Examples for Peace Work

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
Reaction score
I am reading this very interesting book
written by a Quaker who is the Peace Program coordinator of the Canadian Friends Service Committee.
Here is (part) of what he says about writing the book: ( excerpt from The Canadian Friend):

“ I got started with the writing by reflecting on these sticking points – that you can’t teach an old dog new tricks, that people need tough love to learn, that violence is essential for social change... I looked at the evidence for and against them. I decided to focus on what can realistically be done and also to consider the evidence I could find, even when I didn’t like where it was leading.
For instance, I uncovered countless examples of people doing profoundly disturbing things. I learned more than I ever planned to know about current white supremacist movements. I came to feel that any claim that humans are inherently good is overly-simplistic. I believe that we have capacities for kindness, compassion, and altruism, but also for hate, cruelty, and brutality, and that what gets brought out depends, to a much larger extent than I had previously thought, not on rational decision making, but on others around us, our culture, and the situations we’re in.
In this process I learned a great deal about my own biases and have begun to spot them with more regularity in various situations. So writing this book definitely helped me to develop more compassion and a greater understanding for people who seem on the surface to be caught up in bizarre and inexplicable cycles of violence and hate......
On nearly every topic the more I looked, the messier and more complicated it became. I continually found different camps with different beliefs and theories. For instance I started writing one way about how the brain processes fear, based on the neuroscience authors I had come across. But then I found other theories by other neuroscientists and had to modulate what I was saying accordingly.
Nearly every issue discussed was like this! They all turned out to be contested. Ultimately, I hope to have covered the issues in a way that sticks to findings that are well- established and that highlights ongoing uncertainties......
In order to make this book as useful as possible to a broad audience, to get ‘beyond the choir,’ I chose not to focus primarily on approaches that many readers will likely never adopt, like nonviolent direct action (although they are covered). Instead I focussed on what we can do in our own thinking and treatment of ourselves, and in day-to- day interactions with other people. Perhaps some readers will feel inspired and will learn more about peace issues and become more active, if that feels right for them.”
Matthew Legge

Examples mentioned in the book to follow

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
Reaction score
It would be nice to start the New Year with more examples from the WC2 comunity

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
Reaction score
The Bear Clan patrol- non-violent intervention in the community.
ABOUT BEAR CLAN

``Community People Working with the Community to Provide Personal Security``
It came about as a result of the ongoing need to assume our traditional responsibility to provide security to our Aboriginal community. Given that the Aboriginal population in Winnipeg is anywhere from 60,000 to 80,000, and is heavily concentrated in certain inner city neighborhoods, it was felt that the community must organize to keep the peace and to assist community members. The concept behind the patrol, then, is community people working with the community to provide personal security in the inner city in a non-threatening, non-violent and supportive way. The Patrol operates out of the Ndinawe Youth Drop In located in the city’s north end.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
Canadian Peace Initiative

An initiative to institute a Federal Department of Peace.

"At the macro level, when the Prime Minister needs advice when making policy or program choices around peace, there is a big vacuum. There is no strategic focus for peace in government."
~ Bill Bhaneja, Former Senior Policy Advisor, Foreign Affairs & International Trade

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Reaction score
I like this summer camp that takes place each year in Toronto - bringing Israeli & Palestinian youth together. https://www.cbc.ca/radio/docproject...the-key-to-peace-in-the-middle-east-1.4992630

Five Oaks also runs a summer camp programme for settler & indigenous kids to come together to learn about one another - building peace & respect. This is the info from last summer - Wampum-Neechi: Indigenous & Non-Indigenous Youth Experience 2019

I think these are important initiatives at a 'micro' level.