DEATH CAFE, anyone?

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Hermann

Reaction score
The other day I watched a documentary on Deutsche Welle about a "Death Cafe" in Berlin, appropriately situated near one of Berlin's big cemetaries. Apparently, Death Cafes are springing up all over Europe and North America.

In these Death Cafes, people who have lost a loved one get together to share and commiserate, and people interested in death and dying discuss it and related topics, from a religious, secular, scientific and other perspectives.

What do you think about Death Cafes? Would you like one in your area? Would you go there, and what would you want to discuss? Should a corner of WonderCafe2 become a Death Cafe?

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
*groans at @chansen * Yuk Yuks is over there, comedian.

I'm surprised that they haven't given them a more euphemistic name, though I do like the bluntness. I find it odd as a theme for a physical business, though I rather like the idea. As an online site (or a forum or thread on one, hint hint) I think it's a great idea.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Interesting, here is a website. It appears that they are not so much a specific business as something in the vein of the Socrates Cafes (which are philosophical discussion groups).

http://deathcafe.com/

Pinga

Room for All
Reaction score
You know, a grief room wouldn't be a bad idea.
We put our memorials in social or relationships, when we hear of sad news

Hermann

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, Mandella.

Death Cafe Objective: To increase the awareness of death in order to get the most out of life.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Looking at their map, there have been 90 held in Canada so far all across the country. The only one listed as "upcoming" though is on Salt Spring Island in BC.

Hermann

Reaction score
I'm not sure how a business like that could survive.

/I'll show myself out....

The one in Berlin is doing good business, good enough to stay open, anyway.

In the business of death there is never a shortage of clients. There is a sucker born every minute, and one dies every minute.
-Anonymous

Waterfall

Reaction score
Sounds like a "perky" place to be.......not! Love the idea and the concept.....hate the name.

Hermann

Reaction score
Sounds like a "perky" place to be.......not! Love the idea and the concept.....hate the name.

Why? Death is a good name.:)

DEATH IS NOT

We die for life, we live for death;
Eternal circle's consciousness
Will lead us to the sacred spot
Where life meets death,
And death is not.

-Hermann

Hermann

Reaction score
I know what you're saying, it just sounds like the coffee is lethal or made from hemlock.

I'm sure hemlock-laced coffee or some other type of death coffee is available at the Death Cafe--on sincere request.

unsafe

Reaction score
Sounds like a very negative Cafe to me ---It would be a little more positive if they had of called it --Living in the Light after Death --Gives more of a God involved feel to it ---Death Cafe feels very Satanic to me personally -----Doom and Gloom as opposed to Smiles and Giggles ----

People can say Oh --I don't fear death ---I'm not worried ----it doesn't scar me ----when the time comes to face Death they present a different tune ----- Fear of the unknown can creep in very quickly -----Jesus was afraid and was so full of anguish that He sweat blood in the Garden of Gethsemane --but bowed down to the will of His Father ----so what makes us think we can be like a Hulk Hogan in Death ----Will discussing Death in the Death Cafe help uncertainity ----- who knows ?????????--- reminds me of the Title of the movie Death Becoms Her ----

This is just my view -----If you go to a Death Cafe enjoy your tea and crumpets

Inannawhimsey

M&M, Cascadian Lovers
Reaction score
sounds like a neet idea --part of the global spiritual marketplace--

anything to demystify death

turning death from something that happens TO

to something that happens WITH

here's an interactive map of the death cafes in canada -- http://deathcafe.com/c/Canada/ (looks like there is one in Victoria, @Carolla )

Seeler

Reaction score
I certainly would like to know of a place where a person could go and discuss death - their own death, or the death of someone close to them. How does one prepare for their own death -- in particular how does one prepare for death as an alternative to a prolonged existence in a nursing home or as a burden to their family? How does one decide when life has no meaning, and what is involved in deciding to welcome death as a friend rather than fighting it?
Where could my sister go to talk about her son's death from a brain tumor at 45. People tell her 'it's not right that children die before their parents' and it upsets her. "How do they know? Maybe R--- lived exactly as long as he was meant to live. Maybe that's why he fell in love and married young - so that his family would be almost grown before he died. And maybe his father and I are meant to have long lives."
Yes, I would welcome a place to go to feel free to talk about death. In general it's a forbidden topic for polite conversation.