Fires in Australia

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Pilgrim, because of the likeliness of bushfires, do people build and plant their gardens differently? Or is there bylaws to prevent the spread of fires/ insurances that require a certain distance of bush/ trees from the house?

Pilgrim, because of the likeliness of bushfires, do people build and plant their gardens differently? Or is there bylaws to prevent the spread of fires/ insurances that require a certain distance of bush/ trees from the house?
There is something about gum trees (eucalyptus) that are part of an Aussie's soul - we love them.....
They provide much needed shade, attract birds and the smell is almost divine. (I remember visiting Mykanos where -because of a similar climate - they had imported gum tees. The familiar scent brought tears to my eyes).
BUT, because of the oil, in a bushfire they burn easily. Also, because they have shallow roots, they fall down in both floods and fires.
Up until now, folks love having trees in their yards -but now the wise are removing them if they're close enough for the leaves to build up in roof gutters.
Insurance companies are getting more strict in their conditions -and their premiums more expensive. And there are some places that are uninsurable - often where the folk are the poorest.......

That's a tragic choice to have to make. Trees shading a house also keep it cooler, yes?

Gum trees grow in Mexico, as well. My ex-sister-in-law discovered last winter, after a visit to a local plantation, that she is frighteningly allergic to eucalyptus.

I first learned about this sort of thing when visiting the southwest US - New Mexico I think it was. The landscaping near the houses was quite different - no trees nearby at all, no shrubs, some cactus, stones & sand around the house for quite a wide distance - not even much grass or turf - because as it dries out it is a vector for fires. It was interesting to talk with our hosts about that - it had never occurred to me, but of course made perfect sense.

There is an interest in eucalyptus in the Maritimes as Fisherman's Friends ... and unseen pseudonym ... just for offsetting hacking and coughs ...

Did you know they contain active ingredients that affect opioid receptors? Sometimes marketed in the parallel substance Sudafed? Excuse the unintentional marketing ... psychic business of plugging on through? There is a rumour an earlier version Benadryl and related Benes should be unmarketed due to side effects ... why some animals have eyes in the side of their head ... isn't that slick marketing as oily as coco? There's an article in the CBC NU's this AM on the NET ... if you connect!

Albeit keep it alien as real folk don;t wish to have IT gnue 'n! It gnostic science on odorous trees ... f only we knew!

@PilgrimsProgress, are gum trees the same as eucalyptus? I have to admit I never knew where eucalyptus cocmes from. I was watching Instant Hotel on Netflix and it was very interesting to see the different areas in Australia and the vegetation. It would be nice to learn more about Australia if you would like to start a thread.

Conifers have the peculiar quality of producing Ephrine ... thus signs in the pines of things deep below ... the understanding of Alaska and 40 Below ... Legends in the pool ...???? Some say it is porky.

A 51 years old man was arrested for setting a fire in a total fire ban area. (A total fire ban means you can't even have a barbecue on your deck - it's that serious).

:rolleyes: His crazy reason?
He wanted to protect his marihuana crop - as he might need some cash if he lost everything else! Naturally, his "control fire" got seriously out of control and caused lots of damage.
Only in Australia......

I don't think Canada ever shipped people to Australia. In fact, it wouldn't surprise to find we were another receiver of the UK's riff-raff.

This could be a time item ... that takes a long while to cinque in for those devoid of strange codes! Legendary satyr?

Many of the people sent to Australia by the Brits were minor criminals being punished for stealing food or picking pockets to buy food. Basically, they were the disadvantaged poor folk from city slums. Of course there were also genuine violent bad guys too!

So far, so good -the national radio keeps us up to date in fire season.......
Seems the strong winds will come in about four hours time.
It's important not to leave your home at the last minute -as, in the bush, there's often just one road in and out. In the past, that's what happened, and many lost their lives in their vehicles.

The rule now is, if you decide to leave -leave early, taking your meds, and a few day's clothes to the nearest evacuation centre.

If you decide to stay, have a fire plan. Get rid of leaves in the guttering, hose your house down, shut all the doors and windows -with wet towels to block out any gaps. Go to the opposite side of the house, and find a room that should offer the most protection from the fire, wear fire protective clothes, and have water available.....
I'm surprised to hear they would encourage people to stay like that.

surprised to hear they would encourage people to stay like that.

Depends how close the fires are and there expected progress - far, far, more homes are saved, than are lost.......

Folks are asked to leave, but, if the fires cut off the road/s folks get text messages and radio messages telling them that it's too late to leave -and what precautions to take.

Back