From whence the meaning?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

With a cross always that transcendent urge that someone has to pay so the individual and isolated doesn't ... as autocratic, or even a bit autistic in character.

Our society appears to be responsible for this assumption that mental health is caused by isolation rather than societal avarice ... a complex item of discussion that will also be denied ... denial and omission of virtue being a familia trend ... popular even in the corruption of power!

We are so screwed up by idealizing love alone ...

Not just RC's.. My childhood Church of England congregation had a crucifix with a body on it.
Wow, I didnt realize they did that. My dad was an anglican priest and I never seen it in any of the churches he ministered to. Learn something new everyday.

The Anglican Church in my neighborhood has the stations of the cross in its sanctuary. Surprised me to see this.

But we cannot assume it either. It's a controversial, speculative idea arising from mathematics, not observation, that may not even be empirically provable. It's also a bit of a "god of the gaps" theory to explain things current theories cannot. It could go away as easily as the idea of God creating the universe 6000ish years ago if we explain the gaps it fills. If we can explain things without a multiverse, we are obligated to do so unless observations show us the existence of one. So, I would argue Pavlos is quite correct. As far as we can empirically prove, there is one universe and only one planet in it with sapient life. All else is speculation at this point.
All that is within the dominant worldview you and i currently inhabit
that of Materialism-Naturalism
And look at how the world is falling apart under that worldview
White Supremacy and Systemic Racism and Colonislism thrive under this paradigm -- the stuff we are trying to stop

Animism is a better fit and is better to be in right relations. But it is being quite successfully oppressed by the above.

I hope we can figure this out

And be more in right relations with reality

Be willing to give up certain things for the greater good

It is a wide and wooly and wonderful world out there

Peace to you and hold those you care for close

Wow, I didnt realize they did that. My dad was an anglican priest and I never seen it in any of the churches he ministered to. Learn something new everyday.

The Anglican Church in my neighborhood has the stations of the cross in its sanctuary. Surprised me to see this.

Let's face it, the Anglicans did not start the same way as the Reformed and other related Protestant movements. They were really just a local church wanting more local control. When Henry VIII first started the Church of England, all he changed was who the bishops report to (switched from the Pope to the English monarch). Otherwise, the early CoE kept most of the trappings of the Roman church at beginning, with changes happening as they became more aligned with the various reform movements. And High Church Anglicans still keep to all lot of that today as far as I know. So, yeah, traditional crucifixes and the stations and all that are technically part of the Anglican tradition.

Let's face it, the Anglicans did not start the same way as the Reformed and other related Protestant movements. They were really just a local church wanting more local control. When Henry VIII first started the Church of England, all he changed was who the bishops report to (switched from the Pope to the English monarch). Otherwise, the early CoE kept most of the trappings of the Roman church at beginning, with changes happening as they became more aligned with the various reform movements. And High Church Anglicans still keep to all lot of that today as far as I know. So, yeah, traditional crucifixes and the stations and all that are technically part of the Anglican tradition.
Growing up I didnt really care for all the "pomp and circumstance".

I have rarely been to RC or Anglican services, just mainline Protestant ones like UCCan and Lutheran (Dad switched to the ELCIC after he remarried), but even some of those could be a bit much, even if I did inherit Dad's fondness for church music. One of the delights of being a worship leader in UU'ism for me was working with a looser, simpler liturgy that was still rooted enough in the Protestant liturgical tradition that I could relate to it from my UCCan upbringing.

Roman Catholics sometijes check with High Anglicans about proper protocols for some liturgies.

Over the years there have been people who ask if we would where a gallows on a chain around our neck. Or recently I have seen a post about a cross showing a lethal injection table. The question has been why an instrument of execution (which many of us consider judicial murder ) at all.

In the book Saving PAradise (see my notes about reading it here) the suggestion is made that the centrality of the cross as THE symbol of Christianity took many centuries to happen. And that it happened as the church became more connected to conquest and conflict.
Yes, wasn’t the symbol of the early Christians the fish?

Yes, wasn’t the symbol of the early Christians the fish?
Interesting thing
Take the tail of the fish
and extend those lines
you will find you will end up with two circles
overlapping
a hidden meaning behind Christianity?
Where the union is Earth?
And each circle represents...
:3

The name for the fish is also an acrostic :3

We moderns aren't that different from back then
We just have more toys

EDIT: also look at the United Church's symbol. Vescis Picis. Similar idea, but vertical.
Its all over the place

Last edited:
Pavlos Maros,

How do my words threaten you? No matter what they are, what I say, you will still be able to make your money, still enjoy a pint or 30 with friends, still laugh, love, cry when someone you love passes on...

Peace to you. And hold those you care for close to you.
That is one hell of a leap. What in my statement gave you the impression, that I felt threatened. Peace to you too.

I have to make an effort to not assume that over dressed priests are merely parading their supposed importance. Also to not giggle at what seems pretentiousness. We had one near my home who seemed obsessed by his range of fancy robes. At one point the entire choir were told to take their plain robes home with them to make room in the closet for his new ones!

What about those robes our clergy wear?

I have seen United Church ministers wearing either plain albs or Genevan gowns. And I have seen another gown that really isn't either one of these.

More often than not our ministers seem to be in regular garb these days.

Good Friday I saw a minister wearing something that looked like a priest's cassock. I don't get it.

Our rev wears her robes when it looks necessary, like good friday and easter sunday, and the odd other occasion, like if we have an important guest who might be impressed. Sometimes she'll wear a stole over her street clothes. The big guy isn't impressed with her liturgical fashion sense, but it agrees with mine.

Sometimes she'll wear a stole over her street clothes.
That tends to be the style for most UU ministers I have known. If they wear gowns/robes at all, it is a "special occasions" thing (weddings, funerals, namings, etc.). I imagine that in some of the bigger or more Christian-leaning UU churches, you might get something more traditionally liturgical.

Back