Discussing subconscious racism

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

See the sign “This Karen would like to speak to the police’s manager” ? (y)
Just to correct this bit in the article - Additionally, Canadians have been protesting the recent death of Regis Korchinski-Paquet, a black Toronto woman whose mother says the 29-year-old woman was fatally pushed off a balcony by authorities.

The distraught mom later recanted this comment about police pushing her off the balcony - stating she did not actually know what had occured. Local reports indicate police received THREE 911 calls about this woman (one from the distraught mother), a disturbance, and that a knife was involved. When police arrived, the family were all in the hall, the woman was in the apt alone. Mom wanted police to take dtr to the psychiatric facility. Police had responded on other occasions to the apartment. There is more to be revealed as the tragic story unfolds. Personally, I suspect an agitated psychotic episode, not police pushing her off the balcony. Sad situation for everyone involved, no question about that.

I don't talk much about this but I will...

A long time ago, I was out with somebody celebrating just getting a new job. We went to a couple of nightclubs. Some drinks were consumed. At the second one, a man grabbed my butt when my boyfriend was in the bathroom. I told him about it and he was outraged...far more than I expected. And he tried to find the guy and argued with the bouncer and got kicked out. So I left, and as we were outside waiting for a cab, I said, as he was still angry, "Keep your voice down. There are cops over there." He turned around and looked toward one and said, "I'm not scared of them." That cop grabbed him and threw him against the hood of the cop car, cuffed him, and took him away. I was yelling, "Please don't. He hasn't done anything!"

This person has bipolar and epilepsy without his meds - he's white, but an immigrant and has been misunderstood by authority and came from a place where there was a lot of police corruption. I was terrified for him and I called the cops several times. I even went down to the police station at 4 am and sat on the ledge by the curb for an hour , and I spoke to a cop who was going in, who told me to go home. It wasn't safe for a young woman to be down there.

I went back home in a taxi and called a few more times. They told me they couldn't give me information about anyone in custody. I tried to get through to the warden. I was told if I didn't stop calling they'd come and arrest me. I was up all night and the warden called me. I explained I was worried about my friend's safety in custody because he's without his meds. Not long after, they released him, without charges. He said he'd been alone in a cement cell. Maybe things could've turned out worse.

Another incident happened out of the blue one night when a guy exposed himself (he was peeing but it was not taken that way by my bf) he got beat up by this guy and two friends for speaking up - I told him let's keep walking, but next thing you know he was being beaten up. I was shaking, could hardly hold my phone. I think neighbours called the cops before I did. I was afraid because of the previous incident, to call them and have my loved one treated badly even though he was not in the wrong (though we should've ignored the guy in the first place).

Last edited:
Just to correct this bit in the article - Additionally, Canadians have been protesting the recent death of Regis Korchinski-Paquet, a black Toronto woman whose mother says the 29-year-old woman was fatally pushed off a balcony by authorities.

The distraught mom later recanted this comment about police pushing her off the balcony - stating she did not actually know what had occured. Local reports indicate police received THREE 911 calls about this woman (one from the distraught mother), a disturbance, and that a knife was involved. When police arrived, the family were all in the hall, the woman was in the apt alone. Mom wanted police to take dtr to the psychiatric facility. Police had responded on other occasions to the apartment. There is more to be revealed as the tragic story unfolds. Personally, I suspect an agitated psychotic episode, not police pushing her off the balcony. Sad situation for everyone involved, no question about that.

OTOH, that does not leave out the possibility that the police mishandled the situation leading to the woman jumping. And that mishandling could be due to racism. If the mother stated she did not know what happened, then we do not know either. Hopefully the SIU can piece something together. Apparently they subpoenaed the buildings security cameras.

Yes Mendalla - it makes the case for having body cameras, doesn't it? Complicated.

I’m just thinking about how police brutality, toxic masculinity and bigotry toward all types of minorities are not mutually exclusive issues. So, if the young woman’s case was mishandled it could’ve been an issue of race, gender or mishandling of someone with a mental illness - or all three - any which way, would be an injustice. All of those problems have to be solved in society simultaneously/ hand in hand (and compassionately) if none them are to exist.

Last edited:
This clip shows and discusses a disturbing video of several police marching down a quite residential street like storm troopers. A couple of women, who happen to be black, were filming on their phones from their front porch, and the police shot rubber bullets at them and hit one woman! Again, they were 2 black women standing quietly on their own front porch. That’s an insane display of racism, sexism, and toxic masculinity. And those cops need a psych evaluation. But...Trump said “dominate them” and that’s what they’re doing...to people who are not even at a protest, but who are at home!!!

Last edited:
I encourage you to watch this excellent Instagram Live post by one of my favourite knitters. She explains the need to stand in the gap. The video is about half an hour and is worth watching. Stand in the Gap

It's interesting that not much (anything?) is being mentioned about the racist killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis. It's gut wrenching.

A friend posted this thoughtful blog about we 'white women' just don't get it sometimes. Worth a read & some reflection IMO. I like the list of resources in the edits at the end of the blog. 5 Racist Anti-Racism Responses “Good” White Women Give to Viral Posts — KatyKatiKate

Interesting read........
The writer is correct - many comments from white folks don't focus on the victim - but on themselves. She articulates for me why -when listening/reading comments re racism by white folks I have this uncomfortable feeling that "there's something wrong here". The main focus seems to be "it's those other white folks - I'm not like that."

BLM and Pride join together in West Hollywood.

(Remember a few years ago in Toronto, there was disagreement between BLM and Pride?Organizers felt they crashed the Party, BLM felt there were not enough of their voices in the LGBTQ movement and they wanted more visibility, and felt that celebrating police presence was inappropriate? ...some friction, some acceptance, and they're coming together. The trend has been set.)

Last edited:
I encourage you to watch this excellent Instagram Live post by one of my favourite knitters. She explains the need to stand in the gap. The video is about half an hour and is worth watching. Stand in the Gap
Thanks Northwind for the video link - which I watched while winding a skein of yarn :) Definitely worth it.

This is so wrong. Now they are looking to find a loophole, like he would have died of covid, drug abuse or seizures anyway. Lets scientifically test it and put a knee on anybody’s neck for eight minutes who claims that that wasn’t the cause of death.

This is so wrong. Now they are looking to find a loophole, like he would have died of covid, drug abuse or seizures anyway. Lets scientifically test it and put a knee on anybody’s neck for eight minutes who claims that that wasn’t the cause of death.
I think it's wrong too, that's why I posted it.

I wonder why George Floyd's covid status even reported on in the news - the mainstream media. I wonder if the point was to make people to turn their minds away from racial injustice and think instead about covid...that him having covid somehow makes it less of a murder. (It doesn't.) ...but then I wonder how many wrongful deaths of people who carried covid, were labelled covid deaths. That is worth thinking about.

He died because an officer put all his weight on George Floyd's neck and asphyxiated him - having asymptomatic covid/ recovered from covid had nothing to do with it. And neither do speculations about drug abuse or seizures. Neither of those things would've made what the police officer did to him, less of a murder, either.

Last edited:
Back