Church silos

Welcome to Wondercafe2!

A community where we discuss, share, and have some fun together. Join today and become a part of it!

jimkenney12

Reaction score
About 1994 a person who had just been recognized as a Lay Patorsl Minister (now titled Designated Lay Minister) gave a powerful message asking churches to stop acting as silos separate from each other and be open to sharing the gifts of their leaders, both paid and volunteer. Other than through presbytery I saw very little willingness by congregations to collaborate and cooperate except for special projects like refugee families. There seems to be a mutual possessiveness between clergy and the congregations they serve or think they own.

My friend suggested that leaders who are especially strong in a particular area of ministry could support that area of ministry in near by pastoral charges and their congregations might benefit from access to different leadership gifts from leaders in other pastoral charges

I wonder if this pandemic (there will probably be more in the future) has opened the door to this kind of cooperation a little wider?

Luce NDs

Reaction score
About 1994 a person who had just been recognized as a Lay Patorsl Minister (now titled Designated Lay Minister) gave a powerful message asking churches to stop acting as silos separate from each other and be open to sharing the gifts of their leaders, both paid and volunteer. Other than through presbytery I saw very little willingness by congregations to collaborate and cooperate except for special projects like refugee families. There seems to be a mutual possessiveness between clergy and the congregations they serve or think they own.

My friend suggested that leaders who are especially strong in a particular area of ministry could support that area of ministry in near by pastoral charges and their congregations might benefit from access to different leadership gifts from leaders in other pastoral charges

I wonder if this pandemic (there will probably be more in the future) has opened the door to this kind of cooperation a little wider?
With a stonewalled stoic group ... stele 'd with fear?

Isn't there something in the great books about abandoning fear of the greatest fear? Yea I walk ...

Mrs.Anteater

Just keep going....
Reaction score
Which gifts are you thinking of, Jim? My thought is that volunteers are in general stretched thin, so if it isn’t about a project with another congregation, wouldn’t it double the work? Like the financial volunteer not only doing their own churches budget but also the neighbouring church’s? Amalgamating seems like a better solution.

Mendalla

Eastern Lowland Gorilla
Reaction score
Which gifts are you thinking of, Jim? My thought is that volunteers are in general stretched thin, so if it isn’t about a project with another congregation, wouldn’t it double the work? Like the financial volunteer not only doing their own churches budget but also the neighbouring church’s? Amalgamating seems like a better solution.
That's volunteer staff, though. He is also talking about professional staff, and I think that's where the real opportunities may lie. So maybe instead of three nearby churches laying out for a half-time youth pastor each, they go together and pay one church's to work full-time and organize youth activities and services and such regionally instead of competing with each other. That's kind of what he has in mind, I think.

We have heard from seeler before how the churches in Fredericton cooperate on summer services and Good Friday and such. That's another example.

The problem is that some (not all) churches, ironically, don't always like sharing and even see other churches as competition at times.

Carolla

wondering & wandering
Reaction score
Many years ago, my church realized that with the very few youth we had, the 'youth group' experience was pretty poor. So we opted to connect with another United church & send our youth over there - it worked pretty well, which I would mostly attribute to the stellar leadership provided by our former WC member Birthstone.

In the summer we share worship with a neighbouring UC - worship 'there' with their minister & music staff in July, worship at our own church in Aug. Good Friday also. Seems more driven by summer attendance numbers, staff vacation needs, and financial considerations than by a sense of mission & ministry.

Some years ago the UC GO Project started a 'travelling VBS' model. GO hired the staff & developed the curriculum; then churches would contract them to come for a week or 2 to provide a VBS type programme, with the contracting church providing a residence space for the camp staff for the week and the meals & any transport needed for campers. It was a good programme - I was involved with it for a couple of years. So some youth consequently had a full summer of paid employment & leadership development, while also experiencing life in different communities. Seems like we could do much more of that.

Sadly, I haven't really seen any increase in sharing of resources etc in my area in these COVID times. Churches are still independently exhausting themselves learning how to do on-line type worship. I had a discussion recently with several ministers and wondered aloud what might happen if they actually 'beamed in' others for a Sunday service & how much courage it would take to shake up the 'status quo' - the 'its what we pay you to do' crowd.

KayTheCurler

Reaction score
Many years ago western Canada had Sunday School by Post and Sunday School Vans run by Anglicans. I knew someone who worked on a van as a young woman and had a great time. I've seen references to both things on line over the years but didn't find much on a quick search just now. In SK they were funded by the diocese and carried two young women and supplies to otherwise unserviced areas.

Tabitha

journeying
Reaction score
when I was in Edmonton St. Paul's partnered with Knox Met in the summer. Both United churches are about 5k apart in the city. Summer services were shared but with a twist. Folks from St. Paul's led the services at Knox Met AND THE OTHER WAY AROUND. sO ANYONE ATTENDING EITHER KNEW THE BUILDING OR KNEW THE WORHSHIP lADERS.
hERE IN pENTICTON ALL THE MAINLINE CHURCHES GOT TOGETHER AND HIRED A YOUTH MINISTER. wE EVEN GOT A uNITED cHURCH GRANT. aT THE END OF 3 YEARS (AND THE END OF THE GRANT) IT FIZZLED OUT FOR A NUMBER OF REASONS. Sorry for all the caps. Yelling was not intended.