Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Was listening to a podcast interview with Monica Coleman. While she currently teaches Africana Studies at the University of Delaware, Coleman's doctorate is in theology and she taught at Claremont School of Theology, the process theology hotbed, for a long time. She specializes in process and in womanist theology. I first came across her via theology podcaster Tripp Fuller, who did his doctorate at Claremont and had her on his main show, Homebrewed Christianity, as a guest from time to time. Today's interview was not with Tripp, but with Mason Mennenga on his show, A People's Theology (which I think I may like better than Homebrewed Christianity but the jury is still out).

Anyhow, during the interview, Coleman talked a bit about her interest in science fiction, especially what we now call Afro-Futurism (s-f written by Africans or in the African diaspora, often by women). One of the seminal figures in that movement, predating the term by decades, was Octavia E. Butler. And Coleman quoted a bit from Butler that is a near perfect summary of process, even though she concedes that she can find no evidence Butler knew anything about process theology.

Octavia E. Butler said:
"All that you touch you Change. All that you Change Changes you.
 The only lasting truth
 is Change. God 
Is Change."

We often say things like "God is Love", but "God is Change" isn't something you hear often. I don't think I have even heard it from other process theologians, even though it fits perfectly with the basic premise of process theology.

So what do you think? Does "God is Change" work for you? Should God be "Change" or should God be the unchanging bedrock that stands apart from the fluid, changing world (as God is often portrayed in more traditional theologies)?

jimkenney12

Fits with evolutionary theology. Seeing God does not seem to care for stagnation, that everything changes, whether slowly or quickly, I am annoyed by preservationist environmentalists. Fits with Teilhard de Chardin's view of an evolving creation.

Luce NDs

Thus fundamental agitation is required in the process of cosmological humor ... it stirs!

Sometimes gently wakes the dead --- Steven Daedalus?