Everybody Hong Kong Fighting

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Inannawhimsey

M&M, Cascadian Lovers
Reaction score
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
--Howard Thurman

Some may know that there has been a little to do going on in Hong Kong pretty much consistently for over a year

The oppressed of Hong Kong fighting for their livelihoods against the False Chinese Government

There has been a lot of really fascinating protest art coming out of that

Here is a taste

f957e93ae5c4fb2579dd43a03115c606.jpg

ttcqrmwjfkmqxy3f1wnfnsosk6kcoo.jpg
f-hongpepe-b-20191005.jpg
25daec6f2f6ce42061207abe6fa82138.jpg
image-4-jpg.jpg

All images are google image search

#MutualAid
#BeNotAfraid
#SystemicWhimsey
#JoyPrivilege

Inannawhimsey

M&M, Cascadian Lovers
Reaction score
http-cdn.cnn_.com-cnnnext-dam-assets-190809084003-be-water-tease-1.jpg
101919c6-a7aa-11e9-8d5c-2d5b58977904_image_hires_053046.jpg
image-16.jpg
kai-lan-egg-intro.jpg
head.ngsversion.1566913748497.adapt.1900.1.jpg
Again all images are google image search

#MutualAid
#BeNotAfraid
#SystemicWhimsey
#JoyPrivilege

Last edited:

Ritafee

Being Human
Reaction score
Isn't it Ironic .....

Reporting From Hong Kong

Posted on October 6, 2019
Hong Kong Banned Wearing Masks In Public.
So People Filled The Streets Wearing Masks In Defiance.

A new law aimed at keeping people off the streets backfired, as violence flared in Hong Kong yet again. Many are more concerned about what other restrictions the government is planning.

Thousands protested, many wearing masks, as the clock ticked toward the ban taking effect, and clashes broke out around the city.

The ban on face masks was punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine.

Face masks are a common feature among the crowds of protesters, both for security and safety.

Many protesters wear gas masks and respirators, as do first aid responders and journalists, to protect themselves from tear gas that the police deploy to disperse crowds that engage in violence.

Some wear them to protect their identity, fearful they will be captured in photos and by surveillance equipment, then targeted for retaliation.

Few people attend mass gatherings without one, even during peaceful marches and demonstrations.

But the face masks, and the anonymity they provide, have given cover to more violent protesters, who have beaten police officers and vandalized property.

Undercover police officers have also used masks to disguise themselves as protesters and make arrests.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
One thing that never gets talked about in the whole discussion about Hong Kong is that this is all only happening because of British imperialism. Hong Kong was just another Chinese city until the First Opium War which, lets not forget, was the British using military force to stop the Qing Dynasty's attempt to shutdown British drug dealers. It was a deliberate, violent seizure of another country's territory and had it not happened, we would not be having this conversation.

And that's what the Chinese remember. To them, regaining Hong Kong is part of erasing the humiliation of that war. So make no mistake, Hong Kong will become part of the People's Republic of China again and the vast majority of the people of China don't need propaganda to convince them that is a good thing. They will support it.

And, frankly, I do find it funny that we are going through this whole self-critical analysis about the role of colonialism and imperialism and their attendant racism in our culture but ignoring the fact that those are the root of the situation in Hong Kong.

Short version: Had Hong Kong not been forcibly taken from the Chinese by Britain, this would not be happening. Does anyone in the West even understand or acknowledge that?

Reaction score
Several generations of people lived in Hong Kong under British rule, but also with a different lifestyle/ cultural and sociopolitical points of view. It’s not just a hunk of land with an “owner”, and the owner gets to take control of the people (I can certainly see why people might object to it being reduced to that). It’s a whole lot of people that knew a different way of life, having a much more authoritarian way of life forced on them.

The fact that two countries leaders made a land deal on behalf of people who were not born yet and there would be generations of time in between the transition - I could see that feeling unfair to those who were born into that deal with no say.

Last edited:

Luce NDs

Reaction score
One thing that never gets talked about in the whole discussion about Hong Kong is that this is all only happening because of British imperialism. Hong Kong was just another Chinese city until the First Opium War which, lets not forget, was the British using military force to stop the Qing Dynasty's attempt to shutdown British drug dealers. It was a deliberate, violent seizure of another country's territory and had it not happened, we would not be having this conversation.

And that's what the Chinese remember. To them, regaining Hong Kong is part of erasing the humiliation of that war. So make no mistake, Hong Kong will become part of the People's Republic of China again and the vast majority of the people of China don't need propaganda to convince them that is a good thing. They will support it.

And, frankly, I do find it funny that we are going through this whole self-critical analysis about the role of colonialism and imperialism and their attendant racism in our culture but ignoring the fact that those are the root of the situation in Hong Kong.

Short version: Had Hong Kong not been forcibly taken from the Chinese by Britain, this would not be happening. Does anyone in the West even understand or acknowledge that?

It is a capital subject to discuss ... is it naught? Some accept it as nothing to scoff!

Within the confines of the empire of capital ... much is scoffed that wasn't theirs to begin ... consider roman overflows ...

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
I could see that feeling unfair to those who were born into that deal with no say.
Hmmm...does anyone have a "say" in their circumstances of their birth? I'm sitting here shivering, wondering what possessed my parents to pass up New Zealand (their other choice of place to immigrate).

Reaction score
Hmmm...does anyone have a "say" in their circumstances of their birth? I'm sitting here shivering, wondering what possessed my parents to pass up New Zealand (their other choice of place to immigrate).
If you are alive while it changes then that would suck. Imagine if that was us. Imagine the Chinese and British made a deal with us (they wouldn’t have, but just as an exercise), and you knew democracy and free (freer) press all your life, your mother knew democracy and free press all her life, and your grandmother for hers even - and now you won’t anymore and your kids won’t anymore and your potential grandkids won’t. I’d be pissed. Most would.

Ritafee

Being Human
Reaction score
Before the British colonized what was to become Canada, First Nations inhabitants had been living there for over 10,000 years. The colonists believed that they could make better use of the land, and decided to claim it as their own.

There was one thing stopping the colonization from happening: the Indigenous People.

So, British colonists relocated the Natives onto reserves — which still exist to this day — in order to make full use of the land and ‘civilize’ the Indians. By the 1930’s, there were over 1500 reserves and counting, in an attempt to create segregation and establish dominance in the fur trade industry.

The British Royal Proclamation of 1763 was designed to solve the problem of private transfers of Indian land in North America. It decreed that there were to be no sales of such land to individual settlers: instead, Indian land was to be surrendered to the Crown through a treaty process.

In other words, the document confirms the existence of Aboriginal Title and Rights which only could be extinguished by means of a treaty.

Representations of the British colonization of North America portray a just process in which the Indians took part as equals. In reality, treaties were no more than rubber stamps for the legalized stealing and plundering of Indian land.

In BC, where most of the land is unceded and without treaty, First Nations retain their jurisdiction according to British law.

The BC treaty process has produced few if any satisfactory compromises, accommodations or negotiated agreements. Regrettably, it seems that only direct action such as road and railway blockades makes the powers that be - big business and government - sit up and pay attention to the demands of First Nations and their non native supporters.

First, there has been the humiliating imposition of British supremacy that went with colonization.

Photos that denigrated First Nations people as nameless and powerless subjects were common.

Second, there was the shameful treatment of Indians in early treaties by means of which valuable land was obtained "for an apple and an egg," amounting to theft.

As indigenous protesters frequently state: there can be "No Justice on Stolen Land"

Third, there has been widespread duplicity of settlers who have refused to stick to treaty agreements.

Fourth, white settler society has flouted its own treaty laws if obeying the law meant that greedy land grabbing would have to be curtailed.

Fifth, Canadian and in particular BC governments, in cahoots with corporate interests, have been following a devious and destructive policy of "divide & conquer," playing Indians against Indians by offering divisive and corrupt deals, luring some poverty struck natives into accepting bribes and jailing others for standing up for their rights.

Imagine if that was us.

Reaction score
Before the British colonized what was to become Canada, First Nations inhabitants had been living there for over 10,000 years. The colonists believed that they could make better use of the land, and decided to claim it as their own.

There was one thing stopping the colonization from happening: the Indigenous People.

So, British colonists relocated the Natives onto reserves — which still exist to this day — in order to make full use of the land and ‘civilize’ the Indians. By the 1930’s, there were over 1500 reserves and counting, in an attempt to create segregation and establish dominance in the fur trade industry.

The British Royal Proclamation of 1763 was designed to solve the problem of private transfers of Indian land in North America. It decreed that there were to be no sales of such land to individual settlers: instead, Indian land was to be surrendered to the Crown through a treaty process.

In other words, the document confirms the existence of Aboriginal Title and Rights which only could be extinguished by means of a treaty.

Representations of the British colonization of North America portray a just process in which the Indians took part as equals. In reality, treaties were no more than rubber stamps for the legalized stealing and plundering of Indian land.

In BC, where most of the land is unceded and without treaty, First Nations retain their jurisdiction according to British law.

The BC treaty process has produced few if any satisfactory compromises, accommodations or negotiated agreements. Regrettably, it seems that only direct action such as road and railway blockades makes the powers that be - big business and government - sit up and pay attention to the demands of First Nations and their non native supporters.

First, there has been the humiliating imposition of British supremacy that went with colonization.

Photos that denigrated First Nations people as nameless and powerless subjects were common.

Second, there was the shameful treatment of Indians in early treaties by means of which valuable land was obtained "for an apple and an egg," amounting to theft.

As indigenous protesters frequently state: there can be "No Justice on Stolen Land"

Third, there has been widespread duplicity of settlers who have refused to stick to treaty agreements.

Fourth, white settler society has flouted its own treaty laws if obeying the law meant that greedy land grabbing would have to be curtailed.

Fifth, Canadian and in particular BC governments, in cahoots with corporate interests, have been following a devious and destructive policy of "divide & conquer," playing Indians against Indians by offering divisive and corrupt deals, luring some poverty struck natives into accepting bribes and jailing others for standing up for their rights.

I realize that. It's similar but also different. It's not up to us to sort out, though. There are a lot of people in China and Hong Kong on each side of this - that know their circumstances and how they feel about them better than you and I do. I'd rather leave this discussion and focus on other things.

Inannawhimsey

M&M, Cascadian Lovers
Reaction score

Word *candle*

(You should have written something aboot this sooner. I might have missed it tho)

I wonder if it is even possible to look at all the various Colonialisms and Imperialisms and assign blame to just one side? And then get some sort of agreement? Besides just bearing witness?

(I still cant believe Japan has a history of invading China lol...what a people)

Obviously that Colonialism and Imperialism didnt just produce negative effects?

Personally Im looking forward to when the Right Chinese Government on Taipei gets back into power mua ha ha

I blame multicellularity. Life has gone downhill ever since lol

(Of course there r colonialisms being ignored now...like 5G...Universal Health Care...transmission of Wokism to non USA...Freedom of Religion...Germ theory...oh my)

#MutualAid
#BeNotAfraid
#SystemicWhimsey
#JoyPrivilege

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
I really fail to see how "universal health care" is a colonialism. I tend to see it as a human rights marker. One that China is a lot closer to than our crazy neighbour.

Now, "health care" might vary from country to country. Asian countries tend to follow a much more preventive and holistic model of health.

Inannawhimsey

M&M, Cascadian Lovers
Reaction score
I really fail to see how "universal health care" is a colonialism. I tend to see it as a human rights marker. One that China is a lot closer to than our crazy neighbour.

Now, "health care" might vary from country to country. Asian countries tend to follow a much more preventive and holistic model of health.
In a country claiming UHC, I can ask something like "What aboot my shaman?"

If they cant answer...:3

#MutualAid
#BeNotAfraid
#SystemicWhimsey
#JoyPrivilege

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
No, but in a country with UHC, "options" like chiropractors, massage therapists, DCM, all become viable health alternatives. I'll tell you, when I was seeing a DCM monthly, AND my sister was training in reflexology and using me as a "test patient", I have never felt quite so "well".

Luce NDs

Reaction score
Is well as deep as Jacobean .. and thus unseen by fascism ... given the human flaws in continuum?

May the continuum be deeper than 2-D stories ... flat-out? Thus psyche expands with ankh and stretch ... some Y'ankhs will over stretch bounds ... just give them enough line ... hanging metaphor? Something to dangle over the pool ... Dragonfly in Blackville! Literary's kills ...