Easter people or Christmas people?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

I realize you asked waterfall...but if it interests you, I think it means stop obsessing over every word of scripture . The way Jesus lived among people was how God wants people to behave toward one another. Jesus, who is God, and God is love - only gave 2 commandments.

Does your interpretation of scripture and trying to live in slavish devotion to every bit of it from the Old Testament to the New - does that help you want to be helpful in the world, and a to be good neighbour to others who are of different faiths and cultures the way Jesus was, unsafe?

Kimmio -----you said ----- does that help you want to be helpful in the world, and a to be good neighbour to others

It not only helps me Kimmio ---it propels me ------you have no idea how God has used me in helping others in this world -------as far as this world goes ---I can't fix it as it is under a curse still ---only Jesus can rectify that and He will do that when He is ready ------

I say ----I do not have to justify my helping other to anyone

I rely on the Holy Spirit to direct my Help Kimmio -----we are to help others without bragging their Kimmio ------that is between God and the person ----we are not suppose to shout it out ------many say --look what I did ----that is just puffing themself up and patting themselves on the back ----- so I will keep what the Holy Spirit directs me to do for my neighbour between God and myself ------I don't need to shout out any good deeds that I am directed to do ------you focus on what you do for others and don't worry about what others do -----just make sure you are doing your part in loving your neighbour -----as that is your Gospel

I say ----I do not have to justify my helping other to anyone

I rely on the Holy Spirit to direct my Help Kimmio -----we are to help others without bragging their Kimmio ------that is between God and the person ----we are not suppose to shout it out ------many say --look what I did ----that is just puffing themself up and patting themselves on the back ----- so I will keep what the Holy Spirit directs me to do for my neighbour between God and myself ------I don't need to shout out any good deeds that I am directed to do ------you focus on what you do for others and don't worry about what others do -----just make sure you are doing your part in loving your neighbour -----as that is your Gospel
I’m not asking you to brag. You wouldn’t be bragging in your own right anyway, according to your belief system, because it’s God working through you, not you. So you’d be giving credit to God. Just tell me generally how following scripture to the letter helps you help others.

I certainly have room for improvement. Some people I’ve met who are not Christians do better at helping others, with open hearts and non-judgemental minds. I believe God works through them too.

Last edited:
Kimmio ---God's word inbirths His Faith in us -----True Compassion is acted upon by and through The Faith we have in God and His word --God's Faith will move us to Help the person who The Holy Spirit directs us to ------Faith without works is dead faith -----

God's faith comes by way of hearing His word ------and believing His word works as it says it does ------and it is up to us to put it into practice -----The More we are in God's word the stronger our Faith becomes and the more this Faith will propel us to move to help others ----- The Good Samaritan parable and the Prodigal Son are 2 that show true compassion and Faith that moves us to help others -----

Well I agree that Non Christians do help others and do good works ------They are doing it to give Glory to themselves -------When True Christians move to help others it is directed by The Holy Spirit and all Glory is given to God not us ------that is the difference -----

This is from Bible Study tools

The definition of compassion is a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is hurting, in pain, or has misfortune and is accompanied by a strong desire to help the suffering.
It's not always easy to show compassion, especially when we feel like the person deserves their misfortune. These Bible verses about compassion teach us that it is a true mark of Christian character.

Colossians 3:12
Chapter Parallel Compare
12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

No they do not do it to give glory to themselves. Narcissists give themselves glory. Plenty of people help others because they need help. Did the Good Samaritan help in order to give glory to himself? No. He did it because the injured man was another human being who needed help. True compassion comes from God no matter whether a Christian shows it or not. Jesus points that out through the parable.

Last edited:
One has to ask, who would actually walk by an severely injured man in a gutter and do nothing - what are the traits of the person (not their faith or religion) who would have no conscience, and walk by?

One has to ask, who would actually walk by an severely injured man in a gutter and do nothing - what are the traits of the person (not their faith or religion) who would have no conscience, and walk by?

Thing is, it happens all the time regardless of faith or religion. "Someone else will help." "What can I do anyway?" "None of my business." And so on. At most, they might pull out their phone and call 911. Certainly, I don't think most people would respond as the Good Samaritan did, esp. in our day and age. And I don't think those people are psychopaths or anything. Many people simply have a natural discomfort with dealing with crises and tend to practice avoidance to some degree.

If the person just had the snot beaten out of them and they’re crying for help?

You'd be surprised. If there was a crowd around, I imagine someone would respond, but not everyone. And reactions are situational, too. People may respond in one situation but not another. I once drove a severely intoxicated neighbour (as in, close to passing out) to get help but have also "stood by" at times as well.

Kimmio ----- No they do not do it to give glory to themselves.

Sorry but they do ------Non Christians are away from God Kimmio -----so the glory is to themselves ------you can disagree but that is the real truth ------

You need to know what the Bible meaning of Glory is -----it is giving honor to God to promote His Glory here on earth ------

Strong's Concordance
doxa:--------- honor, renown; glory, an especially divine quality, the unspoken manifestation of God, splendor.
. so as to honor God, to promote his glory (among men):

Non Christians are away from God Kimmio -----so the glory is to themselves ------you can disagree but that is the real truth

Not this bulls**t again. No, it is not to themselves by definition. There are more options than "self" and "God" and there more options than "Christian" and "Non-Christian". Many non-Christians are as selfless as anyone and many Christians have been terrible for making a show of their "goodness". The glory can be to their own religion (non-Christian doesn't mean they don't have a faith or don't believe in God, cf. Judaism and Islam), it can be to humanity, it can be to whatever philosophy they follow. Even absent a God, good can be done for good's sake and more than a few non-Christians have done good and quietly slipped away to avoid the spotlight. Glory seekers exist in every tradition, so do selfless doers of good. And, frankly, claiming your tradition is the only one where good for good's sake is possible sounds rather like taking glory unto oneself to me.

You'd be surprised. If there was a crowd around, I imagine someone would respond, but not everyone. And reactions are situational, too. People may respond in one situation but not another. I once drove a severely intoxicated neighbour (as in, close to passing out) to get help but have also "stood by" at times as well.
If it involved getting into the middle of a violent situation, like in the middle of a fight, I would keep my distance and call for help. Otherwise I’d ask if they needed help. I have walked by people sleeping on the street and not woken them up. They probably need lots of other help, but that wouldn’t be the right way to offer any. If they’re sleeping they probably need sleep.

The response could also be, after seeing too many needing certain help, organizing to provide that help and to address the core issues that led to them needing it.

I'm quite confused at unsafe's conclusion about Jesus' story of the Good Samaritan.

Given that the person who saved the Samaritan was not a Christian, and thus wanted only the glory of the saving for themselves, exactly what lesson was Jesus teaching here?

...maybe that the action was more important that the belief?...

Back