Do you believe in any "spooky stuff"?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

What "Spooky stuff" do you believe in?

• Ghosts and Hauntings

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cryptids (Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, etc.)

• UFOs and Alien Encounters

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Demons and Possession

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Magic(k) (real, not stage)

• Psychic powers (telepathy, clairvoyance, etc.)

• Communicating with "spirits" (mediums, channeling, etc.)

• Other

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • None

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters

Mendalla

Happy headbanging ape!!
Pronouns
He/Him/His
Hallowe'en looms. The night when the dark forces are let loose in the world to stalk the living and ... collect candy:jackolantern:. Except there may not be much of that this year.

So, let's talk about the spooky stuff. Are you a believer or a skeptic? Are there any paranormal phenomena that you believe in or take seriously? Does your faith play a part in that belief? Are any of these part of your religious belief system?

I don't really believe in any of it, not seriously. I did when I was younger, especially UFOs and cryptids. And, really, there's still a bit of that in me. I saw a strange light in the sky the other night and, yeah, I thought "UFO" for a moment. Then I faintly heard an aircraft engine which more or less dealt with the "unidentified" part. And I still find myself nervously looking around in the woods at times.

That said, I am a rather skeptical sort any more and I would not say I actually, consciously believe in any of it. Some I think may represent an natural phenomenon that we just haven't explained yet, but I don't think any of them are "supernatural". Some cryptids, for instance. Perhaps UFOs (but I don't they could be aliens). I guess I am, as with a lot of things, agnostic. There may be something to some of these, but I have not experienced any of them in a way that convinces they are real. In some cases, I want to believe some of these are real (e.g. on Bigfoot, I would love for there to be huge, humanoid apes living in the Pacific Northwest), but just have no evidence that convinces me.

The poll is for fun and isn't going to close on Hallowe'en or anything. Just a discussion prompt.

I think it can be fun to pretend with some of it, but I don't really believe in it.
Closest I get is believing in a 'gut feeling' but that is less paranormal and moreso something going on that we can't really consciously pinpoint.

I was sorta into Magic as an alienated teenage wannabe witch, lol. Not much substance there, although I understand there's some serious "Wicca" goes on these days.

But I did vote "other", because I have had two distinct types of experience, very rarely (the first type once, the second three times), that I would describe as "mystic".

And there's enough history with ghosts, and I remember a haunting statement from somewhere that "you can't leave if you've got an active addiction when you die", that I don't completely poo-poo the idea.

Largely, I find little of the "spooky" particularly credible, although I will say that my "mystic" experiences fairly profoundly changed the way I view the world.

I was sorta into Magic as an alienated teenage wannabe witch, lol. Not much substance there, although I understand there's some serious "Wicca" goes on these days.

But I did vote "other", because I have had two distinct types of experience, very rarely (the first type once, the second three times), that I would describe as "mystic".

And there's enough history with ghosts, and I remember a haunting statement from somewhere that "you can't leave if you've got an active addiction when you die", that I don't completely poo-poo the idea.

Largely, I find little of the "spooky" particularly credible, although I will say that my "mystic" experiences fairly profoundly changed the way I view the world.
Oh heard your soul stays in limbo for eternity of you commit suicide. A spiritual but not religious person I know believes this.

I suppose nothing has to be spooky if one is used to it. I believe the "afterlife" is another demension where we are consciously aware. Multiple worlds theory. We are only conscious of being in one world at a time. Since we are only conscious of one lifetime at a time, one "I" at a time - it does not conflict with my faith. But that's a whole different thread topic

And I suspect, but it is just a feeling - that sometimes there are "thin spaces" (as I've heard this and other phenomena referred to) where/ when these worlds collide or cross in a moment, and occasionally cause us spooky experiences we can't explain. That's the simplest way to describe my weird belief.

Last edited:
Are ghostly things (in essence) like the myth or story of yourself that remains when you are no longer contained by reality and thus only a thought of what was before (prescient existence)?

Some would label this as ante ... or prior as in aboriginal ... alas ... one is told by laws and loss that you cannot say such things! So IT goes ... and something else passes ... like a kohl briz ... HOOBRIS? Pride falls ...

Spooky is a subjective term.

I don't think UFO's are inherently "spooky" Alien encounters seems to run more towards the terrifying (according to reporting) beyond that they are simply puzzling as is evidenced by the unidentified.

Spooky is a subjective term.

I don't think UFO's are inherently "spooky" Alien encounters seems to run more towards the terrifying (according to reporting) beyond that they are simply puzzling as is evidenced by the unidentified.

There are folks that find what they don't know as scary ... thus the cognizance and conception of psychomania or paranoia!

If you can scare the crap out of people with stories of Louis Pasteur ... they may be masqued! Fun Guys erupt ... in Europe they may be harvested by pigs as truffles that sell for more than a trifle! Inflation Eire ...

Should we know better by chance or quantum impressions? Unknown observations ... dark science ...

Spooky: Woo woo. Playing cards round a friends house. It was a hot summers night and all the doors and windows were open, His mum was sitting quietly knitting I took a break from cards and sat in the chair next to her. Suddenly in walked a boy about 8 or 9 stood directly in front of her and tug her skirt, she looked up at him directly, and he said where's my mum. Which made all the card players turn and look. She did not reply. Looked down again and carried on with her knitting the boy turned and left. So I got up and followed "wondering what a boy is doing out on his own this late at night looking for his mum" when I got to the front door he had vanished. So I went back in. and said who was that boy did you know him, and she said what boy. I said to my friends who playing cards you all saw him, which they all then denied. So I took it as if I must have dozed off and had dreamed it. Would you say that was spooky. I have a few more.

So I took it as if I must have dozed off and had dreamed it. Would you say that was spooky.
Yes to spooky, but your explanation seems likely given that the others had no memory of the incident. I've had many spooky dreams over the years, including some involving spooky things.

Then there's my spider dreams. I am arachnophobic but also quite fond of the little beasts and get on pretty well with them in the daylight. But the nightmares I have about them tell me I am not completely over my phobia of them.

I tend to think that there is more than the obvious physical world that we see most of the time , and that sometimes the different layers of reality get temporary glitches. I have experienced some of these glitches myself, as have family members. None of us have found any logical cause for the glitches but we hesitate to name them as ghosts or any other paranormal title.

I believe it's possible that there will be another far right fascist hitler type attempt to dominate the world. Something I grew up thinking would never happen in my lifetime. I've acutely noticed this world get worse over the past 10 years in many ways. More divided, less caring, more selfish, more narcissistic, more economic disparity. Coinciding with technology. That's really spooky. And yes, it felt like a surreal, and unpleasant awakening that came from outside myself.

(I also believe it's possible that a fascist take-over won't happen and the human race will be okay.)

Sometimes I wish I could wake up in a better alternate universe and not even know I went anywhere.

Last edited:
Back