Easter Weekend Smalltalk Vigil

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

GO3838

So here we are, experiencing Easter Weekend in a very different way.
One of the things I've missed over the past month is smalltalk: with my co-workers in the staffroom, with people I pass on the sidewalk, with other shoppers lined up at the cash register. So I thought it would be fun to have a wonderthread that starts Good Friday and ends Monday morning, just for smalltalk as we go through the weekend.

I woke up at 3 this morning and couldn't get back to sleep. It's a cold and dreary wintery morning here in Eastern Ontario.

But I like it when the weather on Good Friday matches with the sentiment of the day. (And I'll hope for a sunny, cheery Easter Sunday!)

Right now I'm making stuffing bread. I normally buy stuffing bread from an artisan bakery, but they're closed right now.

So I'm baking plain white bread in the breadmaker, (well, not all white - I used 1 cup of whole wheat.)
And I threw in 2 tsps of Italian seasoning, and I'll hope for the best.

I'm going to listen to Rideau Park United Church's livestream of a Good Friday service at 10 this morning.

And my own community of faith is having Good Friday reflections at 1:00 pm on Zoom today as well.

Good idea for a thread.

I met a neighbor while out on my walk yesterday and had a nice chat. We have both lived here for decades but had never crossed paths until now. It was kind of fun. We kept our distance, of course.

Maybe Nova Scotians are,the masters in small talk- I find myself doing a lot of that with people in the
line up. Six feet is not that hard to talk with others, unless you are hard of hearing and don’t have hearing aids.
I usually are not much into small talk, getting tired of it pretty quickly.
Small talk can happen over the phone, but I imagine that part of it is body language....
The wind is howling here and it is snowing again. I am planning to walk to the next gas station to buy a lottery ticket for the 70+ 24 millions tonight- if I dare to get out into this weather later on.

I saw from the Weather Network that the Maritimes are in for an Easter winter storm.......

stay safe, Mrs. Anteater!

Very windy here. Could probably just put a sail on my bike to get around.

No real plans for the weekend. Read a bit. Watch a bit. Got a couple small jobs I can do admin-wise for WC2 (some renewals and an update to the style that provides the base for our look).

We were able to sit outside yesterday. It reached 18 and was sunny. We chatted with our neighbours and people passing by on walks. I'm thankful for these opportunities. I miss being able to gather in groups sitting closer together.

Someone I know is very sick with covid. Her friends and family have set up a prayer group for her on FB. It's awesome to see so many people who care for her. She is Cree so her cousin invited people to smudge and say a prayer for her. Since that's not my tradition, I lit a candle.

Besides baking, I'm trying to get some school work done, too.

We have to provide mid-term marks for grade 11 and 12's, and I have lots to mark for both my grade 11 and 12 class.

Although I usually chafe against doing school work on Easter Weekend, ....I don't really have a lot else to do to pass the time.

Hahaha - we're so Canadian - the weather report is important in our conversation! Makes me smile. For some unknown reason, I woke up earlier than usual today. I had a 'not cross bun' for breakfast today :) So yummy. I did a bit of the crossword puzzle while I waiting for a friend to call me back - we talked thru her disappointing experience with a sourdough recipe yesterday - got it figured out. Then I wandered my garden in the wind, to see what's new today - every day brings some new revelation at this time year. Next I brought in some pots from the garage, washed them up & transplanted a batch of seedlings - yay! More stuff growing! Watched the noon media conference, listened to some of Hillhurst service, noodled around on fb, and now I think I'll do a bit of jigsaw puzzle. SUCH a busy day! LOL

I just woke up from an afternoon nap (my 3 am start got the better of me.)

My stuffing bread actually smells like stuffing! I also baked an orange-blueberry cake with cornmeal, which will be a nice treat later.

I enjoyed my community of faith's Zoom reflection. Nice to see people, and especially some that now live out of town.

I'm off for a walk now, but it looks as though I should wear mitts and a hat! I can see the odd snowflake in the wind!

Just finished having supper of fish and chips .... (a Good Friday tradition I picked up from my Catholic in-laws...)

I might watch "Ben Hur" on DVD tonight. I remember as a child in the 1970's, "Ben Hur" was on TV every Good Friday (and "The Ten Commandments" was on TV every Palm Sunday night....)

My favourite scene used to be the galley sequences (probably because they were my Dad's favourite part of the film...)

Now I would say I like the sequences when the mother and daughter have leprosy - love the music soundtrack and the heavy sentiment!

I saw quite a few police cars out this afternoon while I was walking. They are really taking the "social distancing" thing very seriously, which is good.

Besides baking, I'm trying to get some school work done, too.

We have to provide mid-term marks for grade 11 and 12's, and I have lots to mark for both my grade 11 and 12 class.

Although I usually chafe against doing school work on Easter Weekend, ....I don't really have a lot else to do to pass the time.
Well you could bake me a cake. :oops: Or I could bake you one.:)

Sorry to hear about that connection Northwind, and your former colleague from the north. Makes it more real when people we know personally are affected.

We too had fish for supper - some lovely Arctic Char - I think it is one of my favourite fishes to eat. Didn't get out for a walk today - the wind was a bit intimidating! So tomorrow should be better weather & I will have to go twice around my route!!

Back