Discussing subconscious racism

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Reaction score
In a domain where NU Sin' or lynching was a common process against perceived losers ... would fight or flight portion of PTSD overcome the state of wellness?

May be a righteous expletive innate as implicit query! Exclude that!

Is PTSD a sense of sympathetic erasure ... neuronic disturbance?

Thus blown ... one has to be beat down to a negative dimension compared to balanced norms ... before popping up from the depressed pit as illustrated in the Greek γ (gamma) or Roman þ (thorn) a prick of a rous all, but singularly (sol) deficient! In a literal sense it may be different as a divisive satyr! Thus asinine feedback as para sympathetic process as driven point (prial power of Ide).

In institutional fixation ... nothing can process as the impression is piously stoic! Take the impression from the wall of time (history) and process it in a gas ...
There’s people power in the air. Maybe less busi-ness, more thinking going on these days.

Reaction score
There was a march here on Saturday, that I missed.

The city says they are going to review the ethnic and gender composition of the police. To be totally honest, every single cop I have ever seen here is a white man, or very few white women. There may be non white cops here but I have never seen any. A bit more diverse in Vancouver. Though, I can understand why a minority who has been mistreated by the cops might not want to join their organization. There are some who try to “be the change” in organizations, and end up being tokens. Pardon the pun, it wasn’t deliberate.

Reaction score
I've been listening to Gil Scott Heron quite a bit. Really listening. Not from the perspective that he was some kind of cool counter-culture half secret from a time gone by when injustice was being (to an extent) overcome - but like it's right now. And it is. It's almost exactly like 30, 40, 50 years ago. Except the neoliberal economic experiment was just really getting revved up then - and people weren't living through a pandemic (and dying disproportionately among communities of colour; not from the viral illness itself - but because racism has always been pandemic) that was about to reshape society and the economy. We are really, quite literally, at a crossroads right now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is something. Changes are happening really fast. I generally support unions but I see the unhealthy paradox in having unions that fight to keep murderous and/ or corrupt cops on the job. When the cops are basically militarized, unions that perpetuate, and hence, systematize police violence, are fascistic.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I wonder if covid has taught people that change can happen faster than we’ve been typically used to - so why waste time now?

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
I wonder if covid has taught people that change can happen faster than we’ve been typically used to - so why waste time now?
That may be part of it, for sure. Also, a lot less other things to distract people so I think these stories are getting more eyeballs.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Also, the original BLM isn't that far in the past and I think that awareness set the stage for this to some degree. IOW, between covid and where we are in history generally, maybe the time was ripe. I'm still wondering how much real change we'll see. I mean, legislation to rein in police is a start, but it doesn't mean there won't be bigots in uniform, just limit the damage they do and make it easier to get rid of them. Real change isn't going to happen overnight, even if things like legislation will help move things forward.

Reaction score
Also, the original BLM isn't that far in the past and I think that awareness set the stage for this to some degree. IOW, between covid and where we are in history generally, maybe the time was ripe. I'm still wondering how much real change we'll see. I mean, legislation to rein in police is a start, but it doesn't mean there won't be bigots in uniform, just limit the damage they do and make it easier to get rid of them. Real change isn't going to happen overnight, even if things like legislation will help move things forward.
BLM is fairly new, but black rights protestors are not. They’re an evolution of the organizations before them.

I think anyone who becomes a cop should have a psych evaluation and a psychopathy test (and not hired if they fail the latter...police forces, positions of authority in general, are no place for psychopaths. (Which reminds me of the band Rage Against the Machine - they’re trending right now. Songs written around the time of Rodney King.)

Reaction score
I just watched an interesting bit of discussion (American perspective) suggesting defunding police - money could be used for covid recovery - to stabilize the huge incoming economic hit about to happen once emergency unemployment cheques and eviction freezes stop, and so many jobs have been lost.

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Reaction score
I just watched an interesting bit of discussion (American perspective) suggesting defunding police - money could be used for covid recovery - to stabilize the huge incoming economic hit about to happen once emergency unemployment cheques and eviction freezes stop, and so many jobs have been lost.
Is that your idea to redistribute the funds for COVID recovery or the position taken in the piece? That is not at all the focus of discussions I have heard here in the Toronto area re defunding police.

Reaction score
Is that your idea to redistribute the funds for COVID recovery or the position taken in the piece? That is not at all the focus of discussions I have heard here in the Toronto area re defunding police.
It was on an American vlog. I mean - recovery as in building up social resources for people extra affected by covid, or communities at risk. So it's part of the bigger defunding picture - reallocating to health and social services.

Calls by black communities in the US for defunding police and government programs linked to privilege - and put back into the health and social programs have been made for decades. So it was part of a broader discussion on where priorities for funds need to go.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Gil Scott Heron wrote a spoken word song about a sick girl who'd been bitten by a rat, but couldn't afford a doctor - family can't afford rent for a rat infested apartment - - while white people were spending enormous amounts of money to fly to the moon. He also spoke out about trigger happy cops. For example. These issues are not new. None of this is new.

Ritafee

ONANOFFANONAGIN
Reaction score
The_Scream_Kent_Monkman_800_532.png
A woman is restrained by her hair and limbs by members of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police in “The Scream”, a 2013 painting by Indigenous artist Kent Monkman.

Reaction score
View attachment 3848
A woman is restrained by her hair and limbs by members of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police in “The Scream”, a 2013 painting by Indigenous artist Kent Monkman.
Amazing painting!