Daily encouragement

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
Hi friends,
I am looking for books, calendars, online messages that provides a daily quote, poem, bible quote, short story anything to encourage and provide a good start for the day. ( I didn’t say “ devotional” here, because “ devotional” for me comes with a taste of “pious” that I am not aiming at.
I have a friend who tends to depression and has a a hard time with chronic arthritis pain who I would love to get something for the new year. She is more of a book/ paper person, not so much computer literate, but I thought others here might benefit from it.
I have a German Advent calendar which has a story , poem or quote every day combined with the most beautiful photos. I wish I could get that in English for her.

Hi friends,
I am looking for books, calendars, online messages that provides a daily quote, poem, bible quote, short story anything to encourage and provide a good start for the day. ( I didn’t say “ devotional” here, because “ devotional” for me comes with a taste of “pious” that I am not aiming at.
I have a friend who tends to depression and has a a hard time with chronic arthritis pain who I would love to get something for the new year. She is more of a book/ paper person, not so much computer literate, but I thought others here might benefit from it.
I have a German Advent calendar which has a story , poem or quote every day combined with the most beautiful photos. I wish I could get that in English for her.

Sorry...re-reading your post I realize the link I offered isn't quite what you were looking for. I'll leave it though, because it's a wonderful book for any occasion.

Last edited:
My favorite Christmas advent book: The Christmas Mystery, by Jostein Gaarder. It's a kids' book, sorta, but it's not "under"written, and it's a pleasant read for an adult. I didn't mind reading it every Advent to my children for at least a decade, anyway. It's the story of a little girl who follows a sheep across both time and place, gathering friends along the way, and ending up in Bethlehem on Christmas Eve. There's a concurrent story line about a contemporary mystery, which is also solved Christmas Eve IRL by the girl. It's very clever, and quite "peaceful".

Sorry...re-reading your post I realize the link I offered isn't quite what you were looking for. I'll leave it though, because it's a wonderful book for any occasion.
Actually, you are not wrong, this could be an option. Just not for my friend, because she is one of the most “ not outdoorsy” person I know. Others here might be inspired.

I begin my day with the day's reading from a book entitled "Seasons of the Heart" by a priest S.J. Powell. It's a sort of calendar -with a reading (not from the Bible -but his own thoughts) on every day of the year. When one year ends I repeat the readings for the following year. It's a mix of faith, psychology and philosophy - and plenty of good commonsense.

Out of curiosity, I googled the author - and discovered that he got into some hot water with sex and female students.. I was shocked - but I still think his advice is helpful. It was also a reminder that one can't view life in terms of good and bad - people and life are more nuanced than that....... The man could be a monster - but he still can give excellent advice - go figure?

Great gift idea @Mrs.Anteater. At work, I used to have a daily calendar (the thick block type where each day is page that gets ripped off) that had a lovely illustration & short 'inspirational' statement for each day. I think that's a bit easier than a book - it's perhaps more natural/routine to change a calendar each day instead of picking up a book to read. If you do a google search I think you will see a variety available at places like amazon, chapters etc.

Back