Conversation Opportunity

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

GeoFee

I am who I am becoming...
Reaction score
Hi Pontifex....

I always appreciate your challenge to my thinking about matters of ultimate concern. You posted some thought in a thread now closed. Here are those thoughts, followed by my response:

That’s what most of Canada has been trying to do to Alberta for quite some time now. Cheer every time thousands lose their jobs, homes, family. Oil is BAD. Stop producing oil! No way to ship it to market. Good! Kill em all. And then go around heating your homes and buying produce from Chile, and parking your motor homes in Florida. You guys have a lot of catching up to do.

Thinking of families losing their income saddens me. I think of the tens of thousands family farms once dotting the Canadian landscape. Each farm rooted in a right relationship with nature. Gardens were planted to provide nutrition. Cows, goats and chickens were sources of necessary protein. Labour was cooperative and appreciated as an element of the natural order. Sunday was considered a day of rest.

This changed over time. Family farms are scarce in the landscape these days. They have been displaced by corporate Agra-business. These have stripped the land of its fertility by the application of diverse chemical compounds. These polluting the water table under the land and streams running through the land. And showing no interest in Sunday as a day of rest.

Those who lost their ancestral homes migrated to nearby cities. There they hired out their labour for wages. Banks offered them mortgages permitting the purchase of homes. Those loans earning the banks millions in the early years. With the rise of credit for purchase those banks now make multiple billions of dollars.

I get the impression that you take capitalism to be the way of God in our world. Am I wrong? If I am, would you share your perspective in a few words. Come, let us reason together!

Last edited:

GeoFee

I am who I am becoming...
Reaction score
And Pontifex answered him not a word.

BetteTheRed

Resident Heretic
Reaction score
This changed over time. Family farms are scarce in the landscape these days. They have been displaced by corporate Agra-business. These have stripped the land of its fertility by the application of diverse chemical compounds. These polluting the water table under the land and streams running through the land.
This process began a long time ago. The problem with the way family farms used to exist was that once you divided the land between many children (and there often were; high infant mortality be damned, families of 6-10 were not uncommon), there was less and less to divide.

And then the combines came.

My godfather was born in the 30s, to a younger son in a farm family in Saskatchewan. There was no place for him. He joined the army, served honorably to retirement, and he got his B.Sc. in Physics via his service.

The other thing that has changed, and hasn't so much in England, is the ability of a small plot to produce much richness. When you buy an old bungalow with a small square footage, and a biggish lot, and then fill the lot with a McMansion, your chances of having much room for a Victory-type Garden decrease. Where did this passion for having too much friggin' room come from?