Gardening Thread

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
I'm still clueless, so hopefully I can get some help along the way. I also just like to hear what everyone else is doing! Share pictures too!

My goof for today - I was confused about a squash seedling, it was way off from where I had planted it. I let the weeds grow just in case. Today, as there was still no sign of anything where I thought it should be, I had planned to weed and try to transplant the seedling since it's in my walking path.

While pulling out weeds, I scrapped a seedling underneath the dirt with my trowel. Oops! I guess the 'seedling' I was going to transplant was a weed! lol Any hope that the squash will live after scraping it?

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
I've also found 2 snails, they are tiny not even a cm long. They are white with a pointy shell. Do you think these will be a problem? I didn't realize snails would be an issue, I thought around here they mainly stuck to ponds!

Lastpointe

Reaction score
Squash are pretty hardy. Give it time. I put sticks or markers in the ground where I plant but chipmunks and squirrels will dig things up.

Most bugs are ok. A few snails won't matter. But when you walk your garden daily you get used to what should be there and what shouldn't. Bug infestations can arrive overnight. Insecticide soap is a god thing to have on hand. Or a spray bottle and make your own soap spray with dove. Then spray for things like aphids, which can quickly destroy your plants. Other larger bugs like slugs, or potatoe beetles just pick up and squish.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
Thanks Lastpoint! I guess I should mention I'm quite sure both snails were dead too. Whether they are years old, or I have some live ones in there I don't know. Slugs are another thing that would surprise me, but I guess I'll find out :)

Do you just dissolve a bit of soap in water for the spray? I use some stuff that's pretty much edible I might just use some old slivers of that if it doesn't matter.

Beloved

Reaction score
I've been puttering in my flower garden lots these last weeks. I think I've pulled a few plants that I thought were weeds :). Several perennials have come up and bloomed already (tulips, hyacinth, daffodils, lily of the valley), and other perennials are up but just budding (painted daisy). Some have just popped up through the ground (lilies, tickseed, lupins, astilbe, and a few others). I've planted annuals in amongst the perennials to have blooms throughout the summer - marigolds, petunias, coleus, dianthus, salvia, morning glory, lavitaria, and sweet peas, and I've thrown a few poppy seeds around. I love going up to the garden to see what is sprouting each day.

Has anyone got hostas in their flower gardens? I have a few plants and I am wondering if they will try and overtake the garden?

Pinga

Room for All
Reaction score
Hostas are my favourite, beloved.

I find that they grow and clump lovely. Easy to manage. Easy to split.

Lastpointe

Reaction score
Your garden sounds lovely beloved.

Hostas are good for shady sots where others won't grow. They can get big but don't really take over. Easy to dig up and cut in half.

But watch out for slugs. They love hostas

Beloved

Reaction score
I didn't know that about slugs and hostas.

Supposed to be a nice, warmer sunny day here today, so hoping more of them seeds start sprouting.

Jae

Reaction score
My family's just coming home from a $250 shopping spree at Rona. We bought a new lawn trimmer - five bags of soil - pruning shears - a barbecue scrub brush - and a $70 garden hose. Now personally - I have a brown thumb. My wife - on the other hand - is a great gardener.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
All the yard stuff certainly isn't cheap!

I think the seedling I mentioned earlier is dead. It's now exposed and very orange. I'll leave it for now though, maybe the one from the second seed is right behind it.

Do I have to thin the squash plants when both come up in the same location?

The weeds are taking over for now, I was in and out a few times today. I was going to use newspaper as now I know where most of the plants are, but Chemguy forgot and recycled it - next week I guess. It's too hot and after how I did yesterday I'm a bit concerned about triggering swelling.

Lastpointe

Reaction score
If your squash seeds come up together you could remove one but it is easier to wait till they are a bit bigger and snip one off at the base. If you try to pull one out you might pull up both.

I have used newspapers to help with weeds but I honestly find it a pain to do. The weeds still come up . If you go out daily, for twenty minutes with a cultivator ( on e of those short three prong things) and pull them out it keeps them at bay and if you do it every couple of days it becomes not as big a chore.

Picked my first garlic scapes yesterday. Stirred fried them up with fresh picked asparagus.

Oddly it has been so cold here that things like spinach, which like it cold but not as cold as it has been, are kind of limping along.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
I have used newspapers to help with weeds but I honestly find it a pain to do. The weeds still come up . If you go out daily, for twenty minutes with a cultivator ( on e of those short three prong things) and pull them out it keeps them at bay and if you do it every couple of days it becomes not as big a chore.
That makes it sound more promising then, as I have been doing that. The issue is the areas where the seedlings haven't come up I didn't touch for a long time. It's taking me 20 mintues just to get through a small area. I guess I'll just keep up with what's already been done, and slowly get to those other areas.

Waterfall

Reaction score
That makes it sound more promising then, as I have been doing that. The issue is the areas where the seedlings haven't come up I didn't touch for a long time. It's taking me 20 mintues just to get through a small area. I guess I'll just keep up with what's already been done, and slowly get to those other areas.
I've used plastic garbage bags in a pinch when I don't buy the usual stuff from the garden store.

I just planted some pink hydrangeas and I should see them blooming soon, Just starting to form the buds. I find they grow best in an area with some shade and sun. When I do plant something it's usually perennials.

I also planted some low lying purple geraniums, but I threw out the name tag and can't remember what they're called.

They look like this:

http://imavex.vo.llnwd.net/o18/clients/urbanfarm/images/Perennial_Plants/Geranium-Rozanne-Plant.jpg

Sedums and Hosta's are a staple in my gardens. Low maitenence and I'm all about that! Also different grasses.

Last edited:

Beloved

Reaction score
Saw my first wild rose bloom yesterday . . . There will be many many more over the next weeks. Will have to get my camera out!

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
I need to dig up a camera to take some pictures. I have an old one around somewhere, I should go searching for it so it's more available. Chemguy takes his with him, and that's what I've been using.

One type of squash is looking good, although no flowers, the vines are just starting. Looking at the leaves, I think these are the spaghetti, although it will be easier to tell if I ever get any fruit! I have a total of 3 of the others, didn't have to thin any. They are small, I doubt I'll yield much.

Potatoes have been hilled up. The reds have all flowered. None of the yukon have, although they are a bit taller than the reds now. I've had some type of insect on them, at first I assumed potato beetle, but then I searched, not even close. I came across an image of a squash bug, which looks a lot closer, but I haven't seen a single one on the squash plants.

If I do get some good looking squash, I'm thinking about maybe saving the seeds and seeing if I get a hybrid - assuming both types have flowers at the same time.

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Reaction score
@Beloved - have you ever made rose hip syrup? We had some in NFLD and it was lovely on some blintzes for breakfast. I was just looking at a recipe - I think we'll try some this fall - we have lots of roses growing in parks nearby.

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Reaction score
seems your potatoes are right on schedule @ChemGal - we passed some large fields blooming beautifully when we were driving in the countryside yesterday.

My basil - woe is me - I planted the large leaf type this year & it seems to have developed mildew - next year, back to the small leaf variety! I LOVE basil & sad that likely this year's crop will not be a success. Oh well - that's gardening!!

Beloved

Reaction score
I've never tried making anything with the rosehip, Carolla. I've heard of people making rose hip tea.

My potatoes have just started blooming, looking forward to fresh potatoes later in August.

ChemGal

One with keen eye
Reaction score
Carolla, it seems to be possible to buy herb plants year round. Can you get the basil you had before?

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Reaction score
perhaps ChemGal - many places seem sold out around here, but I will have to go looking - I do LOVE basil & it's so great to just nip out to the deck for a few fresh stalks!