what can you tell a toxic authority ... and what is more toxic than human given our composition? There are even azides in nere ...

The Asbury University revival spreads to LSU, Texas A and M, and Indiana Wesleyan Universities:

The college revival spreads to Lee University and other colleges:

The revival has now spread to Cedarville and Samford Universities:

Other than gatherings of young people, what is being achieved?
Well, young people are jumping out the windows to escape what they perceived as the dead piety of UCCan and the UMC, my denomination.
By contrast, in a still expanding revival thousands of young lives are being transformed by unexpected ecstatic experiences 24/7 of the sweet loving presence of God in many universities, some of which are huge and elite. Local churches there will be thrilled to have new young adults with hearts on fire to serve God!

Well, young people are jumping out the windows to escape what they perceived as the dead piety of UCCan and the UMC, my denomination.
By contrast, in a still expanding revival thousands of young lives are being transformed by unexpected ecstatic experiences 24/7 of the sweet loving presence of God in many universities, some of which are huge and elite. Local churches there will be thrilled to have new young adults with hearts on fire to serve God!
I am curious about where you are getting your information about young people jumping out the windows to escape UCCan. There have not been very many in the church for a few decades to jump out of windows. The churches with young people serm to be holding on to them. Naked Faith in Calgary has been drawing in young people with no church connection. The YaYA ministry in Calgary is connecting with young adults. I would not describe the UCCan as having dead piety. Piety is not a big thing in the UCCan, so hard to claim it has dead piety, whatever that is. There are lots of problems and deficiencies, but many are working diligently in many ways including spiritual development to serve better as followers of Jesus. Most of them are too focused on moving forward to worry about off target comments from the peanut gallery.

Read any site on UCCan decline over the decades, especially among young people. Also, the lack of UCCan young people is a constant concern of WC2 posters over the years. This is a mainline church problem, not just a UCCan problem. Of course there are exceptions that prove the rule.
ss

We have an aging congregation with a face towards young people. New youth leader, some middle aged young families. Reputation as a community hub, where you'd go to have your children baptized. Big Scouting/Guiding presence.

I think that the Spirit, as I know her, is quiet. Present in our day to day lives, our day to day achievements, failures, joys, and sorrows.

These awakenings/tent revival things strike me as personally emotional, coercive, group hysteria events. I'm sure others view them more favorably. I happen to have an original lithograph on my wall by a renowned Canadian artist called "Tent Revival". The number 666 appears...

This quote from the Broadview website stresses that the steep UCCan decline over the decades, especially among young people, is now accelerating:

"The hope is to turn around a trend of steep decline. According to data released on Oct. 26, the latest census shows that United Church affiliation, at 3.3 percent of the Canadian population in 2021, has dropped sharply in the last decade, down from 6.2 percent in 2011. That means that 1.2 million people claimed United Church affiliation last year, compared to roughly two million people in 2011.
“We’ve never seen it as stark as these numbers have put it,” Blair said."

I wonder if social justice will arise in popularity among youth. That's really the focus of United Church spirituality - that we can celebrate godde's presence around all of us, I think.

What is authentic Christianity ... is its vacant state in a judgmental church a reason for a thin body?

May be a stripped down essence incarnating as a nebulae ... vaporous in the night as abandoned sol ... folk are driven away from the thinking part where intelligence is processed ... a difficult process that made the Job like a nut case ... work ethic? Take time in the wilderness, beach, steppe or san stone ... where it is quiet! So writ ...

Yes we are all aware of the declining membership in mainline denominations. I have been hearing that evangelical denominations are starting to experience similar decline. They are just coming to it a decade or so later.

A UCCan minister mentioned this to me.

So did a member of a nearby Pentecostal Church. I had a long talk a few years ago with a young man who was going around my neighborhood distributing flyers and talking to people.

Interestingly Ashbury University has had several spontaneous revival events in its history.

Back