Gaslighting

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Its 4 horsemen only as they go round ... a grand stir! Perfectly not understood so we can experience the effect of knowing nothing ... as those we push to the 4 fronts ... squared off vision that can multiply ... encourages the H-8! few see it as equivocal ... a deux? And a good dae to you folk ...

So the term "gaslighting" is the Word of the year 2022.

That speaks to bigger forces in the world such as we see in some political circles or medical circles. It also suggests it's a word people throw out rather casually.

So the term "gaslighting" is the Word of the year 2022.

That speaks to bigger forces in the world such as we see in some political circles or medical circles. It also suggests it's a word people throw out rather casually.

The lie in has become a norm ...

So normal many have lost ability to identify it .. even those proposing the function! So that liars do not know that they are liars and insnaity does not know it insane ... until you get beyond the incident ... it does have momentum!

Once depositied as arch form it becomes stuck ... mortals see it only from the Arch Aye ... other perspecives may assist! Use your abstract ...

Last edited:
More people have learned a word that helps them understand how they are being mistreated with words.
And sometimes misapplying it, mistreating other people with that word in doing so. It is good that the word is out there, it is not good that a certain segment are weaponizing it.

And sometimes misapplying it, mistreating other people with that word in doing so. It is good that the word is out there, it is not good that a certain segment are weaponizing it.

This is my view. I like that you labeled it mistreating other people with it. Anytime we use that word we need to be mindful about how we're using it. I'm also thinking of the notion that when I point my finger at you, three are pointing back at me. I need to look at my own behaviour if I'm using that word as a weapon. Too many people start throwing out labels and insults in "discussions". When we use a label in that way we've shown our argument is weak.

I need to make sure I understand what gas lighting is. I believe it means using lies or misinformation or claims to deny what another person says or claims to silence or demean or control them. So when mayor Jim Watson and the Ottawa city manager used lies to deny concerns by city counsellors and question their credibility, were they gas lighting city council?

I need to make sure I understand what gas lighting is. I believe it means using lies or misinformation or claims to deny what another person says or claims to silence or demean or control them. So when mayor Jim Watson and the Ottawa city manager used lies to deny concerns by city counsellors and question their credibility, were they gas lighting city council?
No, gaslighting in its purest form is trying to convince someone that they are, in old terminology, crazy and that what they think is real is really not real by using lies and misinformation. It comes from Gaslight, an old thriller where a husband tries to convince his wife that she is mentally ill as part of a plot to steal her inheritance or something like that.

No, gaslighting in its purest form is trying to convince someone that they are, in old terminology, crazy and that what they think is real is really not real by using lies and misinformation. It comes from Gaslight, an old thriller where a husband tries to convince his wife that she is mentally ill as part of a plot to steal her inheritance or something like that.

But since then it has evolved. Not sure if I said it here but I have said it with the covid vaccine and menstrual cycles. Women brought up side effects. For quite a while it was brushed off as stress or the relief there of from having some protection to covid.
It's a bit loose usage of the term but I think that was gaslighting a fairly large segment of the population. There is now evidence it wasn't just emotional stress that caused that effect.

But since then it has evolved. Not sure if I said it here but I have said it with the covid vaccine and menstrual cycles. Women brought up side effects. For quite a while it was brushed off as stress or the relief there of from having some protection to covid.
It's a bit loose usage of the term but I think that was gaslighting a fairly large segment of the population. There is now evidence it wasn't just emotional stress that caused that effect.
It kind of fits. It is still focussing on their mental health being the cause rather than something "real" and physical. I think the main thing is that it has to be more than using lies and misinformation to deceive or mislead. It is specifically using lies and misinformation to make people question their own understanding of their reality.

It kind of fits. It is still focussing on their mental health being the cause rather than something "real" and physical. I think the main thing is that it has to be more than using lies and misinformation to deceive or mislead. It is specifically using lies and misinformation to make people question their own understanding of their reality.

The article addresses the idea that gaslighting can be used in a medical context. It would involve not taking reported symptoms seriously and suggesting they are in your head.

As I'm typing this I'm thinking there needs to be a power dynamic in the relationship. The original gaslighter had power over his wife. A physician or health professional has more power than a patient in many cases. Domestic abuse involves power dynamics. Anyone have thoughts on this?

The article addresses the idea that gaslighting can be used in a medical context. It would involve not taking reported symptoms seriously and suggesting they are in your head.

As I'm typing this I'm thinking there needs to be a power dynamic in the relationship. The original gaslighter had power over his wife. A physician or health professional has more power than a patient in many cases. Domestic abuse involves power dynamics. Anyone have thoughts on this?
I think that is quite on the money. A power relationship like that is what let's someone gaslight another person. A looney conspiracy nut can't really gaslight me about my symptoms but my own doctor can.

Hush, hush Sweet Charlotte too. No?

Jim Watson made the councillors not trusting the information provided look like they were crazy for distrusting the reports. He had power over them because he had the ongoing support of a majority of the councillors along with his role.

Could it be somebody or dominant group who assumes the entitlement in power dynamics - like on a broader scale - colonial attitudes or systemically entrenched attitudes toward a person or group whose experiences are dismissed or not believed, because that attitude is permissible and encouraged?

Last edited:
Back