FINA Short Course Meet

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mendalla

Happy headbanging ape!!
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Our women swimmers are at it again in Abu Dhabi. So far we've got team golds in the mixed 4x50 and women's 4x100 freestyle relays and Maggie MacNeil set a new world record taking gold in the 50m backstroke (besides being in both relays, including anchoring the 4x50), with teammate Kylie Masse also on the podium. The 4x100 team also set a new Canadian record. And Maggie's specialty, the butterfly, is still to come. Coming off their marvelous performance in Tokyo, it's great to see them ending the year on another high note.

(FYI, I think short course = 50m and 100m only, none of the longer 200m and 400m events)

And Maggie MacNeil lands yet another gold in her signature event, the 100 butterfly. New Canadian record, too. Maybe not quite as prestigious as the World and Olympic golds she's won in it, but still continues her string of wins in the event.

Wonder why London seems to have so many more athletes than Barrie, which is only a little smaller? (I think we have a member of the women's rugby team, and that's all I can think of...)

Wonder why London seems to have so many more athletes than Barrie, which is only a little smaller? (I think we have a member of the women's rugby team, and that's all I can think of...)
Do the age demographics vary?

To be honest, I think we had a bit of a perfect storm this year with Damian Warner finally getting his long deserved Olympic gold, the success of the women's soccer team (two from London including star Jesse Fleming), and Maggie MacNeil hitting her stride in the pool. I don't recall us having this kind of success in Rio or London other than Warner being a contender.

Isnt Barrie 1/4 the size of Barrie?

No, closer to half. London's about 383,000, according to Wiki, and Barrie's at 155,00 or so. So nearer half. We've had a few hockey players over the years, some figure skaters.

We've had a few hockey players over the years, some figure skaters.
And that's kind of been our usual. We've had a few NHL stars come through the Knights organization (but not all were Londoners originally). And, of course, renowned figure skaters Virtue and Moir are from this area and first skated together at the Ilderton Skating Club.

Back